White Labs Yeast Vault

Reads 2330 • Replies 12 • Started Friday, December 18, 2015 5:25:31 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 17:25 Fri 12/18/2015

We’ve collected strains from around the world for over 20 years and kept them locked away. Until now. Through The Yeast Vault Program we are now releasing new, creative, and unique strains. Most have never been used in commercial products, some have names you can barely pronounce, and all are uniquely White Labs in quality and performance. Now we’re giving you the opportunity to open The Vault.

When at least 250 orders for a strain are entered, you’ll receive an email notifying you the strain has gone into production and the estimated ship date. At that time, your credit card will be charged.

https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-vault

CLevar
places 23 º 07:29 Sat 12/19/2015

I’d love to see this gain some traction. A bunch in there I’d like to play with!

HornyDevil
07:31 Sat 12/19/2015

They forgot, "All yeast strains, regardless of species, will be contaminated with Saccharomyces."

CLevar
places 23 º 08:17 Sat 12/19/2015

Originally posted by HornyDevil
They forgot, "All yeast strains, regardless of species, will be contaminated with Saccharomyces."

Restreak for isolation, bro

Bacterial
beers 3140 º places 134 º 12:55 Sat 12/19/2015

Originally posted by CLevar
I’d love to see this gain some traction. A bunch in there I’d like to play with!

The Whites and Kara (Cara?) were on the most recent Session by the Brewing Network. They wanted to start out with 25, but expect it to grow much bigger as people get used to the format. Its a cool idea, for sure!

They said this eventually will replace the ’Platinum Series’ they do over the year.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 13:06 Sat 12/19/2015

Originally posted by Bacterial

The Whites and Kara (Cara?) were on the most recent Session by the Brewing Network. They wanted to start out with 25, but expect it to grow much bigger as people get used to the format. Its a cool idea, for sure!

They said this eventually will replace the ’Platinum Series’ they do over the year.

Yeah, I listened to that as well. The only thing that worries me is that many of these strains were tested on their brewing system and put on tap in the tasting room. When I was there last year, most of the beers had terrible fermentation problems. Not sure if it was the strains or just their process, but I know for sure I had the Leewenhoek saison and I think one of the English strains and wasn’t impressed at all.

They even admitted that most of these strains haven’t really been tested thoroughly, so it’s hard to say how they’ll perform. Even so, I’ll probably order a couple of them. Should make for a fun experiment either way.

It is a great idea to allow people to essentially vote for which yeast goes into production.

HornyDevil
16:26 Sat 12/19/2015

Originally posted by joeneugs
They even admitted that most of these strains haven’t really been tested thoroughly, so it’s hard to say how they’ll perform.

Not that making beer with other genera of yeast isn’t interesting, but if it doesn’t produce great end products, it can stay just that. A novelty.

CLevar
places 23 º 17:26 Sat 12/19/2015

They even admitted that most of these strains haven’t really been tested thoroughly, so it’s hard to say how they’ll perform.

Not that making beer with other genera of yeast isn’t interesting, but if it doesn’t produce great end products, it can stay just that. A novelty.

Just because a strain doesn’t make good beer on its own doesn’t mean it has no place in the arsenal. For example, I know we’d both love to get our hands on Deb. for a low price. Seems like this is a better option than buying from a culture collection at 200 bucks.

peepthesot
beers 10 º places 6 º 18:21 Sat 12/19/2015

I never could see the point of switching out yeast strains for every brew the way some other amateurs do. I’ve been homebrewing since the 1970s, and my favorite strain (and the one I use more than any other) is still the first liquid sample that was given to me in the early ’80s that I’ve kept reusing ever since then (and I don’t know...or care...what strain it actually is). I like repeatability and to be able to depend on a predictable result. I’ve variously tried other strains and there are two others i use with some frequency. but other than switching out when starting out (to find a favorite) I honestly don’t see the sense in doing so for brew after brew (and most especially, buying a fresh vial or smack pack for every brew makes no sense, considering that repitching actually _improves_ performance if done correctly).
To each his own, I suppose.

HornyDevil
06:47 Sun 12/20/2015

Just because a strain doesn’t make good beer on its own doesn’t mean it has no place in the arsenal. For example, I know we’d both love to get our hands on Deb. for a low price. Seems like this is a better option than buying from a culture collection at 200 bucks.

Maybe I didn’t phrase that exactly how I meant it, because I agree 100% with you.

HornyDevil
08:22 Sun 12/20/2015

Originally posted by peepthesot
I never could see the point of switching out yeast strains for every brew the way some other amateurs do.

I guess you just have to find the ones that you like to work with and that suit your brewing style. I’ve used dozens of strains over the years, but only a small percentage of them are ones that I use on a consistent basis.

Originally posted by peepthesot I’ve been homebrewing since the 1970s, and my favorite strain (and the one I use more than any other) is still the first liquid sample that was given to me in the early ’80s that I’ve kept reusing ever since then (and I don’t know...or care...what strain it actually is). I like repeatability and to be able to depend on a predictable result.

Just wondering how you’re doing this. Do you keep it on a slant? Do you have a mother culture that you pull from to make a starter before you pitch?

Originally posted by peepthesotI’ve variously tried other strains and there are two others i use with some frequency. but other than switching out when starting out (to find a favorite) I honestly don’t see the sense in doing so for brew after brew (and most especially, buying a fresh vial or smack pack for every brew makes no sense, considering that repitching actually _improves_ performance if done correctly).

Using yeast for multiple generations is a positive in many circumstances, BUT (and this is a big but) you have to know how long you can go in a linear fashion because every subsequent generation gives you genetic shift, which will, inevitably, give you a shift in what your yeast produce from a sensory perspective.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer