New RateBeer app: feedback

Reads 12930 • Replies 163 • Started Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:30:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 04:14 Sun 7/23/2017

I like the overall design,

as per the functionalities, at least the ones present so far:
APP
- I hate when an app decides for me what to do; today I couldn’t edit beers because it kept switching to the app (thanks to who now explained the workaround); don’t enforce this, let user choose if using the app or browser;
- if you enforce the language based on phone settings, that’s also a mistake; I used to have a "danish" phone and I couldn’t use any App that enforced Danish without my "consent";
- html tags are not supported; half of my ratings use simple tags (bold, italic, new line), and many other raters use too;
- the huge stock picture;
- was it already mentioned that if you miss one word in the middle, the search doesn’t work?
- any list returned by Search should be more compact; if I walk into a brewery today and I need to know what I already had, I type the brewery name and the result isn’t going to help me at all; hide my rating text (make it appear on a click if you want to be fancy) and sort by name, with the option to sort by date or ABV;
- if 2 breweries have the same name (for example, Hearthstone), the search result is obviously a mess; no way to tell which beer belongs to which brewery;
- one of the 2 App pages says "User Profile" but as far as I can see there’s only the list of beers, nothing else about my profile;
- on the search page, in the top let corner there’s the icon of a person; it should be my avatar instead;

RATINGS
- the cute score slider works only if you didn’t start entering text; after you start adding text, I dare you controlling that thing...
- after rating from the app, in the rerate page of the website I can’t see the score;
- i can’t delete my rating from the App;
- my App score doesn’t update the beer average score; I need to use "fix score" (only admins can do that), or somebody must rate from the site; if we are trying to shift the mass of ratings to the App, this is a huge gap;
- after editing a site rating using the App, back to the site the beer page shows the new score I gave in the App, but if I re-rate it shows the old attribute scores and old site score; this is very messy;
- yes, I would prefer to have the 5 attributes score available, for power users;

INFO
- style percentile is useless; in the real world, people mention it only when it’s 100, which means nobody cares for the other 99% beers; and shops use it to print shelftags; most beers I came across don’t have the score because they have low ratecount; I would much prefer to see the unweighted average;
- of all beer details that I get from the site, IBU is really missing; the brewery/ABV/style "bar" can slide sideways; can you add unweighted average and IBU? it won’t bother the casual user because they won’t see it;

Lubiere
beers 22804 º places 1170 º 12:18 Sun 7/23/2017

My turn:

Don’t like the App...Eric’s version was far superior of the use I have for it:

Sliding Bar: why imitate Untappd? the approach used on the browser version and on Eric’s was easy to use...also when I give a note, its based on the 10-5-10-5-20 scale on the website...I ended up noting my ratings at the end of my description, making a quick calculation...takes actually more time than with the browser version..also, does not appear in stats...BTW, before, you could only rate using the 10-5-10-5-20 scale? What % of RB raters did not like that? I would probably not give too much weight to users that do not rate (users vs raters) and/or who are not Premies.

Off line rating: When will this be implemented? I often rate beers that are not in the system yet, or at sites with no internet connection, or where I do not want to use my data (roaming, etc...)...Someone suggested using the notebook function on the phone...but again, takes more time than Eric’s old app...I loved that function which you cant do with the browser version. You must note in notebook, or quickly add the beer in the browser version, with no description, missing info, etc...

Place: thanks for confirming its in the plans! I do like rating live the place I visit, and not from memory. Also like checking in and seeing ratings for places nearby. Untappd is something to emulate as you can check in a beer at a place...and makes finding good bars close to you easy (Untappd remains my go to app for this).

Barcode: Limited use for me...useless in festivals or bars/breweries...good at a store, but again, if you have a decent search function, no biggie..

Huge generic picture of a beer...waste of data! At least, link to the image on the website to get the label (like on the old App).

Overall, why was it not possible to start from Eric’s version of the app and improve from there...this is looking like a Untappd wannabe...

Lubiere
beers 22804 º places 1170 º 12:23 Sun 7/23/2017

Oh, I had to remove the App ! Rated a few beers with the app, and when I went to the browser version on my phone to add my actual attribute scores, it would be redirected to the app....useless!

Christos
beers 6111 º places 110 º 14:18 Sun 7/23/2017

Do the scores from the app count to a beer’s score? I went to rate Rodenbach Alexander and the first two reviews are from people with no ratings, it appears they have Ticks on their profile but when I click on it, nothing shows.

Inbreak
beers 9950 º 14:41 Sun 7/23/2017

Originally posted by Lubiere
My turn:

Don’t like the App...Eric’s version was far superior of the use I have for it:

Sliding Bar: why imitate Untappd? the approach used on the browser version and on Eric’s was easy to use...also when I give a note, its based on the 10-5-10-5-20 scale on the website...I ended up noting my ratings at the end of my description, making a quick calculation...takes actually more time than with the browser version..also, does not appear in stats...BTW, before, you could only rate using the 10-5-10-5-20 scale? What % of RB raters did not like that? I would probably not give too much weight to users that do not rate (users vs raters) and/or who are not Premies.

Off line rating: When will this be implemented? I often rate beers that are not in the system yet, or at sites with no internet connection, or where I do not want to use my data (roaming, etc...)...Someone suggested using the notebook function on the phone...but again, takes more time than Eric’s old app...I loved that function which you cant do with the browser version. You must note in notebook, or quickly add the beer in the browser version, with no description, missing info, etc...

Place: thanks for confirming its in the plans! I do like rating live the place I visit, and not from memory. Also like checking in and seeing ratings for places nearby. Untappd is something to emulate as you can check in a beer at a place...and makes finding good bars close to you easy (Untappd remains my go to app for this).

Barcode: Limited use for me...useless in festivals or bars/breweries...good at a store, but again, if you have a decent search function, no biggie..

Huge generic picture of a beer...waste of data! At least, link to the image on the website to get the label (like on the old App).

Overall, why was it not possible to start from Eric’s version of the app and improve from there...this is looking like a Untappd wannabe...

Because they’ve proven they don’t give a shit about the most active users, and they obviously want to BE unCrappd. I don’t give a damn about the new app, won’t even try it, and will continue using Eric’s app

szymonskc
beers 1647 º places 21 º 14:43 Sun 7/23/2017

bit offtop: Polish characters do not work properly. Is it because of app?

solidfunk
beers 20031 º places 1037 º 14:54 Sun 7/23/2017

Great design and good starting point. One solution in future might be to have no description ratings only visible on app and to other users. But longer descriptions and score breakdown available optionally, amd which count towards actual beer tallies.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 17:46 Sun 7/23/2017

So, i uinstalled the app because i tried to rate while drinking in this tap room and it would only let me rate in the app from mobile.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 19:09 Sun 7/23/2017

Originally posted by JK
So, i uinstalled the app because i tried to rate while drinking in this tap room and it would only let me rate in the app from mobile.

Earlier in thread someone posted how to fix this.

ben4321
beers 11316 º places 628 º 19:54 Sun 7/23/2017

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by adamnowek
Joe, it is infuriating that you dismiss the calls for attribute ratings from users that give you money every year because we are "a minority" of users.

Not a minority of users but even still a tiny minority of power users. Almost all power raters I talked to, as well as admins, were fully supportive of an abbreviated rating method for "on the go" ratings. On the go rating presents a number of challenges, and most RateBeerians, new and old, have been aware of challenges to ease of use and speed.

It’s not that we aren’t listening to you. We are. We have many users though and sometimes we all don’t feel the same way. This is a natural part of managing a community through change.

I honestly find this response offensive. I’ve spent the last month or whatever telling people that ask me that I don’t think the site will go downhill after the purchase, and that I plan to stick with it, but to just ignore this feedback that seems to represent a much large group than is claimed with a defense that it makes it faster. Wow.

Is the goal a worse, more blue untappd that has a .1 scale instead of .25? I am running out of responses to people who say "why not just use untappd?"