Is RB dead?

Reads 18704 • Replies 225 • Started Sunday, March 26, 2017 10:58:12 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 04:45 Wed 4/12/2017

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
Originally posted by MacBoost
You know a ratebeer thread is ZEZTY when an untappd admin starts ranting on it

They have admins on Untappd?

Yes to verify the homebrew

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 04:50 Wed 4/12/2017

Untappd admins do exist. Here is the proof.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:30 Wed 4/12/2017

Originally posted by tdtm82
Originally posted by chriso
My local has it. You need to change the mileage perimeter to cover more venues.

Yes, I see that your local has it (but nowhere else in Chelmsford). That’s not really any use to me. I repeat - there are only 13 venues in the whole of London that have it and most are places that I rarely visit. There are a grand total of 37 venues within the 75 mile limit that have it. You can’t seriously present the digital menu system as a really useful feature - in the UK at least - when the take-up is so piss poor.

They’ve only just released it. It’s an American app with little representation in the uk. The take-up don’t know it yet. It’s still very very new and bars are slowly aware of it. It takes a lot of time and dedicated to roll something out like this.

Hop Burns & Black posted that they had become an Untappd verified venue on 1 July 2016. So not exactly very new. Even if they were the very first that means just 12 more venues in London have signed up in the 21 months since. To say the take-up rate is slow would be something of an understatement.

Bullit
beers 6227 º 06:32 Wed 4/12/2017

However, I think the Untappd badges are a bit devalued by being too unchallenging to get. They come with such ease and regularity that they often don’t seem like much of an achievement. Getting a badge for every fifth beer of every style I drink seems rather excessive.

I disagree. Sometimes you have to be in two areas at once to get a badge for festivals. That’s a challenge. You also have to check in locations on FourSquare. Again if FourSquare isn’t right then you miss out. Also it has to be simple to keep the general user keen.

I have 1660 check-ins on Untappd and 628 badges. Not exactly challenging.

There are venues you have to check in to get a badge. Styles. Different places. We are dedicated beer hunters. The average consumer is not. It’s a badge-orientated app but there are hard badges which are limited and one-off’s where you can’t get a beer as you’re not in a distribution network or you have to fly to get it. That’s challenging.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 06:56 Wed 4/12/2017

However, I think the Untappd badges are a bit devalued by being too unchallenging to get. They come with such ease and regularity that they often don’t seem like much of an achievement. Getting a badge for every fifth beer of every style I drink seems rather excessive.

I disagree. Sometimes you have to be in two areas at once to get a badge for festivals. That’s a challenge. You also have to check in locations on FourSquare. Again if FourSquare isn’t right then you miss out. Also it has to be simple to keep the general user keen.

I have 1660 check-ins on Untappd and 628 badges. Not exactly challenging.

There are venues you have to check in to get a badge. Styles. Different places. We are dedicated beer hunters. The average consumer is not. It’s a badge-orientated app but there are hard badges which are limited and one-off’s where you can’t get a beer as you’re not in a distribution network or you have to fly to get it. That’s challenging.

So basically it’s the same when -for instance- you check on RB who have rated Pliny the Younger.

alovelydrop
beers 70 º places 97 º 08:12 Wed 4/12/2017

As I’m having a slow afternoon I thought I’d pitch in to the Untappd v RB debate as someone that doesn’t use this site for ticking or rating.

I do use Untappd and I like it for the following reasons:
- most of my beer-loving friends use it, so I can chat with them about the beer that they are drinking very easily
- it’s easy to use. So easy to use, it’s on my phone so I have it with me all of the time. Beers and venues are easy to find. I don’t need to write any notes if I don’t want to, I don’t even have to rate a beer if I don’t want to
- it’s one way of seeing what beers places are serving (even if they aren’t verified). I can search recent check-ins to know what a pub has recently had on

I largely use RB for
- the forums, it’s good for beer news and chat
- the Places section, which is still my go-to site whenever I’m visiting somewhere new

Sure, there may be issues with the Untappd database but I’d wager 98% of its users don’t care. They just want a quick, intuitive way of logging beers and interacting with their friends.

I think that RB is a superb resource, but I do think it requires an additional level of geekery that a lot of beer punters aren’t that interested in.

jjsint
beers 7737 º places 1335 º 10:57 Wed 4/12/2017

I occasionally use Untappd occasionally as well, mainly because I have already existing friends on it (as opposed to friends I’ve met on RB). My beer friends aren’t interested in RB due to the commitment involved (as alovelydrop has suggested). Untappd is nice when I’ve already rated a beer but don’t want to change my rating, but still want to rate.

I also like RB as a ’safe space’... I wouldn’t want my girlfriend, ex-wife or work colleagues on here because I don’t want them to know how much I drink! So Untappd is a good ’beard’ for my drunkenness (but look, I only had 4 beers last month)...

To answer the original question ’Is RB dead?’ I would say that there are always going to be those of us who will not be satisfied with the level of engagement offered by Untappd (I’ve only ventured onto BA once so I can’t comment on this). I imagine that the time may come when I no longer have the time to rate every beer/place and then my pattern of engagement will change. But there will, somewhere, be a new RBian to take my place.

Desverger
beers 29281 º places 383 º 11:52 Wed 4/12/2017

My local has it. You need to change the mileage perimeter to cover more venues. Additionally this app has no UK sales office and it’s all Americans giving a hard sale.

It was a very slow start over here in Copenhagen, but the verified venue pickup does appear to be growing quickly. From having only 1 or 2 venues the other month, checking the app within 1.5 miles showing 8 verified venues now including the likes of...

Himmeriget
Mikkeller Viktoriagade
Fermentoren
Rbabarrab (Kihoskh new bar)
Bootleggers

All showing full tap and bottle/can menus.

So it is gaining traction over here at least.

But in regards to the main question (not read the whole 17 pages of this thread) going by the amount of replies here - RB is certainly not dead :D

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 12:29 Wed 4/12/2017

Clearly the lack of response to this thread proves that RB is dead.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 12:38 Wed 4/12/2017

Originally posted by fly
Clearly the lack of intelligent response to this thread proves that RB is brain dead.

FIFY