Hitler on a label

Reads 20729 • Replies 144 • Started Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:10:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

pivnizub
beers 12929 º places 633 º 02:59 Sat 6/27/2009

Originally posted by TimE
Originally posted by pivnizub
I had never expected, that this damned Hitler is still so important for intelligent and tolerant people, that they discuss endlessly about his cartoon on a beer bottle!

So what you are saying is controversial topics and controversial subjects should not be discussed?

This is exactly the type of thing that should be discussed and brought into the open.

If the view is this is freedom of speech, surely others must realize this notion will be openly challenged, just like any controversial freedom of speech issue.

Tim

Nothing against the freedom of speech, nothing against discussions, we’re not in China or in the Iranic Republic........ But, don’t forget, it is just a stupid beer-bottle!

Marko
admin
beers 18120 º places 883 º 06:23 Sat 6/27/2009

Originally posted by NosirIwont
hmm, speaking of war mongering germans, what about the nutter on this beer?! - and that’s not even a charicature, but actually seems to celebrate him in some way.

Pretty much the same thing as a beer depicting George V, if such a thing exists.

Papsoe
beers 25039 º places 4 º 06:30 Sat 6/27/2009

Originally posted by Doggythedog
hmm, speaking of war mongering germans, what about the nutter on this beer?! - and that’s not even a charicature, but actually seems to celebrate him in some way.

Pretty much the same thing as a beer depicting George V, if such a thing exists.

This it?
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/butt-monkey-chimp-chiller-ale/62661/

NosirIwont
beers 3755 º places 15 º 06:40 Sat 6/27/2009

Originally posted by Papsoe

This it?

no, that would be another George

BeerVirgin72
beers 880 º places 97 º 08:10 Sat 6/27/2009

Originally posted by JK
Its a cartoon Hitler. Just laugh about it. We should be able to laugh about these things, 70 years later. Hitler makes for good comedy.

Yeah...But some people simply cant do that...Its great that you can...But some people whose whole families/lives were changed by the guy might not be able to laugh about it quite yet...

In the course of history, its still a very recent event, you know??

Its all a matter of perspective, of course...And as another poster commented on earlier, you have the option to NOT be offended....But dont critisize someones right TO BE offended...

beeranarchist
beers 232 º places 1 º 08:36 Sat 6/27/2009

Originally posted by Soonah
Originally posted by Pinball
below is my opinion. You are entitled to have your own too.

I found the label fun, entertaining. provocative, artsy..

Next thing we won’t be able to print monks on beers because christians historically have slaugthered left and right in the name of god..

calm down.. enjoy that we have free speech, and are free people. sometimes the best way to reflect on real bad stuff is to have some humor and satire in the mix.

Anyone want to boycot a brewery because they have provocative labels - go ahead, it’s your right to do so. we should all respect that.

My personal opinion is that ppl are too fucking uptight and rigtheous. Americans in particular. Strong religeous people a close second.

I’d rate a sadam hussein beer any day, except if $1 per sold beer was donated to al-quaida.

Btw. beer here dark hops rocks, and i recommend it highly. it’s not world class, but definetly above most of the european competition. i am quite certian it is distributed or going to be distributed to the states, as the label had some usa looking mumblejumble on it. i could be wrong, i was not sober when i had it, memory can sort of crash in those circumstances.

cheers!

Let’s say your mother (or sister or whatever family member makes this argument more effective for me) was kidnapped, beaten, raped and murdered, her naked body dumped on the side of the road. Then let’s say that someone named Bill Smith was arrested and tried and convicted of those crimes. The next year a company makes something, let’s say it was potato chips. This company decides to call them Bill Smith Potato Chips. With a picture of the person who did this to your family featured on the bag. What the company is doing isn’t illegal, but I would bet you a shiny nickel, that unless you are a hopeless sociopath, that you would take umbrage with this company’s decision.

I’ll qualify the above post by saying that although I am an American I am both a Libertarian and an Atheist and I have enough common sense to understand that free speech is a wonderful thing; a wonderful thing that comes with responsibility.

Or call him George W Bush

beeranarchist
beers 232 º places 1 º 08:46 Sat 6/27/2009

Is it not obvious that it is not a tribute to Hitler, but the opposite? We (probably) all (including beer here) have the same view of Hitler...

Marko
admin
beers 18120 º places 883 º 08:59 Sat 6/27/2009

Originally posted by Papsoe

This it?

no, that would be another George

V and W aren’t the same thing :p

Belgo
beers 154 º places 11 º 09:51 Mon 6/29/2009

Funny, the great California wine producer Laurel Glen used to make a very nice blend of red grapes bottled under the name Reds. There were 3 different motives on the corks used to close the bottles; a portrait of either Mao Zedong, Lenin or Stalin.
There was no great fuss at the time, but it is the same thing going on here.

And by the way, the guy with the moustache in the Tia Loca label waves his left hand. The nazi salute was done with the right hand..... You see what you want to see.

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4375 º places 76 º 11:32 Mon 6/29/2009

It’s been said over and over, but I’ll say it again. I want to know what the intent of this image is! After twelve pages no one has been able to speculate on what the content of the label is intended to mean. Which I have been pondering, and I seem to come up with only the rudimentary idea that tintin represents Belgium and Hitler represents Germany. If there is a deeper satire I would love to have it explained to me, but the image doesn’t seem to lend it’s self to any criticism, nor glorification of Hitler. Which brings me to another reason that no one has voiced as to why this is offensive, and it’s been a big one for me since day one. Tintin symbolizes Belgium, seems pretty fair he is something that cats can recognize as distinctly and identifiably Belgian. On the other side of the coin we have Hitler being the part of this image that is distinctly and identifiably German, which of course he is. But to those who are German, have German blood, or just love the country of Germany, using Hitler as a main identifiable icon for German culture is crude and repugnant. No, we should not forget what happened in Germany under the Third Reich, and no we should not stop political satire of Hitler. But if this label is a form of satire, then it is a failed one because after all this internet rigor moral, not a one person has been able to explain why this is satirical.