Dogfish Head wants user reviews deleted from RB

Reads 15141 • Replies 140 • Started Monday, June 5, 2017 4:17:45 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

biggsbowler
beers 635 º places 22 º 16:17 Mon 6/5/2017

I have issues with breweries trying to delete user generated reviews. Sam based his reasoning of ethical reporting but how can demanding reviews be deleted as ethical? Also when did I become a professional journalist? I just like rating beers once in a while. Maybe you could call me a professional alcoholic but I’m far from a journalist. It’s almost like he has no clue what people soon this site.

A message from Sam on current RateBeer changes

Monday, June 05, 2017
Dogfish Head has been part of the RateBeer.com network for quite some time. In fact, we’re fans of almost all websites, magazines, newsletters and blogs that help educate the public and inspire the consumption of great beer; publications that are passionate about sharing the love for our vibrant craft brewing renaissance that is now gaining traction around the globe. For many years, RateBeer, along with entities like BeerAdvocate, All About Beer, Draft, Celebrator, Ale Street, Brewing News and many more have championed this burgeoning and blossoming craft beer community in ways that are consistent with journalistic integrity.

We were troubled by the announcement last week that ZX Ventures, which is fully owned by the global conglomerate Anheuser-Busch InBev, has purchased a portion of RateBeer. We believe this is a direct violation of the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Code of Ethics and a blatant conflict of interest. The SPJ’s Code of Ethics includes a section called “Act Independently” and includes the following guidelines:

- Avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived. Disclose unavoidable conflicts.
- Refuse gifts, favors, fees, free travel and special treatment, and avoid political and other outside activities that may compromise integrity or impartiality, or may damage credibility.
- Be wary of sources offering information for favors or money; do not pay for access to news. Identify content provided by outside sources, whether paid or not.
- Deny favored treatment to advertisers, donors or any other special interests, and resist internal and external pressure to influence coverage.
- Distinguish news from advertising and shun hybrids that blur the lines between the two. Prominently label sponsored content.
It is our strong opinion that ABI’s ownership of RateBeer, and other properties positioned to cover the craft brewing community like October and thebeernecessities.com is in direct conflict with multiple guidelines listed above.

In the past, as executive editor of Pallet, a print magazine project that celebrated global craft beer culture, neither I nor Dogfish Head held any stake in the publication. As a company, Dogfish Head continually shows support for various craft beer publications through paid advertising campaigns.

To that end, we have respectfully asked Anheuser-Busch InBev and RateBeer to remove all Dogfish Head beer reviews and mentions on the RateBeer website immediately. It just doesn’t seem right for a brewer of any

cheap
beers 8945 º places 329 º 16:21 Mon 6/5/2017

WTF?

User287050
beers 20 º places 2 º 16:23 Mon 6/5/2017

damn right

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 16:24 Mon 6/5/2017

Good luck with that Juan.

ClarkVV
beers 13834 º places 112 º 16:25 Mon 6/5/2017

Yawn. DFH couldn’t sell out fast enough. Still one of my biggest disappointments to this day, in craft beer.

Bitterbill
beers 3245 º places 25 º 16:25 Mon 6/5/2017

Goof.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 16:25 Mon 6/5/2017

Seems the commentary was clipped short.

Despite the new partial ownership, as ratings are created by individuals, I question his legal standing in the matter.

As I stated in another thread.

He is a pompous tosser.

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 16:30 Mon 6/5/2017

Short answer: No.
Slightly Longer answer: If ratebeer were to start doing this for every brewery upset about this minority share sale, it would be way more devastating to the site than the actual sale.

biggsbowler
beers 635 º places 22 º 16:32 Mon 6/5/2017

This is from their website. The link was posted to Facebook.

FatPhil
beers 26655 º places 1003 º 16:36 Mon 6/5/2017

Ug.

Has anyone ever been given a free or discounted beer by Dogfish Head?

If so, they’ve shot themselves in the foot rather, as using the definition they cite, they would have compromised that person’s reviews. Orrrrr.... ratebeer reviews are not, and have never been "journalism".

(Aside - I get cheap and free shit from breweries fairly frequently, I’d be amazed if the above has never happened. I’m no more likely to give a free beer a high review than I am an expensive beer a high review - you might even see a "thanks!" to them in my review, I won’t try to hide the fact.)