Euro 2012 - what are you drinking?

Reads 34484 • Replies 605 • Started Friday, June 8, 2012 9:18:40 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Mortlach
beers 4771 º places 10 º 01:32 Sun 6/10/2012

Originally posted by Alen
Italy vs. Spain tomorrow. Can’t wait.

Little good can be expected of us.

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 01:53 Sun 6/10/2012

Originally posted by Mortlach

Little good can be expected of us.

but the italians thrive on confusion and disharmony plus they know how to win tournaments

yespr
beers 55597 º places 43 º 02:00 Sun 6/10/2012

Brewfist/beer here caterpillar pale ale at Ma Che Siete Venuti a Fa while watching Netherlands vs Denmark together with other danes and dutchmen. Mikkeller single hop simcoe and Nøgne Ø Citra at 4:20 on the roof together with a lot of Italiens during Germany vs Portugal. italy vs Spain tonight will be a blast....

SilkTork
beers 7749 º places 111 º 02:09 Sun 6/10/2012

Originally posted by Marko
4 good games? What, you guys came with low expectations? Most people I know who really follow football agree that only the Russia-Czech Republic match was really "interesting".

Congrats to the Danes, the Netherlands basically ate itself. Germany - Portugal as expected, with looong periods of boredom pierced by momentary attacks of interesting footie.

Heck, the under-18 match between Hajduk Split and Valencia that I saw live the day before yesterday was more interesting than the four of them combined. And yeah, Hajduk thrashed them, as they did with Dynamo Kiev (6-1) yesterday.

The opening game was full of interest - the Poles were really trying hard. They got into the spirit of the tournament big time, and any (cough, cough) "real" football fan would have appreciated their enthusiasm and effort, and would have shared the agony and drama of how the game unfolded. That by winning this game the hosts, who are by far the lowest ranked in their group, had a real chance of qualifying out of the group made the whole thing even more exciting.

I found the Russia game the least interesting so far. It was expected that Russia would win, and - yawn - they did so by banging in lots of goals so the game was never balanced. I suppose Russian fans would have liked to see such a thrashing, but for others the only pleasure was in watching some competent football. A worthy game, but "interesting"? No way. I know some painters and decorators who can wallpaper a wall with great skill - and there is some pleasure in watching that, but not for long....

SilkTork
beers 7749 º places 111 º 02:14 Sun 6/10/2012

Originally posted by harrisoni

Germany vs Portugal - again one of the pre-tournament favourites struggling to find their way past a Portugese team that looked dangerous on the break. Probably the least exciting of the 4 games so far.

Apart from the last 20 minutes, which were the most exciting of the tournament so far. To see some of the best players in Europe battling like devils on one side to score, and defending with grim determination on the other side, was quite breath-taking. Some stunning play by Europe’s best individual player, and yet he couldn’t score.

EdKing
beers 3663 º places 307 º 05:16 Sun 6/10/2012

The cynicism of the Portugese backfired massively. When they were forced to play football in the last 10 minutes, they looked really good. Too late though.

SudsMcDuff
beers 8597 º places 190 º 05:49 Sun 6/10/2012

bore fest, can’t stand either team..

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 867 º 06:44 Sun 6/10/2012

Originally posted by harrisoni
4 good games? What, you guys came with low expectations?

Yes, I came with low expectations, 1st group games in tournaments tend to be defensive and most teams are happy simply not to lose their first game. And clearly you weren’t drinking enough during the games to make them MORE interesting.

As for my not REALLY following football and therefore my opinion being less valid, well, I suppose it’s like someone on here with 10,000 ratings saying to someone with only 100 ratings, "you’re opinion isn’t valid of a beer until you get to 10k" You can say it, you’ll look a bit of a douche, but you can say it.

Awww, I was just teasing you guys.

Still, the not drinking enough argument is completely valid as I was on mineral water during the matches.

But I do stand by the fact that those u-18 games were more interesting than anything on the Euro so far. But it’s early days now, we might still see some beauties.

Schroppfy
beers 2362 º places 13 º 07:01 Sun 6/10/2012

Originally posted by SilkTork
4 good games? What, you guys came with low expectations? Most people I know who really follow football agree that only the Russia-Czech Republic match was really "interesting".

Congrats to the Danes, the Netherlands basically ate itself. Germany - Portugal as expected, with looong periods of boredom pierced by momentary attacks of interesting footie.

Heck, the under-18 match between Hajduk Split and Valencia that I saw live the day before yesterday was more interesting than the four of them combined. And yeah, Hajduk thrashed them, as they did with Dynamo Kiev (6-1) yesterday.

The opening game was full of interest - the Poles were really trying hard. They got into the spirit of the tournament big time, and any (cough, cough) "real" football fan would have appreciated their enthusiasm and effort, and would have shared the agony and drama of how the game unfolded. That by winning this game the hosts, who are by far the lowest ranked in their group, had a real chance of qualifying out of the group made the whole thing even more exciting.

I found the Russia game the least interesting so far. It was expected that Russia would win, and - yawn - they did so by banging in lots of goals so the game was never balanced. I suppose Russian fans would have liked to see such a thrashing, but for others the only pleasure was in watching some competent football. A worthy game, but "interesting"? No way. I know some painters and decorators who can wallpaper a wall with great skill - and there is some pleasure in watching that, but not for long....

Only saw bits and pieces of the games except for the first half of Pol-Greece, but I agree with SilkTork 100% here.

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 09:14 Sun 6/10/2012

Spain without a striker is a bit like a no alcohol beer. An interesting experiment but no one really wants it.