Highly Rated Beers that You thought were Horrible

Reads 13464 • Replies 188 • Started Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:06:28 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

fletche00
10:52 Fri 11/16/2012

Originally posted by FooFaa
Originally posted by fletche00
Same can be said for Dark Lord, I have had my fair share, I think it is a pretty good beer, but honestly, the only BIG hype about it, is the fact that you cannot get it easily.

There’s a very good reason Dark Lord became so popular in the first place, and it has nothing to do with rarity. Nevertheless, IMO, Dark Lord has not been world-class in four-five years. So, I think what you’re saying might be more true now than it was at one time. I agree that it is still a very good beer. Dark Lord Day is also worth going to. This past year was a blast, and it seems they’ve ironed out the wrinkles.

Only really been in the Beer Game for a few years, that was just my opinion about it. I do agree that Dark Lord Day is worth checking out atleast once in your life. I plan on going every year (if possible), and not really for the Dark Lord, it is a pretty good time there. With that being said, Dark Lord is also worth trying no matter what.

maryswineshop
11:07 Fri 11/16/2012

Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout...had to dump it down the drain and couldn’t get the smell out for a week!

jlruthven
beers 612 º places 13 º 11:11 Fri 11/16/2012

Regarding all the Creme Brulee votes, I think it’s fine, but no way in hell would I want to handle even half a bottle on my own. I shared it with three other friends, and it was good, if a curiosity.

mmmbeer
beers 1693 º places 66 º 12:09 Fri 11/16/2012

Off the top of my head:

Bells Bourbon Barrel Aged Cherry Stout

New Belgium Lips of Faith - Le Terroir

Jester King/Mikkeller Weasel Rodeo

The last 4 St. Arnold Divine Reserve releases

FL_homer
beers 1 º places 1 º 12:16 Fri 11/16/2012

Any Dark Lord after 2008.

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 12:54 Fri 11/16/2012

Originally posted by craftycarl21
Originally posted by BBB63
a few in that brief moment of time that seemed not to be all they were suppose to be: Fonteinen Hommage

... Hommage? Really? How did you not enjoy that beer?

"Seems to be neither funky enough nor earthy enough, perhaps need more age." I rated it a 3.4, so not horrible just not worthy of the hype.

77ships
beers 14200 º places 918 º 13:49 Fri 11/16/2012

Originally posted by GT2
Originally posted by 77ships
HotD Michael - absolutely vile but that was because it was infected but I paid good money for it & I could have gotten Matt instead so I was . Eylenbosch is not that good either, Kriek is just an old sweetener beer, doable but not very good, Framboos is drinkable, that is the most optimistic thing I can say about it & it is in the top 25 fruit lambic on this website. I appear to have gotten a lesser bottle but I can never imagine that beer being trully good - same for the Kriek.

Michael was not infected- supposed to be sour. But yes, it was very rough. Not so enjoyable.

I knew that Michael is supposed to be sour that is why I wanted to have it but that kind of taste is not a sour taste … I drink plenty of sours but those taste I have found only in infected beers.
If only it was just harsh….

P.S. Hommage is awesome.

MilkmanDan
beers 1942 º places 20 º 14:04 Fri 11/16/2012

Originally posted by jlruthven
Regarding all the Creme Brulee votes, I think it’s fine, but no way in hell would I want to handle even half a bottle on my own. I shared it with three other friends, and it was good, if a curiosity.

I had to look up the ratings for it; I can’t believe that stuff is highly rated. Godawfully sweet, cloying, nasty stuff. It being bottled in bombers always seemed like a cruel joke on the world to me.

FooFaa
beers 1 º places 29 º 14:06 Fri 11/16/2012

Originally posted by MilkmanDan
It being bottled in bombers always seemed like a cruel joke on the world to me.

This is a pretty good way to put. I can only drink about 4 fl oz of the stuff before I find myself slipping into a diabetic coma. It’s a good beer, just too sweet to drink anything more than just a tiny bit.

kdm1984
beers 1096 º places 14 º 18:50 Fri 11/16/2012

Originally posted by fletche00
Originally posted by Quasimodo
What do people not like about Two hearted?

Hop profile is weak for an IPA. Too much of a Malty/Yeasty body for an IPA also.

Wow, really? It is not as hoppy as, say, Stone, but Twohearted is by no means a malty IPA, IMO. If anything, it lacks a malt backbone, relying too much on Fruity Pebbles and citrus. I promote Founders Centennial for its malt backbone and its aroma relative to fruity citrus Twohearted. I like ipas with both big hops and great malt.