Is RB dead?

Reads 18647 • Replies 225 • Started Sunday, March 26, 2017 10:58:12 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 22:56 Mon 3/27/2017

Originally posted by joet
We are still growing and in double digits year to year in page views. Most of our growth is outside the US. We hope the new apps help. Look for them for everyone in late Summer

Sweet!

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 23:02 Mon 3/27/2017

Pretty much, yeah.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 23:02 Mon 3/27/2017

I forgot to mention that although most of the guys I drink with are realy into craft beer and are big-time traders. They use ratebeer as their guide regarding which beers are just hyped-up and not worth trading for and vice versa, but they don’t rate or participate in the forums here... but they’re here. I would imagine there are a lot of folks like that.

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 23:53 Mon 3/27/2017

bytemesis
beers 15319 º places 1595 º 23:56 Mon 3/27/2017

The day I leave RateBeer is the day I die or give up beer (which are likely the same thing).

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 00:43 Tue 3/28/2017

Originally posted by bytemesis
The day I leave RateBeer is the day I die or give up beer (which are likely the same thing).

I agree. Even though I have cut back on my drinking and rating quite a bit, my time on ratebeer hasn’t gone down at all. Ratebeer transcends beer ticking and to be honest if I gave up drinking today (its payday today, so unlikely) I would still log on to Ratebeer and post crap.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 01:38 Tue 3/28/2017

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Originally posted by bytemesis

I agree. Even though I have cut back on my drinking and rating quite a bit, my time on ratebeer hasn’t gone down at all. Ratebeer transcends beer ticking and to be honest if I gave up drinking today (its payday today, so unlikely) I would still log on to Ratebeer and post crap.

This

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 04:04 Tue 3/28/2017

It would be a real shame if ratebeer (and, to a lesser extent, beeradvocate) died and were overtaken by Untappd. The best way to train your palate is to force yourself to write-down coherent assessments of the beers you’re drinking. There’s really no substitute for it. The more people move towards ticking and taking pictures, rather than actually reviewing, the less developed their palates will be. I don’t rate anymore myself, but I learned a huge amount from the time I spent rating on here.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:16 Tue 3/28/2017

Originally posted by hopscotch
RB is still the only site that I use to find out what’s new and actually worth trading for. BA and Untappd are both unreliable when it comes to that.

Somewhat paradoxically, I think Untappd is beginning to suffer from having too much data. Or, at least, too much data without any sophisticated ways of marshalling and searching it. For instance, if I want to find where a beer has been available recently nearby, it’s not possible to get a user-friendly list of venues where it has been available, and when. You just have to scroll through hundreds of "check-ins" until one catches your eye. It only loads a certain number of check-ins at a time and you keep having to hit a "load more" button. Once you’ve done that a few times things start slowing down. And you have to be familiar with the venues because, otherwise, there’s no way of knowing where they are without clicking through to them. Using Untappd to see what has been available at a particular venue suffers from the same issues if it’s a popular place. etc etc.

Untappd seems to be so focused on social beer ticking that any other, potentially useful, functionality is not well developed. It may be that you get enhanced functionality with the paid-for offering but I don’t know - Untappd is quite pricy at $50 a year. Also Untappd doesn’t have any community focus other than your immediate circle of friends.

It seems to me that, if Joe can get things right, there’s scope for RateBeer to capitalise on these shortcomings. RateBeer has much more functionality (admittedly often a bit clunky and not always fully developed) but, unfortunately, suffers from a shortage of data in many areas.

solidfunk
beers 20023 º places 1037 º 08:02 Tue 3/28/2017

Originally posted by imdownthepub
I believe that this site offers so much more than untapped, which I see as a basic ticking site. We should be emphasising those differences, particularly with the travel aspect and places, I believe that more Countries should be split into regions, more development of styles and sub styles, more ratebeer events. We seem to have been pretty static in these areas for a while and I believe that this has cost us footfall on the site.

This. I’ve done everything, even offered to put in as much work as possible to get a country split up. If we can capture more interest from emerging beer countries like Poland or others then that would help...