Hitler on a label

Reads 20746 • Replies 144 • Started Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:10:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 10:18 Thu 6/25/2009

This is just a lame attempt at viral marketing on the part of the brewery and given that this is on a blog and now here, and will probably spread to other beery sites, they will probably be laughing all the way to the bank.

Soonah
beers 1120 º places 2 º 10:19 Thu 6/25/2009

Almost looks like an homage to Hitler’s Beer Hall Putsch. This label shows a younger looking AH walking in front of a beer hall.

And as Cletus pointed, out this is just a silly marketing attempt by people with no appreciation or respect for history.

JAXSON
beers 612 º places 4 º 10:21 Thu 6/25/2009

According to that blog, the brewery previously had a label banned which depicted Jesus.

My theory: the whole thing is a joke as a response to the prior label getting banned, like they are just going so far beyond what’s acceptable now to kind of test the waters. The brewery is probably annoyed with the gov’t agency that approves/denies beer labels, and just want to rub it in their faces.

I dunno, but that’s one way of looking at it that is not as blantantly egregious.

grassrootsvt
10:34 Thu 6/25/2009

Wow. I can’t believe people are so inflamed over a label with a picture of Hitler. So what! It’s a picture! Rather, a caricature... I’m sure that both Hitler and Christian (image, mentioning both in the same sentence...) would be impressed to see that the label garnered enough attention to warrant a post on Ratebeer =) If one wishes to make this an argument based upon "tasteless" labels or censorship, so be it. What about a label depicting Stalin, or Mao, - Pol Pot, Tojo, Mussolini, etc...? Same reaction? Probably not. Image... imagine if brewers started using beer labels to convey a political or social message...

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 10:36 Thu 6/25/2009

I’m not "inflamed" at all. I see this as nothing more than a clever way to market their product.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 10:56 Thu 6/25/2009

Poor taste and appealing to the lowest common denominator. Extreme marketing is one way to get famous, but why does Brew Dog and others do it was so much more sophistication and class? These guys are idiots. I suppose if playing Play Station all day and watching Friday the 13th and Charlie’s Angles is your definition of a good time, these guys are marketing geniuses.

tim

Christian
beers 17412 º places 278 º 11:03 Thu 6/25/2009

Originally posted by JAXSON
According to that blog, the brewery previously had a label banned which depicted Jesus.

My theory: the whole thing is a joke as a response to the prior label getting banned, like they are just going so far beyond what’s acceptable now to kind of test the waters. The brewery is probably annoyed with the gov’t agency that approves/denies beer labels, and just want to rub it in their faces.

I dunno, but that’s one way of looking at it that is not as blantantly egregious.

The Jesus label wasn’t banned. But the Easter Beer was sold to a supermarket chain and they didn’t want to carry that version of the label.

And "that guy" who is an idiot brewed Ølfabrikken Porter. So I guess to some degree he has proved his worth to the RB community when it comes to beer. Hugely ironic labels may work better in Denmark than abroad, but I’m sure Christian will be less provoking on labels intended for export.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 11:14 Thu 6/25/2009

Originally posted by TimE
Poor taste and appealing to the lowest common denominator. Extreme marketing is one way to get famous, but why does Brew Dog and others do it was so much more sophistication and class? These guys are idiots. I suppose if playing Play Station all day and watching Friday the 13th and Charlie’s Angles is your definition of a good time, these guys are marketing geniuses.

tim

What makes this type of advertising so effective is that it gets a negative reaction from people who feel compelled to tell everyone else how disgusted they are, thereby spreading word about their product. For every 2-3 people who are bothered by this label, there are probably 20-30 more who hear about the negative publicity who are curious enough about it to buy it.

Ambassador
beers 14 º 11:14 Thu 6/25/2009

Disgusting is rather harsh. This obviously is not an hommage to Hitler. Or Tintin for that matter.

For using Hitler as a caricature, please turn your attention to the disgusting works of Charlie Chaplin, Mel Brooks and John Cleese.

Obviously these artists have realised that poking fun at dangerous ideas and policies will devaluate them.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 11:26 Thu 6/25/2009

Originally posted by lithy
Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Originally posted by ChristianScheffel
It’s just a cartoon character in classic Belgian style that’s waving happily at us. If you want to interpret it as something else, that’s up to you.

you are being sarcastic, correct? There is no way that character does not make you think of one infamous person?

And I have no problem with free speech, I am not trying to censor anyone, especially in Denmark. But with free speech comes responsibility.

So then rather than saying it is in poor taste, maybe say it appears to be a poor business decision?

It *is* in bad taste, more than it is a bad business decision. Anything that in any way could be considered celebrating one of the most horrible humans in the history of the planet is bad taste. Similar if you are using his character as a marketing tool.