New RateBeer app: feedback

Reads 12924 • Replies 163 • Started Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:30:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

mariuspoenari
beers 3297 º places 19 º 07:50 Thu 7/20/2017

Completely agree with cgarvieuk, I don’t care about percentiles at all, I only care about the average rating. I think this is the main reason why I won’t be using the app, and I doubt the average will be added to the app any time soon, since the general direction seems to be towards dumbing it down, not adding relevant info to the app.

I was in a bottle shop earlier today and could not use the app at all when trying to figure out what to buy.

Maakun
beers 10309 º places 319 º 08:03 Thu 7/20/2017

After with most things said so far. The main problem for now is you can add ratings which are supposedly ’public’ when you add the minimum character amount, yet this doesn’t really seem to work as they behave differently from ratings added on the website.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/test-test-test/222604/285335/

cgarvieuk
beers 37626 º places 457 º 08:13 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by mariuspoenari
Completely agree with cgarvieuk, I don’t care about percentiles at all, I only care about the average rating. I think this is the main reason why I won’t be using the app, and I doubt the average will be added to the app any time soon, since the general direction seems to be towards dumbing it down, not adding relevant info to the app.

I was in a bottle shop earlier today and could not use the app at all when trying to figure out what to buy.

Hsopping i could live with Overall score.

But the last thing i want to do, is pick up a beer, that i see is 99% to discover its actually 50% overall. just 99% in a style i hate. means i need to pay attention to style on bottle. Where as normally i dont care, im prepared to try anything as long as its 80+ overall

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 08:37 Thu 7/20/2017

Thanks for the feedback, folks. The team has been making updates since launch, the "space = and" search feature was already in the pipeline. Rating quickly on the go without attributes has received strong support from RateBeerians outside this forum and for a very long time, and long before the investment. We should all understand that RateBeerians posting in the forums represent a tiny fraction -- less than 0.1% of all users. The feedback that others would like the option to rate with attributes has definitely been heard. We’ll continue to update the app and update it quickly in the coming weeks and months.

Hang in there!

Marko
admin
beers 17886 º places 879 º 08:51 Thu 7/20/2017

Just to be clear - I’m not criticizing rating without attributes - if you remember, I was the first person here on Ratebeer advocating 0.1-margin ticks (if ticks were to be up front) which are basically that once the first mockups showed up instead of ZX’s original idea. I’m criticizing removing the possibility of rating with attributes. Never "or", always "and". That’s the only way to succeed.

And each time you repeat the 0.1% line, I’ll add that that 0.1% provides at least 95% of the data here, which happens to be RB’s main selling point. So I’m quite sure that it’s not good to alienate them.

Also, I’ve only heard, unprovoked and without suggestion support for attributes in real life. Without exception. From casual users and from readers. But let’s not go there further, it’s obvious that there’s both. Hanging in there, definitely, but I don’t see anyone I know here who uses RB using this app, and I don’t see how I’ll be able to convert people from UT until some glaring omissions are remedied. The app currently defeats its purpose in a lot of ways unfortunately, and I really do hope that you guys will change that. :)

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 08:56 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by mariuspoenari

Hsopping i could live with Overall score.

But the last thing i want to do, is pick up a beer, that i see is 99% to discover its actually 50% overall. just 99% in a style i hate. means i need to pay attention to style on bottle. Where as normally i dont care, im prepared to try anything as long as its 80+ overall

I would be surprised if this ever happens anymore though. 81 in style and 50 overall maybe, but there are so many beers in every style now that something that gets a 99 in style is bound to get at least an 80 overall. I’d love to know if there was a way to check that though!

Nevermind, Kristallweizen is still in that situation https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/baisinger-teufels-weisse-kristall/52426/

But if you steer clear of those you should be OK.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 08:59 Thu 7/20/2017

Also as general feedback, the app feels "bare" to me. I know lots of bells and whistles is not what we’re after right now but I can’t help but feel that I can’t do anything with an app that doesn’t show anything but my latest ratings on my profile page and doesn’t even have a settings button.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 09:02 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by Marko
Never "or", always "and".

Which is what we have if you count the web site as "and".

The way I’ve described RateBeer’s growth and position is that we immediately set out to cater to core raters and I began adding new pages and lists and features every day based on feedback. What this did was create an environment much like a garage with all the tools out lying in places that made sense to the mechanics but was intimidating and messy to everyone else.

Our big challenge now is to clean everything up, work on serving everyone, including top reviewers, and inviting in new users who in turn don’t just read information but also help support admins and top raters by adding beer-place pairing data, filling in data holes and sharing the load adding beers.

We’ve been through transitions before and we’ve backed out of a couple features to my recollection but overall we’ve had to change and adapt and will continue to change and adapt with your input. It won’t be easy but it will be better, I’m certain. I’ve done this before.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 09:06 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Also as general feedback, the app feels "bare" to me. I know lots of bells and whistles is not what we’re after right now but I can’t help but feel that I can’t do anything with an app that doesn’t show anything but my latest ratings on my profile page and doesn’t even have a settings button.

Yes, this was our intention. Get something up on the board, get a tool out for speed raters on the go, and make it very easy to use.

I’ll be sharing the roadmap in a few weeks but the basics are that we’ll be adding location features by year’s end, but have bugs fixed, sort and filter features out sooner. I’ll be able to share more about what we’re planning soon.

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 09:11 Thu 7/20/2017

Joe, it is infuriating that you dismiss the calls for attribute ratings from users that give you money every year because we are "a minority" of users. Why should we renew our subscriptions year after year when you have made it clear that our opinions are meaningless to the development of a platform that we have long supported?

I wasn’t at all worried about the investment in RateBeer from the perspective of journalistic integrity, but I am greatly concerned that dedicated users are being taken for granted.