Westvletern 12 - My 40 page journey to monastery in Belgium to finally try the Westvleteren 12

Reads 5057 • Replies 64 • Started Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:47:21 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 16:37 Mon 9/11/2017

Originally posted by SilkTork
Originally posted by Maakun

https://www.westvleterenbeers.com/shop/

Euh, that’s even more expensive than most other places that sell Westvleteren...

In a gathering of 1000 RateBeerians I would think that over 900 would have drunk Westy 12, but only 1 would have bought direct from the monastery.

You are probably right. My Westy was by way of a generous gift from Ian (Harrisoni). I would imagine a lot of Ratebeerians have similar stories.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 21:38 Mon 9/11/2017

Thanks for sharing.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 06:29 Tue 9/12/2017

You know you could have bought this beer in the USA. I bought a 6 pack of it here

SilkTork
beers 7751 º places 111 º 10:45 Tue 9/12/2017

Originally posted by BeerSensations
Originally posted by Maakun

https://www.westvleterenbeers.com/shop/

Euh, that’s even more expensive than most other places that sell Westvleteren...

I agree. Personally I have never bought it online, but that was just to indicate that Westy is not a hard beer to get, and there isn't actually a need to go to the monastery. RateBeer users tend to know a shop that sells it because we are beer geeks. The blog is written by someone who isn't a geek, so he thinks that Westy is a difficult beer to get hold of, and he's suggesting ways that people can buy it, not knowing that it can also be bought online.

I think buying from the monastery is something that most of us simply haven't got the time and patience to do, especially when we can get it elsewhere. The thing about buying from the monastery is that it's an attainment and a goal in itself, quite separate and distinct from buying a bottle (or even a case) of Westy. In a gathering of 1000 RateBeerians I would think that over 900 would have drunk Westy 12, but only 1 would have bought direct from the monastery.

Is being a geek a good thing? Does having a passion for beer, to a degree where you travel to your dream beer brewery qualify as geekness? Does geek mean that you have to have the same amount of experience , with or without passion for beer, as you? Or, having had this interest the same amount of time as you, to qualify as a geek, getting "your approval into the beer geekness sphere"? Well, call me what you want, geek or not, I have a passion for beer, which I hope shines through in my blog. If you dont like it, thats just fine :)

Take care fellow beer enthusiast :)

There is no value judgement being given to "beer geek" - indeed, many geeks would consider it a negative. We are mostly geeks on this site, Not everyone, but pretty certainly those of us on the forums. We kind of live to collect beer. Our lives are dominated by it. Visiting the Westy monastery and writing an article about it does not in itself qualify someone for being a geek, but if they continued to chase after beers, such that a significant part of their income and pretty much all their spare time is devoted to beer hunting, then they'll be getting there. Is that a good thing? Not if you have a limited income and a family! ;-)

We meet up regularly, and often (not just once), fly across the world in chase of beers. We get frustrated if someone suggests going to a bar with no new ticks, and get pissed off if someone buys us a beer we've already had. We are pretty unsocial to non-geeks as when we're in a pub or bar we spend most of the time trying every new beer and making notes all the time. The only people we'll freely talk to in a bar is other beer geeks who understand what we're doing, or the staff who might have something special to offer, or a new beer about to come on.

At the moment you are putting your message here to tell us about your article. And we are reaching out to you to fill in some gaps in your knowledge. You don't appear to be a geek, you haven't joined the site to rate beers (yet), but are here to tell us about your article. Fine. That happens, and we welcome on-topic messages. And we welcome new people into the fold.

I think you could continue writing on beers, and do a series of articles on hard to get hold of beers (or you could have fun trying to get every beer in the RateBeer Top 50). In the process of doing that you might find you enjoy hunting beers (not just one, but a whole selection of them across the world), and the crazy but friendly world of fellow beer geeks.