Euro 2012 - what are you drinking?

Reads 34492 • Replies 605 • Started Friday, June 8, 2012 9:18:40 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 867 º 01:17 Wed 6/20/2012

Disgusted even more since yesterday. Congatulations FIFA/UEFA/whoever the hell’s responsible, but you ruined what was a damn interesting tournament by catering to and bending over for the bigger countries.

Because money’s more important than the game, right?

Fin
beers 17274 º places 1653 º 01:42 Wed 6/20/2012

Originally posted by Marko
Disgusted even more since yesterday. Congatulations FIFA/UEFA/whoever the hell’s responsible, but you ruined what was a damn interesting tournament by catering to and bending over for the bigger countries.

What’s got your goat then? If it was the goal that wasn’t given, then I think just about everyone in England would agree and accept that the goal shouldhave been given, though I understand that there was a clear offside during that move that went unnoticed. England may have benefited on this occasion but lest we not forget we were on the receiving end in South Africa in the last World Cup when Lampards goal that clearly crossed the line wasn’t given at an equally critical point of the game, I think that his goal if given would have drawn us level with Germany at the time. I am all in favour of bringing in goal line technology and now that for the second tournament in a row it has sparked some debate it may well hasten the process of bringing it in. Btw isn’t it going to be trialled in England this season in one of the four top divisions? I understand that they had two systems ready to trial hawkeye and one that will see a microchip inserted into the ball, I think that were considering using them both.

omhper
beers 40245 º places 332 º 02:13 Wed 6/20/2012

Originally posted by harrisoni
Boy, am I going to enjoy my meeting tomorrow with my French colleagues. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wouldn’t you have enjoyed that meeting even more if you would have missed out on the 3-2 goal against Sweden?

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 867 º 03:06 Wed 6/20/2012

Originally posted by Fin

What’s got your goat then? If it was the goal that wasn’t given, then I think just about everyone in England would agree and accept that the goal shouldhave been given, though I understand that there was a clear offside during that move that went unnoticed. England may have benefited on this occasion but lest we not forget we were on the receiving end in South Africa in the last World Cup when Lampards goal that clearly crossed the line wasn’t given at an equally critical point of the game, I think that his goal if given would have drawn us level with Germany at the time. I am all in favour of bringing in goal line technology and now that for the second tournament in a row it has sparked some debate it may well hasten the process of bringing it in. Btw isn’t it going to be trialled in England this season in one of the four top divisions? I understand that they had two systems ready to trial hawkeye and one that will see a microchip inserted into the ball, I think that were considering using them both.

True about the offside, but that’s a far, far easier mistake to make than the other one, made by the guy whose ONLY job is to look if the ball crossed the line or not. A mistake made years ago doesn’t make this one any less of a mistake, heck, this is worse, as the result was tighter and as I said, there was a guy this time who HAD to see it. It’s a bit of a "payback" for the match against Germany, hopefully not intentional, and I fully understand how that might make (some of?) you guys feel better about it. I’m not attacking England or their fans - only the deeply corrupt system.

The fact that pretty much only the smaller (or in Ukraine’s case "smaller") countries got butchered by the refs in the last 8 games (feel free to correct me) might’ve been a coincidence, but it goes with what they’ve been doing, especially in slightly lower profile matches for years now. Heck, even persistently supporting blatant, crippling corruption for at least a decade like in my country’s football union (ok with them as long as they get paid on time).

That fuck Platini calls our fans "assholes" for throwing flares at the pitch? Oh well, I didn’t see him recant that statement when it was discovered that a RUSSIAN guy threw the flare that ended up on the pitch from the stand above ours. I didn’t see the world media spread THAT particular bit of information. We get called out for racism? Ok, fair enough, I’d beat the shit out of the moron who started with such antics if I was standing next to him on the stand - it’s only a persistent few that ruin our reputation time and time again, but why didn’t they attack the Spanish fans as much for doing the same bloody thing?

This Euro is a clusterfuck - and it’s not even necessarily the Polish/Ukrainian fault. The head organizations screwed up everything they could, clearly demonstrating once more how insanely bad some policies they’re persistently holding on to are, from the draw to the referees. I mean, what the hell is a guy voted to be the WORST referee in the Bundesliga by the players still doing on such an event? Why, if not for someone’s dirty work.

We’ve been underrated, underestimated by the press as usual, even our own. As usual, we’ve proven that we’re far better than that - a team that according to some anglophone press I’ve been to should’ve finished with 0 to 3 points, was cheated out of having 7 or maaybe 9 and out of the tournament. Fuck it, I’m mad, and will be for some time now (Mediterranean blood ;)). Had to vent.

Nightfall
beers 1313 º places 45 º 03:14 Wed 6/20/2012

Marko has a good point. The Referreing so far is miserable and usually in favour of the big teams.
Even we greeks who in the end where lucky to qualify, being a small country (and currently the outcast of EU :D ) , had serious judgements against us in all 3 matches (disallowed goal, penalty not given + yellow card , red card for nothing).
And many other "smaller teams" as well.
Ukraine’s goal that crossed the line, a penalty not given for Crotia minutes before Spain made it 1-0, and and...

ElDesmadre
beers 6867 º places 428 º 05:54 Wed 6/20/2012

Had a lovely Valscura Canipa yesterday while pondering on the logic of sending a blind UEFA official to watch the English goal line.

Fin
beers 17274 º places 1653 º 09:09 Wed 6/20/2012

We’ve been underrated, underestimated by the press as usual, even our own. As usual, we’ve proven that we’re far better than that - a team that according to some anglophone press I’ve been to should’ve finished with 0 to 3 points, was cheated out of having 7 or maaybe 9 and out of the tournament. Fuck it, I’m mad, and will be for some time now (Mediterranean blood ;)). Had to vent.

I am not sure that I agree with you Marko, I think that over here Croatia have always been very highly regarded, you’ve been in the top ten rankings for some years now and always been a very difficult, talented and dangerous side to play against, thank heavens you weren’t in our group. I didn’t see the last groups games in your group but from just about everyone I’ve spoken to and from much of what I’ve heard on the radio you were indeed very, very unlucky not to get something from that game against Spain. However I am not sure that this necessarily equates to being some sort of stitch of the smaller nations by UEFA. If there is a nation that feels more cheated and treated unfairly by UEFA and also FIFA over the years than England then I would be very, very surprised, Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini are extremely unpopular over here both not just because of how the the team have often felt cheated but also because of how Englands bids to stage football tournaments appears to have gone down with many in the higher echelons of footballs governing body. Please note I am not saying that these are my views, though I also don’t have much time for UEFA or FIFA but I guess that these would be the views of the average man in the street over here.

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 867 º 10:05 Wed 6/20/2012

Anglophone doesn’t equate to British or English :). International would be even better.

Let’s just say that it you were as blatantly robbed as we were on most of our tournaments in the last 20 years, there’d be feature movies and documentaries about it.

That said, we did get help twice (three yellow cards for Simunic, once vs. Italy), but neither of those two cases really helped us in the end.

omhper
beers 40245 º places 332 º 14:53 Wed 6/20/2012

Clearly refereeing has progressed since 1982 though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIAT74L3R38

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 10:10 Thu 6/21/2012

Originally posted by omhper
Clearly refereeing has progressed since 1982 though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIAT74L3R38

Still the most horrendous injustice I remember in football. As an 11 year old, I was jumping around the lounge in my parents house in my pyjamas (my parents had a very strict go to bed time) screaming about why Schumacher should have been sent off.

However, the Brazil side from 1982 remains just about my favourite team of all time. They were so good. So nonchalent, so effortless, the skill levels, the touch, the flair. Amazing. Sublime even.