A-B buys Goose Island for $38 million

Reads 18763 • Replies 129 • Started Monday, March 28, 2011 6:35:12 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 06:58 Sat 4/2/2011

Selling only to Chicago and the northern suburbs, Half Acre added four fermentation vessels last year, with two more on the way, ramping up capacity to a projected 7,000 barrels this year.

"We’re getting close to topping out in this facility," Magliaro said. "We’ve really always brewed as much beer as we could, and that’s what we sell."

While acknowledging a potential glut of craft brewers, Magliaro said he wouldn’t be interested in selling out to the big boys, at least anytime soon. Some analysts think the Goose Island deal, one of five major craft brewery sales in the past year, might put Magliaro’s resolve to the test.

"I think this sale is definitely a sign of things to come, especially this year," said Jennifer Litz, editor of Craft Business Daily. "It kind of opens the floodgates."

That possibility has entered into the long-term business plan for Chicago’s Revolution Brewing, which opened as a Logan Square brewpub last year but will be in full production mode by January, operating out of a new, 35,000-square-foot plant.

"We’re following the Goose Island model of growth; I don’t mind saying that," said owner Josh Deth, 36, who worked as a Goose Island brewer in the late 1990s.

Copying the Goose Island model might also include a similar exit strategy, somewhere down the road.

"I want to retire someday too," Deth said.

Full article here

sthlm
beers 790 º places 147 º 19:57 Thu 4/14/2011

A Twin Cities television station has an article on their website about Playboy releasing their list of America’s top party schools. I found the photo they chose to accompany the article to be interesting.

Guerde
beers 1297 º places 9 º 20:06 Thu 4/14/2011

Originally posted by OSLO
A Twin Cities television station has an article on their website about Playboy releasing their list of America’s top party schools. I found the photo they chose to accompany the article to be interesting.

"Flavor-lock crown."

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 07:44 Fri 4/15/2011

Originally posted by OSLO

#9! Know that!

JMerritt
places 72 º 14:08 Fri 4/15/2011

Originally posted by nancypelosi
where do you get your info?? goose shit is already high & overpriced, besides they all taste like honkers to me

All 355 of their beers taste like Honkers?

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 07:28 Sat 4/16/2011

Originally posted by sethdude
You can bet InBev will raise prices. Can we exect $9-$10 sixers as we see with most of the swill (Heineken, Stella, Corona) they produce? At least that, more I’d guess.

where do you get your info?? goose shit is already high & overpriced, besides they all taste like honkers to me

Make it much to the brewpubs?

Yeah, I think Honkers Ale every time I had a Bourbon County Stout.

TheBeerSommelier
10:11 Sat 4/16/2011

Originally posted by BBB63
Originally posted by sethdude
You can bet InBev will raise prices. Can we exect $9-$10 sixers as we see with most of the swill (Heineken, Stella, Corona) they produce? At least that, more I’d guess.

Make it much to the brewpubs?

Yeah, I think Honkers Ale every time I had a Bourbon County Stout.

Maybe he meant "honkers" as in "boobies." In which case, I certainly agree - their beers sure are the tits.

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 14:05 Sat 4/16/2011

This statement doesnt make sense. If all their beer tastes like honkers then why did you say honkers instead of one of their other beers or better yet say they all taste the same.

Davinci
beers 295 º places 10 º 14:18 Sat 4/16/2011

This thread is so last month