Hitler on a label

Reads 20715 • Replies 144 • Started Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:10:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheBeerSommelier
11:59 Fri 6/26/2009

Originally posted by durhambeer
Some interesting things to note about conversations such as this:

1) Sometimes folks seem to be upset at the notion that others are offended (despite the fact that being offended is subjective and a right as much as free speech is)

2) Sometimes folks seem to make the assumption that just because people are offended, they seem to be calling for censorship (Some posters on this thread defend free speech as if someone has called for the labels to be banned, but as far as I can tell no one has said that yet).

Why can’t free speech and the right to be offended live comfortably together? The brewery has the right to make the label. People have the right to be offended about it. End of story, no?

+1.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Offended? Yes. Willing to censor? Absolutely not. As Aaron said, given sufficient quantity disgusted potential consumers, the label will effectively censor itself.

Soonah
beers 1120 º places 2 º 12:16 Fri 6/26/2009

Originally posted by TheBeerSommelier
Some interesting things to note about conversations such as this:

1) Sometimes folks seem to be upset at the notion that others are offended (despite the fact that being offended is subjective and a right as much as free speech is)

2) Sometimes folks seem to make the assumption that just because people are offended, they seem to be calling for censorship (Some posters on this thread defend free speech as if someone has called for the labels to be banned, but as far as I can tell no one has said that yet).

Why can’t free speech and the right to be offended live comfortably together? The brewery has the right to make the label. People have the right to be offended about it. End of story, no?

+1.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Offended? Yes. Willing to censor? Absolutely not. As Aaron said, given sufficient quantity disgusted potential consumers, the label will effectively censor itself.

I’ll point out that I don’t think it should be censored, I’m merely making the argument that profiteering off of Hitler’s likeness is in fact offensive to many people. There are those who merely shrug their shoulders and say, "So what?" to the use of Der Fuhrer’s visage. They’re probably the ones who sat in the back and slept during history class.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 12:19 Fri 6/26/2009

Originally posted by pivnizub
I had never expected, that this damned Hitler is still so important for intelligent and tolerant people, that they discuss endlessly about his cartoon on a beer bottle!

So what you are saying is controversial topics and controversial subjects should not be discussed?

This is exactly the type of thing that should be discussed and brought into the open.

If the view is this is freedom of speech, surely others must realize this notion will be openly challenged, just like any controversial freedom of speech issue.

Tim

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 12:33 Fri 6/26/2009

Because there are so many unqualified statements on forums like the internet, it’s good to try to balance them by speaking from the other side. If 25 people all say how wrong they think something is, it’s perfectly legitimate to point out on what grounds that something has the right to be so wrong. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve misread the statements, or intentions, of the 25 critics.

Marko
admin
beers 18083 º places 882 º 12:44 Fri 6/26/2009

Originally posted by shrubber85
So why would you call a beer Tia Loca (crazy aunt??) and then use Hitler on the label? I can’t fathom a connection.

Well, crazy’s a given, aunt, can’t 100% sure but for example here that can be used as a somewhat derogatory yet relatively neutral term for someone who’s gay or acting feminised.

MuertosPorter
beers 24 º places 1 º 12:55 Fri 6/26/2009

I would like to hear the opinion of Christian Skovdal Andersen.

Christian:
What message are you trying to convey by using the image?
Why would you chose the image to represent your product?
Do you see any repercussions in the use of the image?

shrubber85
admin
beers 15125 º places 448 º 13:36 Fri 6/26/2009

Originally posted by Doggythedog
So why would you call a beer Tia Loca (crazy aunt??) and then use Hitler on the label? I can’t fathom a connection.

Well, crazy’s a given, aunt, can’t 100% sure but for example here that can be used as a somewhat derogatory yet relatively neutral term for someone who’s gay or acting feminised.

Seems reasonable but I wonder why in Spanish? Why not Verrückte Tante? My wild guess would be that it’s a derogatory name the Spanish Republicans (or Nationalists for that matter) called Hitler but that still wouldn’t explain the connection to a Belgian-German wheat beer. One more question to ask Christian.

Papsoe
beers 25039 º places 4 º 13:54 Fri 6/26/2009

Originally posted by Doggythedog

Seems reasonable but I wonder why in Spanish? Why not Verrückte Tante? My wild guess would be that it’s a derogatory name the Spanish Republicans (or Nationalists for that matter) called Hitler but that still wouldn’t explain the connection to a Belgian-German wheat beer. One more question to ask Christian.

Here’s the explanation to the name:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=da&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbeerticker.dk%2Fny-oel-beer-here-tia-loca-3117%2F&sl=da&tl=en&history_state0=

More:

http://www.beerhere.dk/beers.aspx

Papsoe
beers 25039 º places 4 º 14:00 Fri 6/26/2009

Christian always had a thing about Hitler.
Remember his old avatar?:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=-3&id=690374629#/photo.php?pid=343955&id=690374629

Anyways, I somehow believe that he’s quite amused by all the controversy.

He has logged in today, so I’m sure he’ll finally call in here.

JorisPPattyn
admin
beers 14405 º places 93 º 14:16 Fri 6/26/2009

Originally posted by Papsoe
Christian always had a thing about Hitler.
Remember his old avatar?:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=-3&id=690374629#/photo.php?pid=343955&id=690374629

Anyways, I somehow believe that he’s quite amused by all the controversy.

He has logged in today, so I’m sure he’ll finally call in here.

One of the links (to beerhere.dk) doesn’t seem to work.

But one little aspect seems to be overlooked, so far. I’m interested to see how amused the inheritors of Hergé are going to be...