Berliner Weiss with fruit- not a fruit beer?

Reads 17482 • Replies 262 • Started Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:39:42 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Why are some of these newer, fruited Berliner Weiss’ not considered "fruit beers?"

Does it have something to do with the amount of fruit,etc.?

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 09:48 Sun 5/20/2012

Is the fruit the prominent characteristic of the beer? If it is still recognizable as a Berliner Weiss, it should stay in that style.

Is that the measure used by Ratebeer; that the fruit must be the prominent character? That seems like a rather subjective measure.

"Bloody Show" is an example of a beer that I would say doesn’t have much fruit character, but is classified as a fruit beer (as opposed to a German Pilsner).

tommann
beers 7123 º places 33 º 10:01 Sun 5/20/2012

Berliner Weiss is a rare style and people want the style tick?

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 10:34 Sun 5/20/2012

Originally posted by Ryan82SM
Is that the measure used by Ratebeer; that the fruit must be the prominent character? That seems like a rather subjective measure.

"Bloody Show" is an example of a beer that I would say doesn’t have much fruit character, but is classified as a fruit beer (as opposed to a German Pilsner).

I believe it is, or something very close to it. Virtually everything here is subjective, this has never been a problem with fruit beers.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 12:29 Sun 5/20/2012

Originally posted by JK
Is the fruit the prominent characteristic of the beer? If it is still recognizable as a Berliner Weiss, it should stay in that style.

If you’re calling a beer a dragon fruit Berliner Weisse, it should be a fruit beer. A Berliner Weisse is a very distinct style to which fruit syrups have been added historically to taste. There isn’t evidence in the record of Berliner Weissen brewed with fruit.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 13:02 Sun 5/20/2012

Seems a bit ridiculous to me for a beer called ______ Berliner Weisse to not be in the Berliner Weisse category.

tommann
beers 7123 º places 33 º 13:23 Sun 5/20/2012

By that reasoning we shouldn’t have fruit beer as a style as all fruit beers are other styles, with fruit in them.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 13:25 Sun 5/20/2012

Originally posted by GT2
Seems a bit ridiculous to me for a beer called ______ Berliner Weisse to not be in the Berliner Weisse category.

This is indeed a fine line. There are hundreds or probably thousands of beers out there like pumpkin porters, raspberry wheat, and so on and so forth into oblivion that you would have labeled as "porter" and "wheat beer"?

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 13:34 Sun 5/20/2012

Originally posted by drowland
Originally posted by GT2

This is indeed a fine line. There are hundreds or probably thousands of beers out there like pumpkin porters, raspberry wheat, and so on and so forth into oblivion that you would have labeled as "porter" and "wheat beer"?

BCS Bramble then should be moved to Fruit Beer

I wonder if there is an FAQ on this? When I entered Bloody Show, Papsoe changed it to a fruit beer. Would every admin do the same?