2014 College Football Thread

Reads 63717 • Replies 979 • Started Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:01:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 16:32 Tue 1/27/2015

Most jealous person I’ve ever met, that JJ.

He certainly tells a good many laughers

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 03:34 Wed 1/28/2015

Traditionally, I have posted this weekly update within the football thread after the bowl games are finished. I realize some folks don’t care at all about college basketball and that’s cool. If you don’t care you can scroll past or I can create an entirely different thread as this is off-topic for the college football thread. Please share your thoughts. Thanks.
******************** ****************** ****************** ****************** ****************** **
Here are the NCAA Div. 1 men’s college basketball RPI rankings for teams of interest as of Tuesday, January 28th, 2015.

More-so than the AP and Coaches polls, the RPI is the best gauge of where your team stands regarding an invitation to the NCAA Tournament and its subsequent seeding.

Of note: Obviously, if your team wins its conference tournament at the end of the season, it receives an automatic invitation to the NCAA Tournament regardless of its RPI ranking or its ranking in the AP and Coaches polls.

RPI ranking (strength of schedule ranking):

#19 WVU (60)
#33 Stanford (62)
#37 Miami (45)
#48 Alabama (42)
#53 Iowa (31)
#70 Syracuse (77)
#85 Florida (22)
#116 South Carolina (57)
#138 Florida State (84)
#145 Auburn (87)
#163 Missouri (9)
#204 Mississippi State (139)
#213 UCF (137)
#221 South Florida (91)

Dog of the Week:
#351 Florida A&M (346) / Record: 0-20
(I thought adding the worst team in NCAA Division 1 would be kind of fun.)
How can a team play the 346th toughest schedule (5th easiest) and be 0-20?
#350 Central Arkansas (Scottie Pippen’s alma mater) is giving them a run for their money at 0-18.

*If you peruse this thread, but don’t participate on a regular basis, and would like to see your team listed here each week, simply post your request or shoot me a beermail.

**I’ll update this list weekly as time allows**

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 03:47 Wed 1/28/2015

I know there are about eleven games to go for most teams (and then their conference tournaments), but what the heck is going on this year? Some traditionally great teams are sucking balls so far. Still time to turn things around though.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:14 Wed 1/28/2015

Iowa has been a really weird team.. and now their star has an arm stinger or separated shoulder.. who knows.

Shoulda had that game @ Purdue tho. O well.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:15 Wed 1/28/2015

PS - That’s one list that makes JJ look like an idiot (UCF > Iowa Athletics in every way.. cool story, bro)

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 09:27 Wed 1/28/2015

Originally posted by TheAlum
Iowa has been a really weird team.. and now their star has an arm stinger or separated shoulder.. who knows.

Shoulda had that game @ Purdue tho. O well.

Right now, Iowa is definitely in. I think they were ranked #25 in the AP last week. There are 36 at-large bids to give, and it’s likely that several teams ranked higher than Iowa (in the RPI and both polls) will win automatic bids. Absolutely in. But, like they say, there’s a lot of basketball left to play. That’s good for the teams currently on the outside. Bad news for about five of us.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 09:44 Wed 1/28/2015

Originally posted by hopscotch
I know there are about eleven games to go for most teams (and then their conference tournaments), but what the heck is going on this year? Some traditionally great teams are sucking balls so far. Still time to turn things around though.

I haven’t watched things as closely this year, but it seems that there aren’t as many dominant teams as there often are...or teams that we sort of think of as dominant aren’t playing that way.

Virginia maybe one of the two best teams in the country...wat is going on?

Pleased with how Stanford has been playing so far. A close game against Arizona the other night was good, but some disappointing losses (like to UCLA who is garbage this year). Possibly tough game @ Washington tonight.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 10:17 Wed 1/28/2015

There is nothing better than watching Steve Alford lose.

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 22:10 Wed 1/28/2015

Syracuse is down this year due to so many underclass men leaving for the NBA last two years. Throw in that Coleman is out another season and we lost another freshman big man McCollough to season ending injury. Once Christmas gets in foul trouble it becomes lopsided fast. We did beat Iowa, but "bad" loses to California, St Johns, Clemson and Miami have us well on our way to the NIT.

I think with Jim bringing in what he says to be his best recruiting class ever there is one last NCAA run left in him as he seeks out win #1000 and second championship. After that we will move to Mike Hopkins a great recruiter and coach in waiting, most likely not skip a beat.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 13:06 Thu 1/29/2015

WVU got a nice commit at WR yesterday when Shaquery Wilson flipped from Georgia.

Hey Jj. Doesn’t look like Kahlil Lewis has made up his mind yet between UCF and WVU. I like the kid and he has a lot of offers from a lot of big programs. Rivals ranks him lower than Shaq Wilson and Shaq has a few offers from a couple more elite programs, so I’m glad he flipped... if I had to choose one of the two. I’d rather have both.

Looks like current St. Louis Ram, Stedman Bailey (also a Miramar H.S. and WVU alum stopped by to visit him yesterday or the day before, sporting his Orange Bowl ring. You guys have one of those too though. O’Leary needs to call somebody from UCF in the NFL and have him stop by to give a good word.

*Edited to lose the giant "WVU Lays an Egg" image and replace with the Wilson and Bailey pic. Was posting right when when site was taken down early Thursday morning and something got screwed up.