Westvletern 12 - My 40 page journey to monastery in Belgium to finally try the Westvleteren 12

Reads 5059 • Replies 64 • Started Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:47:21 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 19:27 Sat 8/19/2017

Originally posted by MacBoost
Blogs are pretty much the worst thing on the internet. Beer blogs doubly so.

Thank you MacBoost! I love you so much! You are my very first hater :) Im sending all my love and compassion to you :) You will be in my blog history forever *hug*

Peace!

Take care
/Henrik

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 19:46 Sat 8/19/2017

Originally posted by SilkTork
Originally posted by BeerSensations
Originally posted by Maakun
Nice read! But these prices in the Brussels tourist bars/shops are crazy, there’s plenty of places in Belgium and even surrounding countries where you can get it a lot cheaper.

That sounds intriguing! The cheapest i managed to find was Au Brasseur (bar) and the Beer store Brussels and they both charged 15 Euro a bottle. What other places do you know about that are cheaper? It would be awesome to add a few places to the list :)

Most beer geeks know of shops in their area which sell it. I’ve always bought mine here in the UK - apart from some vintage St. Bernardus brewery bottles I picked up in Amsterdam. I’ve never paid exorbitant prices for the regular or the vintage.

You can also buy it online in several places - such as http://www.beerofbelgium.com/en/trappist-westvleteren-12-33cl.html

and

https://www.westvleterenbeers.com/shop/

I’d quite fancy buying a couple of cases from the monastery for the fun of it, but I think that in itself is quite a tricky route. Certainly trickier than getting it via the more conventional ways that most of us have used.

There are some desirable beers that are genuinely hard to get hold of - if you want a theme for your blog, you could start a quest for beers such as Hair of the Dog Dave. Or, better yet, go dig out some of the really vintage beers such as Bass Kings Ale or Allsopp’s Arctic Ale (which has eluded me). We know there are only a few of these beers left, and that each time someone opens a bottle and drinks it, there is one less bottle left in the world!

http://zythophile.co.uk/2012/06/10/an-1875-arctic-ale-tasting/

Unfortunately its not possible to buy the Westvleteren 12 in Sweden on a regular basis , or even order it from the state controlled Systembolaget. As I said in the blog, once in 2013 1400 bottles were sold, 4 bottles limit per person and all bottles were sold in 7(!) seconds. I guess thats why / one of the reasons the beer is so sought after in Sweden. I just found out about a bar in Sweden (Stockholm) that is selling the beer, I just need to confirm it first though.

I have seen the beer for sale at online stores, but I have not ordered any beers from these places as of yet. The overall cost is quite high from online stores and its abit hard to know if the beer is shipped the right way and if it has been stored at the right temperature etc. I will try it though.

"There are some desirable beers that are genuinely hard to get hold of - if you want a theme for your blog, you could start a quest for beers such as Hair of the Dog Dave. Or, better yet, go dig out some of the really vintage beers such as Bass Kings Ale or Allsopp’s Arctic Ale (which has eluded me). We know there are only a few of these beers left, and that each time someone opens a bottle and drinks it, there is one less bottle left in the world! "
This sounds really exciting, that really sounds like an epic quest :) I will most definately take a closer look at that :)

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 19:49 Sat 8/19/2017

Nice read! But these prices in the Brussels tourist bars/shops are crazy, there’s plenty of places in Belgium and even surrounding countries where you can get it a lot cheaper.

That sounds intriguing! The cheapest i managed to find was Au Brasseur (bar) and the Beer store Brussels and they both charged 15 Euro a bottle. What other places do you know about that are cheaper? It would be awesome to add a few places to the list :)

Basically every beer bar and shop in Belgium and The Netherlands has it. Usually between 9-13 euro for the 12.

That sounds just great, do you know any concrete places that do sell it for 9-13 euro each? I would really appreciate some more places to visit where you can experience the Westvleteren 12 :)

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 05:31 Sun 8/20/2017

I’ve never seen it in either country at a store or bar for those kinds of prices; you’ll almost always find it for 15-17€, regardless of whether or not it’s at a bar or a shop. The rare occasions that I’ve had it in a bar, I’ve only done so at Gollem in Amsterdam (the Raamsteeg location), partially because they actually have the Westvleteren goblets.

rhoihessegold
beers 6641 º places 417 º 05:56 Sun 8/20/2017

Check Beer Mania in Brussels. I bought one there about 2 years ago for 12€ and a quick search one their Website Shows that they still want 12€ for it.

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 12:59 Sun 8/20/2017

Originally posted by Maracuja05
Check Beer Mania in Brussels. I bought one there about 2 years ago for 12€ and a quick search one their Website Shows that they still want 12€ for it.

Avoid Beer Mania. They’re notorious for keeping a lot of their bottles in the front window (which gets direct sunlight for at least a few hours in the day) and then placing them on the shelves. The number of spoilt beers in that store is outrageous because he has no idea when it comes to properly storing bottles.

SinH4
beers 15468 º places 416 º 16:07 Sun 8/20/2017

How would you further compare it to a fresh Westvleteren 12, except that its more like port wine? Is it still roughly the same taste or did it change alot after all those years?

You would be able to say it’s a dark Belgian Strong, but besides that, it has of course changed *a lot*

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 19:46 Sun 8/20/2017

Thanks Maracuja05! That is actually an alternative, I will try that shop out :) They seem to have quite some in stock as well.
The shipping is quite high, 30 euros even if you just order 1 beer so a larger order is almost needed to get the prices per bottle down abit. Still it gonna be around 20 Euros per bottle in the end.

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 19:51 Sun 8/20/2017

Originally posted by adamnowek

Avoid Beer Mania. They’re notorious for keeping a lot of their bottles in the front window (which gets direct sunlight for at least a few hours in the day) and then placing them on the shelves. The number of spoilt beers in that store is outrageous because he has no idea when it comes to properly storing bottles.

Hm yeah that might be a problem, you would really want them to store the beer properly, 12-16 degrees celcius or so in the dark. Ill give it a go anyway and see what i get. :)

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 19:55 Sun 8/20/2017

Originally posted by SinH4
How would you further compare it to a fresh Westvleteren 12, except that its more like port wine? Is it still roughly the same taste or did it change alot after all those years?

You would be able to say it’s a dark Belgian Strong, but besides that, it has of course changed *a lot*

ok cool, I will try to get a hold of some more of the older beers to do a side by side shootout between fresh and aged, that would be really interesting