Westvletern 12 - My 40 page journey to monastery in Belgium to finally try the Westvleteren 12

Reads 5058 • Replies 64 • Started Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:47:21 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

p0urmeac0ld0ne
beers 791 º 22:34 Tue 8/22/2017

this was a fantastic post! i had absolutely no idea this was so close to dunkirk and calais. thank you.

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 10:54 Wed 8/23/2017

Thank you P0urmeac0ld0ne! Im really happy that it was helpful :) 175 km it seems, thats 2.5 hours with car, happy hunting!

p0urmeac0ld0ne
beers 791 º 11:42 Thu 8/24/2017

absolutely trying to shoehorn a visit to the gift shop / cafe into an planned visit to belgium in december :P

MarcoDL
beers 9607 º places 213 º 12:15 Thu 8/24/2017

Originally posted by BeerSensations
Originally posted by MarcoDL
Originally posted by Maakun
Originally posted by adamnowek
I’ve never seen it in either country at a store or bar for those kinds of prices; you’ll almost always find it for 15-17€, regardless of whether or not it’s at a bar or a shop. The rare occasions that I’ve had it in a bar, I’ve only done so at Gollem in Amsterdam (the Raamsteeg location), partially because they actually have the Westvleteren goblets.

Just here in my local area:

Van Alsem Den Haag (shop)
Doerak Delft (bar, they have the 12 for 10 euro)

I don’t know, it’s not like I actually order this beer often or something, but when I see it it’s always cheaper than in those online stores.

I have the same experience. The beer is usually available in the better beer shops like de Bierkoning in Amsterdam. Webshops have it often as well, like this one for 11,95: https://www.biernavigatie.nl/.

i could not find it there though, maybe its not in stock atm

It was available when I posted. It should pop back up in a short while, they have it quite often.

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 15:02 Thu 8/24/2017

Originally posted by p0urmeac0ld0ne
absolutely trying to shoehorn a visit to the gift shop / cafe into an planned visit to belgium in december :P

Thats awesome have a beer for me as well :)
The beer in the giftshop are being rationed as well as when ordering from the monastery so it might be an idea to bring a friend that isnt that fond of beer that can buy some for you ^^

Quite ok price tho, 15 euro for 2 beers and an original glass when you buy a gift package. You can only buy 4 gift packages per person.

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 15:03 Thu 8/24/2017

Originally posted by BeerSensations
Originally posted by adamnowek
I’ve never seen it in either country at a store or bar for those kinds of prices; you’ll almost always find it for 15-17€, regardless of whether or not it’s at a bar or a shop. The rare occasions that I’ve had it in a bar, I’ve only done so at Gollem in Amsterdam (the Raamsteeg location), partially because they actually have the Westvleteren goblets.

Just here in my local area:

Van Alsem Den Haag (shop)
Doerak Delft (bar, they have the 12 for 10 euro)

I don’t know, it’s not like I actually order this beer often or something, but when I see it it’s always cheaper than in those online stores.

I have the same experience. The beer is usually available in the better beer shops like de Bierkoning in Amsterdam. Webshops have it often as well, like this one for 11,95: https://www.biernavigatie.nl/.

i could not find it there though, maybe its not in stock atm

It was available when I posted. It should pop back up in a short while, they have it quite often.

cool then I´ll check back in a while :)

JaKeAFC
beers 2030 º places 50 º 03:49 Wed 9/6/2017

I went to In De Vrede a couple of weeks ago. Great place, packed with locals (there was some sort of military memorial march).
Departed from Gand via train to Poperinge, a nice small town, visited the Hops museum there, and the local Hummelbier is very good. Rented a bike and ran in the middle of hop fields to st.sixtus abbey. Tried all the 3 beers, price is around 4€ each. Blond and XII are remarkably good, i liked a bit less the 8, still very nice.

Do a favor to yourself and go there on a nice sunny day, it's wonderful.
Respect the abbey policy, there are no resellers, whoever is asking you 10€ for a VW bottle it's profiting over monks and against their will. Do this only if you are desperate to get the tick...

craftyrocker
beers 299 º 06:45 Wed 9/6/2017

$50AUD/bottle at one store in Sydney...

SilkTork
beers 7751 º places 111 º 07:53 Thu 9/7/2017

Originally posted by SilkTork

https://www.westvleterenbeers.com/shop/

Euh, that’s even more expensive than most other places that sell Westvleteren...

I agree. Personally I have never bought it online, but that was just to indicate that Westy is not a hard beer to get, and there isn't actually a need to go to the monastery. RateBeer users tend to know a shop that sells it because we are beer geeks. The blog is written by someone who isn't a geek, so he thinks that Westy is a difficult beer to get hold of, and he's suggesting ways that people can buy it, not knowing that it can also be bought online.

I think buying from the monastery is something that most of us simply haven't got the time and patience to do, especially when we can get it elsewhere. The thing about buying from the monastery is that it's an attainment and a goal in itself, quite separate and distinct from buying a bottle (or even a case) of Westy. In a gathering of 1000 RateBeerians I would think that over 900 would have drunk Westy 12, but only 1 would have bought direct from the monastery.

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 16:32 Mon 9/11/2017

https://www.westvleterenbeers.com/shop/

Euh, that’s even more expensive than most other places that sell Westvleteren...

I agree. Personally I have never bought it online, but that was just to indicate that Westy is not a hard beer to get, and there isn't actually a need to go to the monastery. RateBeer users tend to know a shop that sells it because we are beer geeks. The blog is written by someone who isn't a geek, so he thinks that Westy is a difficult beer to get hold of, and he's suggesting ways that people can buy it, not knowing that it can also be bought online.

I think buying from the monastery is something that most of us simply haven't got the time and patience to do, especially when we can get it elsewhere. The thing about buying from the monastery is that it's an attainment and a goal in itself, quite separate and distinct from buying a bottle (or even a case) of Westy. In a gathering of 1000 RateBeerians I would think that over 900 would have drunk Westy 12, but only 1 would have bought direct from the monastery.

Is being a geek a good thing? Does having a passion for beer, to a degree where you travel to your dream beer brewery qualify as geekness? Does geek mean that you have to have the same amount of experience , with or without passion for beer, as you? Or, having had this interest the same amount of time as you, to qualify as a geek, getting "your approval into the beer geekness sphere"? Well, call me what you want, geek or not, I have a passion for beer, which I hope shines through in my blog. If you dont like it, thats just fine :)

Take care fellow beer enthusiast :)