Euro 2012 - what are you drinking?

Reads 34491 • Replies 605 • Started Friday, June 8, 2012 9:18:40 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DJMonarch
beers 15202 º places 82 º 09:50 Mon 6/25/2012

Well my hopes of a Portugal v England final have now been completely dashed! Looks like I’m going to have to source some Sagres...
It would have been nice for the drinking options if all the leading beer nations were the ones who had progressed furthest in the tournament, maybe with the USA entering as a guest team as has happened with the Copa America in the past!

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 867 º 09:55 Mon 6/25/2012

USA sending their team? You really want to lower the quality of the event? :p

SilkTork
beers 7749 º places 111 º 10:25 Mon 6/25/2012

Originally posted by harrisoni

Don’t understand betting, never have, never been in a bookies. I get enough gambles in my life by travelling by public transport, I don’t need any more.

Insurance started out as a form of betting. At one time it was possible to insure anyone, and of any age. Legislation was brought in that you had to have an "insurance interest" in someone to take out insurance on them to prevent the scandals involved when juries in murder trials were taking out insurance on the life of the accused. Also, it became illegal to insure the life of a child when poor parents with large families were insuring their children, and then killing them off whenever they needed a bit of money.

DJMonarch
beers 15202 º places 82 º 20:42 Mon 6/25/2012

Originally posted by Marko

lol Jürgen isn’t doing such a bad job with the US team apart from that draw in the last WC qualifier. They’re 4 goals better than Scotland at least :p

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 23:13 Mon 6/25/2012

The Alan Davies Armchair Euros on Radio 5 Live is brilliant IMO.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01k2b5n/Armchair_Euros_23_06_2012/

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 867 º 04:43 Tue 6/26/2012

Originally posted by DJMonarch

lol Jürgen isn’t doing such a bad job with the US team apart from that draw in the last WC qualifier. They’re 4 goals better than Scotland at least :p

And Scotland is supposed to not be crap?

They did beat Italy though, and I was sorta joking. It would be interesting to see how they perform against European teams in a string of matches that count for something. Friendlies really don’t mean that much most of the time.

DJMonarch
beers 15202 º places 82 º 06:14 Tue 6/26/2012

They did beat Italy though, and I was sorta joking. It would be interesting to see how they perform against European teams in a string of matches that count for something. Friendlies really don’t mean that much most of the time.

Oh yes I got your humour as sarcasm and irony very often go hand in hand with your average football/soccer fan!
I agree on your point about making it a more global game and having more regular inter-continental match ups. Actually I think the USA and Mexico would benefit from a similar move that Australia did when it went from Oceania qualifying to Asian qualifying because cleary USA and Mexico have it way too easy in their World Cup qualifying groups and it isn’t testing and improving those teams as much as they could do. So maybe some more integration with the South America sides would help there...

DJMonarch
beers 15202 º places 82 º 06:17 Tue 6/26/2012

Originally posted by harrisoni
The Alan Davies Armchair Euros on Radio 5 Live is brilliant IMO.

Ian, I’m giving this a listen right now and find it rather amusing! Thanks for the link

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 07:43 Tue 6/26/2012

I noticed one interesting thing: the 4 teams qualified for the semifinals come from group B and C, while the teams from A and D didn’t reach the semifinals.

Somehow a confirmation that B and C were tougher than A and D.
I wonder how often it happened in the past (statistically it’s not so hard, 12.5% I believe).

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 867 º 08:04 Tue 6/26/2012

Originally posted by fiulijn
I noticed one interesting thing: the 4 teams qualified for the semifinals come from group B and C, while the teams from A and D didn’t reach the semifinals.

Somehow a confirmation that B and C were tougher than A and D.
I wonder how often it happened in the past (statistically it’s not so hard, 12.5% I believe).

That much was obvious before the tournament started. The top 5 teams of the tournament (Germany, Spain, Croatia, Portugal and Italy) were dumped in those two groups because of that moronic "rule" that the two hosts, clearly belonging to the lower tier of the tournament belong to the "strongest tier", effectively pushing stronger teams away from their real tiers and into lower ones - combined with some "chance", you end up with 2 brutally strong groups, one ok one, and the first one which was laughable. And it was obvious from the start that one or two teams that, in a truly balanced tournament, would have a good chance of reaching the semis, would end up kicked out after the group stage.

Netherlands, which most people would predict to have a good chance of ending up there proved everyone wrong by failing enormously as a team (it would appear that they exported every manager that knew shit about football), and Croatia was kicked out because of one or two retarded and/or corrupt referees. Oh well. The semis are what Platini had hoped for, let’s all rejoice because of that.