Ratebeer sells to AB InBev

Reads 67165 • Replies 579 • Started Friday, June 2, 2017 4:43:19 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 20:15 Fri 6/9/2017

Well just got off a 7 day cruise and finally had wifi to read this thread.

I’m going to stay here and continue admin responsibilities for Alaska. I’ve made many great friends through RB, some that seem to be leaving, and hope to make more. JoeT has my full support as I’ve seen the dire need for upgrades. Alaska is being dominated by Untappd and it’s a shame.

The only worry I have is with being able to reach out like I have in the past to the breweries in Alaska. I understand if they stop supplying me the info, but it will be a damn shame to lose those relationships I’ve made. I guess I will find out in a few days when I am back home.

Skyview
admin
beers 6263 º 17:22 Sun 6/11/2017

One of the best "neutral" editorial articles I’ve read all week long:

LINK

Ibrew2or3
beers 10534 º places 353 º 21:12 Sun 6/11/2017

Originally posted by Skyview

LINK

Yes. Good read. Thanks for posting it.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 02:44 Mon 6/12/2017

Originally posted by Ibrew2or3
Originally posted by Skyview

LINK

Yes. Good read. Thanks for posting it.

Indeed

cheap
beers 8851 º places 328 º 06:32 Mon 6/12/2017

"ZX Ventures are the venture capitalist arm of AB InBev – if the latter is Alan Rickman’s Sheriff of Nottingham, ZX are Guy of Gisborne and half a dozen Norman flunkies with crossbows."

Also:
"AB InBev are not only aware of the negative reviews of their products but their subsidiary ZX Ventures have asked the RateBeer ownership to continue to allow for negative reviews of AB InBev’s beers to be added to the RateBeer database and for them to be verified by the site Admins."

This article clears up a lot of negative misconceptions I’ve read in the thread.

biermanny
beers 1 º 15:34 Mon 6/12/2017

Read this Linkedin article on a better explanation/hypothesis on why ABInBev invested in RateBeer as part of a the overall strategic direction of selling direct to consumer.

Originally posted by sthlm
Originally posted by ClarkVV
Originally posted by northropfrye
Originally posted by ClarkVV
Originally posted by northropfrye
I get that they’re probably not going to try to "AB InBev-ize" ratebeer or mess with the ratings. I don’t think anyone’s worried about that. But it does make you wonder what AB InBev gains from this? What is their motivation? We know what their motivation is in buying craft breweries - they want to kill craft beer and take back market share, etc. So, if their motivation in buying craft breweries is to kill craft beer, what would be their motivation be in this investment?
This aids them in their mission because it pisses off a lot of users. That’s their goal. Get the principled craft beer fans angry, so they’ll stop rating or realize their fight against big beer is futile.
I get that if you’ve got a few thousands ratings on ratebeer, you’re probably not going anywhere, as you’ve got too much time invested in it already.
But how is ratebeer going to attract new users now that this news is public? The next time you go to a pub, are you going to admit to people you’re a RateBeer user? The first thing they’ll say is "It’s owned by InBev." So people are going to stop telling others to join. And if RateBeer does attract new users, it’s going to be sort of people who don’t care about the war against big beer...and, in that way, the ratings will get skewed. Eventually it becomes like UnTappd...just a social network with lots of people who are not really into beer and don’t really know anything about it.
Or this could just be paranoia talking....

Dude. AB InBev did not buy a share. No, Im not splitting hairs. People are missing this very large point. Yes it is still Big Business but they are independently run companies with widely different business models and aims. You should inform yourself about ZX Ventures before posting.

I get the moral objections to a company funded by them but ZX Ventures is not here to do any of what you posted, including pissing off users....

Well, they had to have known it would piss off users. How could they not know that? From ZX’s own website: "ZX Ventures is a global incubator, operator, and venture capital team backed by Anheuser-Busch InBev." They’re not hiding the ABInBev connection. You can say they have different aims than AB InBev, but then you have to ask why is AB InBev backing them if their aims are different? Follow the money, right?

This is a better question than your first one by a mile.
I hate to enter in to speculation but I would guess ABI are backing them for a purely monetary aim. Just further diversifying their portfolio.
I believe ZX Ventures would not do something that would piss off ABI and I’m sure on major financial decisions, ZX has to take in to account what ABI’s position and interest would be.
However, this is not a major financial decision for ZX. This is literally peanut shells to ZX and ABI. I think this is an organic endeavor (well, as organic an endeavor as you’ll get from a firm the size of ZX) by ZX that has nothing to with ABI.

ZX is not just backed by AB InBev, they are an extension of the company. ZX describe themselves as, "AB InBev’s disruptive growth organization." Note the ’s that follows AB InBev.

https://growlermag.com/big-beer-buys-northern-brewer/

cheap
beers 8851 º places 328 º 15:44 Mon 6/12/2017

Originally posted by cheap
"ZX Ventures are the venture capitalist arm of AB InBev – if the latter is Alan Rickman’s Sheriff of Nottingham, ZX are Guy of Gisborne and half a dozen Norman flunkies with crossbows."

Also:
"AB InBev are not only aware of the negative reviews of their products but their subsidiary ZX Ventures have asked the RateBeer ownership to continue to allow for negative reviews of AB InBev’s beers to be added to the RateBeer database and for them to be verified by the site Admins."

This article clears up a lot of negative misconceptions I’ve read in the thread.

Sorry, neither norman nor flunkies would be PC today.

harrisoni
beers 25357 º places 68 º 15:59 Mon 6/12/2017

OK, so is everyone done here? Can we just close this off? Everyone’s had their opinion expressed? Let’s get on with rating some beers huh? It is what we do after all.

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 16:09 Mon 6/12/2017

I don’t see why we’d close this off. Everyone can continue rating as they wish, and this thread will gradually fade as everyone has voiced what they want and the shock wears off.

Jow
beers 7344 º places 487 º 16:14 Mon 6/12/2017

seems a shame to not get it to an even 50 pages