A-B buys Goose Island for $38 million

Reads 18760 • Replies 129 • Started Monday, March 28, 2011 6:35:12 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JMerritt
places 72 º 08:24 Mon 3/28/2011

Updated at http://beernews.org/2011/03/anheuser-busch-to-buy-goose-island-for-38-8-million/#more-18165

(site is slow to load right now)

Kate Bernot, Contributing Editor at The Feast Chicago, says Deschutes Brewery’s Head Brewer, Brett Porter, will take over Greg Hall’s duties as Brewmaster.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 08:25 Mon 3/28/2011

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Its not a big deal anyway. Go out and support your new local brewers. I say find, promote, and support the next Goose Island.

Support them too much, and well...

beastiefan2k
beers 5033 º places 294 º 08:26 Mon 3/28/2011

Originally posted by Davinci
Like Adam and Puzzl have said, it would be beyond foolish for AB to come in and make changes to the production at this point. They have bought GI in an effort to gain some market in the craft sector and would be shooting themselves in the foot if they were trying to make a cheaper version of their products.

everything A-B gets there hands into eventually goes down in quality (as others have mentioned it just can’t be helped, batches will growing and to increase consistency nuances will be left behind). No reason to think it will be different for GI. Best you could hope for is those 2 brewpubs are left untouched.

theisti
beers 5292 º places 1153 º 08:31 Mon 3/28/2011

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
A-B took over Red Hook
A-B took over Widmer
A-B took over Dominion

who still really loves those brewers nowadays?

The A-B take over of GI has been talked about for years now. A-B has been distributing GI for a while as well, that was the first domino (as I remember the same was true for Red Hook and Widmer). A-B distributes Kona Brewing as well, I believe (the next most likely takeover).

Its not a big deal anyway. Go out and support your new local brewers. I say find, promote, and support the next Goose Island.

Perfectly stated.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 08:33 Mon 3/28/2011

Originally posted by FlssmrBrewAlum
Just like puzzl is saying, they’d be idiots to mess it up.

They are idiots, and they will mess it up.

I’m wondering how many of us, if any, around here have a moral dilemma with this? Goose Island now makes the best craft beer for InBev. How many are in it for the quality of beer (as long as it doesn’t suffer)? How many don’t want to buy InBev products?

OldStyleCubFan
beers 77 º places 15 º 08:33 Mon 3/28/2011

Only $38 millions? That seems insanely low. At that price A-B could buy them and just discontinue the beers.

I bet AB spends 2 or 3 times that annually in Chicagoland marketing alone. They could make that back simply be converting half the GI tap over to an AB beer after killing the beers.

beastiefan2k
beers 5033 º places 294 º 08:36 Mon 3/28/2011

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
How many don’t want to buy InBev products?

I don’t and wont. Will grab my last 4 pack of Sofie and wave goodbye to GI.

beastiefan2k
beers 5033 º places 294 º 08:44 Mon 3/28/2011

from 2006
http://www.soave.com/news/bev_goose-island.php

from 2011
http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2011/03/anheuser-busch-inbev-to-take-over-goose-island.html

Goose Island, whose legal name is Fulton Street Brewery LLC, is selling a 58 percent stake in the company to A-B for $22.5 million. The Craft Brewers Alliance, in which A-B holds a 32 percent stake, has agreed to sell its own Goose Island stake to A-B for $16.3 million. The Craft Brewers Alliance owns the remaining 42 percent of Goose Island.

ABInBev has time on their side. They work slow and eat up competitors. They aren’t brewers, they are business people, they don’t care about the beer, just selling it.

zdk
beers 1917 º places 96 º 08:44 Mon 3/28/2011

Will beer geeks start boycotting their products?

Even if they do, would it matter? Most people don’t even know that GI is already distributed by AB. People’s faces usually fall when I inform them of this, but they keep drinking. I wonder what ppl will say now

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 08:50 Mon 3/28/2011

Originally posted by zdk

Will beer geeks start boycotting their products?

Even if they do, would it matter? Most people don’t even know that GI is already distributed by AB. People’s faces usually fall when I inform them of this, but they keep drinking. I wonder what ppl will say now

Maybe this is a moment of clarity that some need.

I know I still reluctantly (and occassionaly) buy their products, and products from the distributors AB has colluded with for years (Southern Tier and Victory are two big ones down here).