Westvletern 12 - My 40 page journey to monastery in Belgium to finally try the Westvleteren 12

Reads 5056 • Replies 64 • Started Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:47:21 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 18:47 Tue 8/15/2017

So, I had some time on my hands, and went to Belgium on a pilgrim journey for this legendary beer. I did alot of research to find this beer outside the monastery gates. I actually found some places, where you can find this beer at the black market in Brussels. I also interviewed the monastery about this beer and debunked a few myths. The blog just kept growing so I had to put this on some platform and it ended up here:
https://beersensations.blogspot.se/

Nerd alert on the blog, since Im an enthusiast I have written stuff that I would like to read about myself :) Please feel free to comment on stuff I can do better blog wise since this is my very first serious attempt of a beer blog :)

Cheers!

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 19:06 Tue 8/15/2017

Can’t wait to read more.

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 19:47 Tue 8/15/2017

Hey Strykzone, on this story I dont have too much more to offer, except for tips from others where to find the beer in Brussels or other places that are proven to have this beer for sale. Perhaps you meant more stories overall or more on the this subject? Thanks for feedback :)

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 20:32 Tue 8/15/2017

I clicked on the "Classic" tab and the entire blog opened. I loved reading it! Thanks for sharing that. The trip of a lifetime! Thanks so much for sharing it!!!

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 21:16 Tue 8/15/2017

Good read. I saw a few grammar errors. Have you had aged Westvleten? it is the only way I have had it. I am not sure it improves, but it is definitely delicious with a year or two.

CH-303
beers 4551 º places 137 º 00:26 Wed 8/16/2017

You should rate the beers here on Ratebeer.

hawthorne00
beers 8472 º places 63 º 10:46 Wed 8/16/2017

Good read, Henrik. Yeah, pop your rating here. Interestingly, the idea that few people will get to have this one is false: it’s the 31st most rated beer on the site - it’s been rated by 3360 people, more than Leffe Blonde or Stella Artois. The monks may not wish to sully themselves with commerce, but the beer finds its way and resources are merrily dissipated along in turn.

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 10:53 Wed 8/16/2017

Originally posted by Strykzone
I clicked on the "Classic" tab and the entire blog opened. I loved reading it! Thanks for sharing that. The trip of a lifetime! Thanks so much for sharing it!!!

Im glad you liked it :) It was really special going to the monastery after reading about this beer for years and not being able to get a hold of it. I can really recommend a trip to Brussels and the monastery, there are several places you can buy the beer and if you want a 4 year old version there is always Le Cercueil you can reach out to. Phone number and google links are there for anyone looking for the holy grail :) There are alot of great places around Grand Place in Brussels.
I hope I get to experience the same anticipation and the same great tasting experience at another place and another time.

Thanks for your feedback

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 11:16 Wed 8/16/2017

Originally posted by JK
Good read. I saw a few grammar errors. Have you had aged Westvleten? it is the only way I have had it. I am not sure it improves, but it is definitely delicious with a year or two.

Thanks, well my school english might need a polish ^^. Ill look around for some grammar check software, maybe just Word will solve it.
I tried a 4-year-old Westvleteren at the death metal bar Le Cercueil linked in the blog. I found it abit more complex than the "fresh" ones that I have had, By fresh i mean beers thats are 5 months old and some around 10 months old. But to be completely honest I cannot give any objective thoughts about that since I had had a few beers already when trying it and had no "fresh" beer to compare with side by side. As I said in the blog tho, I thought it was a great beer, even if it cost me 25 Euro :P

When I talked to a brother working in the monastery about the aging process, he described the difference in taste with age, that the beer develops towards port as in port wine.
He also said that the fermentation process is completed about 1 month after sealing, if stored correctly.

I would love to get my hands on some older beers for a side by side comparison, atm I have some that are 10 months old at the most. But Im working on it as we speak :)

Thanks for your input

BeerSensations
beers 1 º 11:17 Wed 8/16/2017

Originally posted by CH-303
You should rate the beers here on Ratebeer.

Hi CH-303,
As soon as I have time I will :)

stevoj
beers 16126 º places 1243 º 11:19 Wed 8/16/2017

Before I knew about the abbey’s policy, I had a bottle of the 12 at Aux Brasseurs just off of Grand Place. Since I’ve been to the abbey twice, once passing through on the way to the ferry in Calais, the second time to go pick up my allotment of two cases of Westy 8. The food at In der Vrede is good, especially when you can run through their course of beers with your meal. What they have in the gift shop is hit or miss though, it depends on what they have just produced. it was worth the journey (twice), and I’d go back in a heartbeat.