A-B buys Goose Island for $38 million

Reads 18764 • Replies 129 • Started Monday, March 28, 2011 6:35:12 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beerchugger
beers 717 º places 23 º 08:53 Mon 3/28/2011

I have no faith and no hope in InBev/AB. It doesn’t take a Harvard degree to brew good beer with quality ingredients and yet, AB would rather take over a favorite brewery than fight losing sales by providing better beer.

I despise InBev/AB. I don’t want to support them, their marketing ploys, or their business models. The craft beer culture is about more than just the beer. It’s about the people and the livelihoods behind the beer. It’s something AB will never understand and therefore, everything they touch gets ruined. Redhook, Widmer, etc...name one good thing AB has done for craft beer other than developing crappy beers to push people into craft beer. This sucks. Sad day indeed.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 08:55 Mon 3/28/2011

Good move on A-B’s part, that price seems like a steal

beastiefan2k
beers 5033 º places 294 º 09:00 Mon 3/28/2011

Originally posted by beerchugger
I despise InBev/AB. I don’t want to support them, their marketing ploys, or their business models. The craft beer culture is about more than just the beer. It’s about the people and the livelihoods behind the beer. It’s something AB will never understand and therefore, everything they touch gets ruined.

agreed

ilovedarkbeer
beers 2753 º places 122 º 09:01 Mon 3/28/2011

I just saw this. NOOOOOoooOoOOoOooOoO!

StFun
beers 567 º places 11 º 09:11 Mon 3/28/2011

That’s cool, there’s always Pipeworks.

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4375 º places 76 º 09:17 Mon 3/28/2011

Originally posted by StFun

I hear DaVinci went behind 17th’s back and started shilling out shares to SAB.

Davinci
beers 295 º places 10 º 09:18 Mon 3/28/2011

Originally posted by CanIHave4Beers
Originally posted by StFun

I hear DaVinci went behind 17th’s back and started shilling out shares to SAB.

A man’s gotta eat

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 09:18 Mon 3/28/2011

I don’t know too much about what’s happened at Kona since AB bought them. But friends and family have visited, and say there’s no sign of any parent company anywhere on premise. Just a bigger deck, nicer furniture, more signage than in years past. The beers seem the same.

For my money, Widmer has gotten more interesting since their purchase--more seasonals and experimentals. They were just OK before, now they’re a little better.

Redhook has two shiny, state-of-the-art new breweries since their purchase. Beer seems the same. Biggest change? They have to use some of that mammoth capacity at the new place to help Widmer keep up with keg orders for their hef. Nothing else.

AB seems, at least from what you can see from the outside in these three cases, to know how to stay out of the way. If it’s any consolation.

Around here, they’ve actually done a fair bit now and then to sink marketing muscle (i.e., cash) into promoting homebrew events and other quiet parts of the craft beer scene. I note that without comment.

Christian
beers 17420 º places 278 º 09:21 Mon 3/28/2011

Do you drink Hoegaarden?
Franziskaner weissbier?
Spaten Oktoberfest?

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 09:22 Mon 3/28/2011

I have competing reports about whether Red Hook changed their recipes or not after the AB acquisition. Getting confirmation on how things changed there is relevant.

No matter what happens though, for me, it’s what happens in the glass that matters. I couldn’t call myself honest if the brand itself swayed me positively or negatively in my reviews.