New RateBeer app: feedback

Reads 12926 • Replies 163 • Started Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:30:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 10:07 Wed 7/26/2017

On iPhone, I can’t see what I’m typing. Keyboard and "Done" button cover most of the screen, and text window doesn’t seem to scroll. Flipping sideways doesn’t help, since it doesn’t rotate.

Also, attributes pls.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 10:08 Wed 7/26/2017

Originally posted by douglas88
I just figured out the whole rating thing on the app. It does indeed go from .5 to 5.0 as usual. But you have to slide your finger across the numbers. Lots of users are also not seeing this. I feel dumb that I didn’t see it but then again, I’m old.

No worries. I think this will happen for everyone. Maybe we put hash marks in between the dots to show finer gradation?

We expect for there to be a learning curve and for this "learning effect" to have minimal impact on the overall ratings, personal or beer-side because most people will discover the ability before 10 mobile rates and will have a greater impact on the site with every subsequent review which is relatively much larger.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 10:35 Wed 7/26/2017

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by douglas88
I just figured out the whole rating thing on the app. It does indeed go from .5 to 5.0 as usual. But you have to slide your finger across the numbers. Lots of users are also not seeing this. I feel dumb that I didn’t see it but then again, I’m old.

No worries. I think this will happen for everyone. Maybe we put hash marks in between the dots to show finer gradation?

We expect for there to be a learning curve and for this "learning effect" to have minimal impact on the overall ratings, personal or beer-side because most people will discover the ability before 10 mobile rates and will have a greater impact on the site with every subsequent review which is relatively much larger.

Make the slider longer, maybe vertical on the screen. And make it easy to slide to the exact number desired.

Gichigami
16:43 Wed 7/26/2017

Some people have erroneously thought that objections to the AB InBev investment in RateBeer had to do with scores of beer somehow being manipulated. While JoeT has never actually explained why AB InBev did invest, the real reason seemed obvious from the start: access to data to monitor market trends to determine which styles they should be brewing, and which new breweries they should buy. The only legitimate counterpoint to that narrative was that AB InBev wouldn’t be interested in the opinion of such a small cross-section of the public that is currently actively using the site--I like to call these people the 0.1%. In my opinion, both sides of the argument were correct. AB InBev isn’t interested in these people (other than if they volunteer their time to expand and clean the database), but the investment was data related. The push now seems to become Untappd 2.0 to get a broader base of users so that AB InBev can get data from that wider range of people. If that happens at the expense of long-time users and compromises deeply rooted aspects of the site (e.g., attribute scores in the app), so be it. The 0.1% complain, but their complaints seem to fall on deaf ears as the AB InBev powered wheels of change roll on. I feel like I am watching a middle school breakup where one of the people in the relationship just doesn’t comprehend what is happening.

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 18:33 Wed 7/26/2017

Shouldn’t have been easier to get the data from Untappd, rather than trying to transform RB into Untappd, if that was the reason?

Gichigami
20:49 Wed 7/26/2017

Originally posted by fiulijn
Shouldn’t have been easier to get the data from Untappd, rather than trying to transform RB into Untappd, if that was the reason?

Sure, and maybe they will if things don’t pan out here. However, investing in RateBeer versus Untappd probably had some big advantages. First of all, RateBeer has a cleaner database and a team of incredibly dedicated admins who pour endless time into maintaining it--all for free. Secondly, RateBeer was probably much, much cheaper to invest in than Untappd. They are absolutely killing RateBeer in terms of number of users, and they seem to be growing quickly. JoeT has stated that he couldn’t find any other investors, so I don’t think there was much competition among investors here. In that situation, why not take a shot on RateBeer, and end up with a great source of information if it succeeds?

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 22:55 Wed 7/26/2017

One of the companies is worth tens of millions and the other is worth a case of Bud.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 22:57 Wed 7/26/2017

Originally posted by Gichigami
JoeT has stated that he couldn’t find any other investors

Where was the call for investment? There is zero evidence he asked anyone else—and if he did, he didn’t try very hard.

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 01:44 Thu 7/27/2017

Originally posted by puzzl

One of the companies is worth tens of millions and the other is worth a case of Bud.

so, they gave Joe about 4 bottles...
I think I can buy the rest of RB, I need to get 20 bottles of Bud. I hope Joe is still selling.

anstei
beers 3818 º places 87 º 02:32 Thu 7/27/2017

So thanks to the new app, we get ratings like the currently latest one on Sculpin:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/ballast-point-sculpin-ipa/50008/

( Screenshot in case it goes away: https://imgur.com/KYbaZna )

If you click on the user name, you get:

An internal server error.

If you want to link to the user’s rating, you get:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/ballast-point-sculpin-ipa/50008/485250/

"?? This rating is private"

I really don’t know whether I should laugh or cry. Has anyone ever actually thought all of this through from a technical perspective? It doesn’t seem to be the case.