A-B buys Goose Island for $38 million

Reads 18761 • Replies 129 • Started Monday, March 28, 2011 6:35:12 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 06:58 Mon 3/28/2011

I guess all that matters to is whether they keep Goose Island up to its high standards.

JMerritt
places 72 º 06:59 Mon 3/28/2011

According to a press release, a) John Hall will stay on as CEO, b) the two breweries will not be part of the deal and will remain open, and C) AB is going to put $1.3 million into the Fulton Street facility as early as this summer to help it expand.

I presume the two breweries are Wrigleyville and Clybourn? IMO, those are where the best stuff is made and sold. Hope their quality doesn’t suffer.

otakuden
beers 1783 º 07:02 Mon 3/28/2011

Originally posted by JMerritt
According to a press release, a) John Hall will stay on as CEO, b) the two breweries will not be part of the deal and will remain open, and C) AB is going to put $1.3 million into the Fulton Street facility as early as this summer to help it expand.

I presume the two breweries are Wrigleyville and Clybourn? IMO, those are where the best stuff is made and sold. Hope their quality doesn’t suffer.

thanks for the update. and regarding Wrigleyville & Clybourn, absolutely where the best stuff is made and sold. despite these news i am looking forward to visiting the Clybourn Goose in November while in Chicago for a week.

on the flipside, i think this is one of the more shocking news tidbits i have received within the craft beer world as of late

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 07:04 Mon 3/28/2011

well, guess we’ll see. Hope it doesn’t go the way of Unibroe...Nothing wrong with what I find from them, Unibroe, just don’t see many one off’s. Of course maybe that’s the difference of being in Massachusetts and North Carolina....just gives someone else an oppertunity...

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 07:05 Mon 3/28/2011

The barrel program is at fulton (bcs), and most of the experimenting happens there.

Savvy1982
beers 1706 º places 70 º 07:15 Mon 3/28/2011

I foresee this going very badly.

I don’t think that A-B will be able to be "hands off" enough to keep themselves from utterly ruining the brewery.

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 07:17 Mon 3/28/2011

Originally posted by Savvy1982
I foresee this going very badly.

I don’t think that A-B will be able to be "hands off" enough to keep themselves from utterly ruining the brewery.

Either GI will have essentially unlimited funds to do whatever if it wants to grow its product, or AB will slash it into one of their fake "Craft Beer" products. There’s really no middle ground. Hope for the former.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:17 Mon 3/28/2011

Originally posted by drewbeerme

The barrel program is at fulton (bcs), and most of the experimenting happens there.

This. In the last couple of years they’ve really started to develop quite the barrel/sour program and if that stays untouched, should continue to become one of the best in the country...

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4375 º places 76 º 07:21 Mon 3/28/2011

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by drewbeerme

This. In the last couple of years they’ve really started to develop quite the barrel/sour program and if that stays untouched, should continue to become one of the best in the country...

fingers firmly crossed.

madvike
beers 3357 º places 3 º 07:25 Mon 3/28/2011

I’d feel a lot better if this was an April 1st post.