New RateBeer app: feedback

Reads 12934 • Replies 163 • Started Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:30:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Christos
beers 6111 º places 110 º 16:00 Fri 7/21/2017

Originally posted by dnicolaescu
Originally posted by Christos
Originally posted by Sledutah
One of the biggest problems (other than missing features) I see with the app is that it opens when I click on a beer using the browser on my phone. Sent in feedback in June and again after this release.
Uninstalled the app. I’ll try the next release, hopefully it’s fixed.
I just uninstalled it from the tablet too, so annoying every beer link I click to open in the app and then in portrait too.
I’ll wait till this is fixed before I give it another try.

You can disable this from the app’s settings. It’s an Android thing.

Thanks, I’ll try it on the phone.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 16:23 Fri 7/21/2017

One of the biggest problems (other than missing features) I see with the app is that it opens when I click on a beer using the browser on my phone. Sent in feedback in June and again after this release.
I just uninstalled it from the tablet too, so annoying every beer link I click to open in the app and then in portrait too.

I uninstalled it too. I gave it a chance.
The Untappd app is so superior and a snap to use.

YantarCoast
beers 4644 º places 210 º 16:30 Fri 7/21/2017

Originally posted by tfredvik
iOS users may still use the rather nice BeerBuddy app while waiting for a working official app.

Indeed. BeerBuddy can do almost everything that the website version does (plus you can see everyone’s attribute ratings without any stupid hover-overs), and it works well too.

This official app feels like a beta version. Ok, it looks slick, but it is lacking so much, as others have already pointed out in detail.

Sledutah
beers 11279 º places 952 º 18:23 Fri 7/21/2017

Originally posted by dnicolaescu

You can disable this from the app’s settings. It’s an Android thing.

Thanks, that did the trick.

SinH4
beers 15468 º places 416 º 18:28 Fri 7/21/2017

I’ve mostly stayed quiet on this topic so far, but there were a couple of lines crossed for me recently. I might not count as a power user, but I’ve been among the Top50 most active users in the past 2 years and since I am a mathematician by profession, I really have the feeling I have to jump in somehow... I have to say, though, that I only read like half of the thread so far, so maybe I’m overemphasizing something that was cleared up already.

Originally posted by joet
Rating quickly on the go without attributes has received strong support from RateBeerians outside this forum and for a very long time, and long before the investment. We should all understand that RateBeerians posting in the forums represent a tiny fraction -- less than 0.1% of all users.

I don’t even care about whether you hear us or not: just beware that the ratings introduced by the new app are not comparable whatsoever with the ratings posted on the website, and any way to count them both towards any sort of overall or style scores needs a *really* good argument as to why they should be comparable, or extremely convincing statistics, which you first need to publish (after a test run of the app maybe?). I get that maybe the most active of all users have a feeling that they can get their end scores right, but this needs to be shown somehow.

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by adamnowek
Joe, it is infuriating that you dismiss the calls for attribute ratings from users that give you money every year because we are "a minority" of users.

Not a minority of users but even still a tiny minority of power users. Almost all power raters I talked to, as well as admins, were fully supportive of an abbreviated rating method for "on the go" ratings. On the go rating presents a number of challenges, and most RateBeerians, new and old, have been aware of challenges to ease of use and speed.

While the textual statement of what you write might be true, it also makes me really furious: The message is pure bullshit, and you must know this. Even implying that the scores of the new app and the website are comparable is a stretch, and expecting us to believe this is an insult, if you ask me. If you seriously believe that this will be useful, I don’t really believe anymore that you are a programmer.

If anything, the new app *increases* the time a serious ratebeerian needs to post a rating, because they will need to add together their individual scores in their heads and then post the correct number. Of course, this assumes the state of mind of a current ratebeerian. If everyone adopts the new system (*and* you discard all old ratings) there’s no issue here, but you somehow encourage two ways of rating here which are not compatible at all.

Since I am addicted to rating (maybe because I am a so-called ’power user’), I will continue to provide my data, but I will from now on make it very clear that I believe that ratebeer scores are as worthless as any randomly assigned number to anything can be. Ratebeer scores used to at least have some sort of a meaning, even if it was extremely limited.

I would like to see some transparency in the way the separation between the two review systems is intended to be kept.

Sarlacc83
beers 2662 º places 111 º 18:56 Fri 7/21/2017

In another thread, I posted that I was not expecting much from the app given the ’redesign’ of the site.

Looks like I don’t even need to bother installing it to see that’s true.

On the flip side, it’s amazing to see this level of amateur programming from an ABI subsidary.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 21:43 Fri 7/21/2017

Yo why the hell is this app 30mb btw? It barely even does anything, what’s taking up all that space? I’m gonna snoop around in the app contents when I’m back at work on Monday, I’m really curious. I have a sneaking suspicion that a pared down version of the database might be being stored on the device.

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 03:51 Sat 7/22/2017

Originally posted by douglas88
I’m a bit confused. Seems like the App only allows .5,1,2,3,4,5 as ’ratings’. These are then ticks. Are they recorded as ticks?

They are not recorded as ticks; they are recorded as ratings. They do not add to your ratings count, though, and even ’ratings’ made in the app that are under the character limit are made public on your profile and the beer page (even though the app explicitly mentions that they won’t be made public).

cgarvieuk
beers 37626 º places 457 º 12:02 Sat 7/22/2017

On Android this can be fixed by going to the apo settings and changing it to open in original source

PorterPounder
beers 11043 º places 776 º 19:07 Sat 7/22/2017

I am trying to give the app a try without expecting a whole lot at first until the kinks get worked, My issues (along with what others have said):
As an admin, I will edit beer descriptions or add a new beer through the web site online when I am at a brewpub, When I try to do it now, I get switched to the app and I have no idea what is going to happen,

I am going to delete the app for now and just continue to use the online website version where I know what is going to happen with my data,

I have also started to check in to places with untappd......seems we used to be able to do this with the old app. Haven’t started rating there yet as it is a carnival of errors, but may have to.