2014 College Football Thread

Reads 63721 • Replies 979 • Started Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:01:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 13:24 Mon 1/19/2015

Alabama’s last 4 classes.. all @ 26.

Almost 20 extra kids in the program at a given time.. cut when they aren’t performing or are injured..

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 14:36 Tue 1/20/2015

Auburn pulls a recruit from Texas, who promptly posts a giant stack of money picture to Instagram... hmmmm...

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 17:36 Tue 1/20/2015

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Auburn pulls a recruit from Texas, who promptly posts a giant stack of money picture to Instagram... hmmmm...

That’s how the burn rolls git. Top 5 class, here we come.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 17:45 Tue 1/20/2015

Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
Originally posted by hopscotch
I understand that.

I’m talking specifically about the over signing clause.

Frankly, if you are recruiting and offering kids you don’t think will work.. you are the problem.

Really excited to see Big 12 and SEC curb their over signing bullshit

I didn’t realize the Big 12 had a problem with it. I’ve always heard people complaining about the SEC - and for good reason. I noticed Alabama, Florida, Auburn and LSU signing 30-32 kids each February... and precious few were Spring enrollees that counted against the previous year’s recruiting class. I know WVU doesn’t oversign. We undersigned every year from 2008-2011. Bill (RIP) Stewart’s staff was full of great recruiters, except they signed a bunch of 4-star kids who ended up not qualifying for a myriad of reasons. Some qualified, but simply didn’t like to practice or study or both and were chased off. It was a bad scene.

Everyone has the same recruiting rules, this is nonsense. AU has signed 24, 23, 21 and 24 kids the past four years. If u don’t sign the full allotment u can roll that amount fwd. to next year w early enrollees.

That’s more than 85, bro.

I’ll give you that you lost kids to that armed robbery band of Bros you gave Schollies to thougg.

It’s a big problem in the SEC, Eric. But it certainly shows up in the Big 12 too.

Nobody has more than 85. Nick is just the queen of grey shirting and processing kids. To be fair, most of their grey shirted kids amounted to nothing over the past few years.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 18:02 Tue 1/20/2015

Originally posted by hopscotch
I understand that.

I’m talking specifically about the over signing clause.

Frankly, if you are recruiting and offering kids you don’t think will work.. you are the problem.

Really excited to see Big 12 and SEC curb their over signing bullshit

I didn’t realize the Big 12 had a problem with it. I’ve always heard people complaining about the SEC - and for good reason. I noticed Alabama, Florida, Auburn and LSU signing 30-32 kids each February... and precious few were Spring enrollees that counted against the previous year’s recruiting class. I know WVU doesn’t oversign. We undersigned every year from 2008-2011. Bill (RIP) Stewart’s staff was full of great recruiters, except they signed a bunch of 4-star kids who ended up not qualifying for a myriad of reasons. Some qualified, but simply didn’t like to practice or study or both and were chased off. It was a bad scene.

Everyone has the same recruiting rules, this is nonsense. AU has signed 24, 23, 21 and 24 kids the past four years. If u don’t sign the full allotment u can roll that amount fwd. to next year w early enrollees.

That’s more than 85, bro.

I’ll give you that you lost kids to that armed robbery band of Bros you gave Schollies to thougg.

It’s a big problem in the SEC, Eric. But it certainly shows up in the Big 12 too.

Nobody has more than 85. Nick is just the queen of grey shirting and processing kids. To be fair, most of their grey shirted kids amounted to nothing over the past few years.

Dude.. you don’t get it.

Other conferences don’t do that.

Now you can’t either because you can’t cut underperformers by oversigning.

The processing of over 100 kids and essentially trying them out (then cutting the ones that don’t make the cut) is over.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 20:06 Tue 1/20/2015

Alum... U don’t get it. Auburn has offered full 4 yr scholarships for several years and has been one of the few schools to honor it. We don’t over sign and we don’t punt kids out of the program. Lumping us in as signing 30 a year like Eric claimed is just silly. If we pay u to come to auburn, u can stay for 4 and get your education.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 13:30 Sun 1/25/2015

Alum never gets it.

In other news, looks like UCF is getting the break they needed this weekend with 3 nice WR commits, including 4* Tristan Payton from USC (west), and pulling Khahlil Lewis from Hopscotchland.
We need to hold on to these kids for another couple weeks, but looks like we might end up with a young and talented WR and DB corps next season.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 00:52 Mon 1/26/2015

"... 30 a year like Eric claimed is just silly. If we pay u to come to auburn, u can stay for 4 and get your education.

Hey now. Eric didn’t "claim" anything. That’s the word on the street. Has been for a long time. Auburn’s past continues to haunt. You know Auburn’s rep regarding recruiting practices, deserved or not. Right?

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 01:25 Mon 1/26/2015

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Alum never gets it.

In other news, looks like UCF is getting the break they needed this weekend with 3 nice WR commits, including 4* Tristan Payton from USC (west), and pulling Khahlil Lewis from Hopscotchland.
We need to hold on to these kids for another couple weeks, but looks like we might end up with a young and talented WR and DB corps next season.

Kahlil Lewis? Not a done deal... yet.

Rob Dowdy was a nice pickup for us yesterday.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 07:02 Mon 1/26/2015

Yea...Kahlil Lewis isn’t a done deal yet. According to the other recruits at UCF this weekend, he committed. Our Rivals guy can’t get ahold of him to confirm, though. This would be pretty big, because his high school coach was hired as a coach at WV last year.

Anything can happen in recruiting, but we have an incredible opportunity for WRs (and DBs) this year. Combine that with some of the WR talent O’Leary has sent to the NFL (B. Marshall, Mike Sims-Walker, Kamar Aiken, and likely a couple draft picks this year) and we should be able to pull some of this talent.

We had a great recruiting weekend and everything is pointing up for next week as well. We are closing strong, and now have the best G5 recruiting class (avg stars) besides Boise... but we have more 3* than Boise and both have 1 4*... damnit, recruiting rankings are dumb.

Anyway, we’ve managed to pull out of the recruiting cellar in one week, to the top of the G5.