New RateBeer app: feedback

Reads 12935 • Replies 163 • Started Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:30:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 09:20 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by adamnowek
Joe, it is infuriating that you dismiss the calls for attribute ratings from users that give you money every year because we are "a minority" of users.

Not a minority of users but even still a tiny minority of power users. Almost all power raters I talked to, as well as admins, were fully supportive of an abbreviated rating method for "on the go" ratings. On the go rating presents a number of challenges, and most RateBeerians, new and old, have been aware of challenges to ease of use and speed.

It’s not that we aren’t listening to you. We are. We have many users though and sometimes we all don’t feel the same way. This is a natural part of managing a community through change.

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 09:21 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by joet
We should all understand that RateBeerians posting in the forums represent a tiny fraction -- less than 0.1% of all users

How many beer ratings combined do all of the users clamouring for these changes represent? What about place ratings? Or what about the people that are admins? Or people that aren’t admins but still do their best to provide detailed information on beers and places to ensure that your database is accurate?

It would not be difficult to allow users that want to rate attributes in the app to be able to choose to do so. Otherwise, this app is just Untappd with significantly less functionality and a smaller user base.

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 09:24 Thu 7/20/2017

This is the second thread where you’ve defended decisions that power users don’t like by saying that you’ve done research. Provide that evidence, then.

Regardless, it’s amazing to me that a RateBeer app does not allow you to rate beer on RateBeer.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 09:27 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by mariuspoenari
I don’t care about percentiles at all, I only care about the average rating.

Most of us agree this is important. We’ve been working hard to find a good place for presenting this info while keeping the interface clean, which is a lot harder than it seems. Count on us having this available in a future release.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 09:31 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by mathieuc
Yeah, the search function is cool looking but it has some quirks. A search for "Auval 001" yielded no results ... I’ll surely use it to speed up my buying process next time I’m at the store!

Wow, I surely hadn’t caught that. Should be an easy fix. Thanks for the catch!

And yes, speed in places where you buy beer is one place we hope the app will excel. A few fewer keystrokes makes a big difference.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 09:33 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by flatmatt
Other things that haven’t been touched on:

- I hope Places features are coming.
- I am not sure why the beer graphic on the "User Profile" screen has to take up more than half the screen, even when I scroll down. Makes looking at my previous ratings quite difficult.

- Yes, Places are coming. This is not slated for release soon but is a prominent marker on the roadmap.
- Noted! Thanks!

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 09:34 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by ebone1988
When I tried to rate on the site, it redirected me to the app, which I then promptly deleted. I’m not ticking just an overall score here and calling it a day.

We got this feedback from the beta and are working on a fix. Thanks for bringing it up here. We’re on it!

Radek Kliber
beers 8151 º places 422 º 09:46 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Also as general feedback, the app feels "bare" to me. I know lots of bells and whistles is not what we’re after right now but I can’t help but feel that I can’t do anything with an app that doesn’t show anything but my latest ratings on my profile page and doesn’t even have a settings button.

Yes, this was our intention. Get something up on the board, get a tool out for speed raters on the go, and make it very easy to use.

I’ll be sharing the roadmap in a few weeks but the basics are that we’ll be adding location features by year’s end, but have bugs fixed, sort and filter features out sooner. I’ll be able to share more about what we’re planning soon.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 09:49 Thu 7/20/2017

Seems to missing the "Rich drop Bloke" button.

mariuspoenari
beers 3297 º places 19 º 09:59 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by mariuspoenari
I don’t care about percentiles at all, I only care about the average rating.

Most of us agree this is important. We’ve been working hard to find a good place for presenting this info while keeping the interface clean, which is a lot harder than it seems. Count on us having this available in a future release.

It would be nice if we had a Settings page where we can choose which one of the 3 values (avg rating, style percentile, overall percentile) gets displayed in the balloon on the beer details screen of the new app. That would keep it pretty clean, as well as make it customizable for each user.

Also, due to the fact that the app doesn’t display the average rating, coupled with the fact that the web page will automatically open a beer in the app instead of displaying the beer details in the browser, I had to uninstall the app to be able to see the average rating of a beer on my mobile phone. For me, the average rating for a beer is the first thing I check when searching for a beer.

Other than that, I personally don’t mind (and actually quite like) the fact that you can rate using a slider, but I am wondering where that rating goes, since it’s not displayed in the recent activity and is apparently not counted as part of the statistics.