Ratebeer sells to AB InBev

Reads 67451 • Replies 579 • Started Friday, June 2, 2017 4:43:19 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 06:00 Mon 6/5/2017

Originally posted by Sarlacc83

The people on BA are either mortified or laughing at us. (And the Alstroms are taking the high ground about not selling out.)

The Allströms weren’t asked to "sell out" because their database sucks ass and isn’t worth anything

radagast83
beers 12460 º places 427 º 09:52 Mon 6/5/2017

Originally posted by MacBoost
Originally posted by Sarlacc83

The people on BA are either mortified or laughing at us. (And the Alstroms are taking the high ground about not selling out.)

The Allströms weren’t asked to "sell out" because their database sucks ass and isn’t worth anything
+1

They would have banned virtually everyone in this thread and every similar thread to it, including their reviews. No one in their right minds should think moving to BA is a viable alternative unless the Allstroms have finally stopped their banning of people with differing opinions in forum posts, beer reviews, opinions of brewers, tweets, etc.

The Allstroms have no high ground to speak from.

Leighton
beers 33739 º places 1204 º 10:01 Mon 6/5/2017

Originally posted by obguthr
Originally posted by MarcoDL
What about this: http://wearebrewstuds.com/craft-beer-cut-off/
Ratebeer is now on it.

The deal with AbInbev might not influence the official independence and quality of ratebeer, but it is bad for Ratebeer’s image and the perceived independence.

Interesting that the site that broke the news about RBInBev is also listed. Is this some sort of damned vast crap beer conspiracy?

I think there’s something of a feud between wearebrewstuds and GBH. GBH has worked with Goose Island, and I gather the GBH founder Kiser actually now works more directly for AB InBev through the publication October.

Some people, including the folks at WAB IIRC, like to highlight this potential conflict of interest. Kiser would say that GBH has separate businesses (consultancy versus editorial) and that no conflicts exist. This explanation satisfies some, but not all.

cheap
beers 8865 º places 328 º 10:42 Mon 6/5/2017

One nice thing about this thread is seeing the RB liberals at each others throat for a change. I find a little humor behind it since they all used to gang up against me in OTM. SCHADENFREUDE!

jjsint
beers 7751 º places 1335 º 10:44 Mon 6/5/2017

Doesn’t sit at all well with me at all but what do I know?

I don’t necessarily expect anything to change, but nothing would surprise me. Perhaps a tiny reminder to many of us to treat this as more as a hobby and less as an obsession.

cheap
beers 8865 º places 328 º 10:53 Mon 6/5/2017

Originally posted by jjsint

I don’t necessarily expect anything to change, but nothing would surprise me. Perhaps a tiny reminder to many of us to treat this as more as a hobby and less as an obsession.

I think ’hobby’ is the key word here, and on this site.

stevoj
beers 16146 º places 1244 º 10:55 Mon 6/5/2017

Originally posted by jjsint
Doesn’t sit at all well with me at all but what do I know?

Well said, It’s always been a hobby for me, withe community behind it being the best I’ve encountered so far. As for any claims of labor (admins aside), this is no different for entering data into Google, Amazon, Yelp, etc. All data is a commodity these days. We’ve just chosen to be passionate about our little hobby.

I started on BA back in 2011, and abandoned it after being turned on to RB by Bierkrug. I was living in Germany at the time, and their English only policy made it useless to almost anyone outside of the US. So besides being USA centric, it is even more New England centric on top of that.

I have no intention of leaving RB, and support Joe T all the way.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 11:10 Mon 6/5/2017

I also LOL at people who think the admins are butthurt by this. I am an admin. I move some threads around, delete spam, etc. but its not like I spent 40 hours per week on here doing work for joe. Most of my time on here is while I’m at my actual job which pays me actual money.

User57106
beers 246 º places 35 º 15:54 Mon 6/5/2017

Interestingly, I haven’t found a way to change or delete my ratings OR delete my profile. They own my content now, I guess.

Hope you guys all choke on them,Ratebeer bastards who made a deal with the devil.

ClarkVV
beers 13457 º places 111 º 15:56 Mon 6/5/2017

Originally posted by Charlzm
Interestingly, I haven’t found a way to change or delete my ratings OR delete my profile. They own my content now, I guess.

Hope you guys all choke on them,Ratebeer bastards who made a deal with the devil.

Great post, man. Thanks for your contribution.