New RateBeer app: feedback

Reads 12933 • Replies 163 • Started Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:30:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

allmyvinyl
beers 19455 º places 21 º 10:19 Thu 7/20/2017

Did a short test rate for a beer I’ll be drinking later... offline rating one of the best things about Eric’s app. https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bishop-nick-heresy/170529/128401/ definitely not over character limit. Not in recent activity, but on the beer’s page.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 10:27 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by allmyvinyl
Did a short test rate for a beer I’ll be drinking later... offline rating one of the best things about Eric’s app. https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bishop-nick-heresy/170529/128401/ definitely not over character limit. Not in recent activity, but on the beer’s page.

Only visible for you. This is what I see

allmyvinyl
beers 19455 º places 21 º 10:41 Thu 7/20/2017

Aah. OK then.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 10:45 Thu 7/20/2017

Soo...I tried to download the app but can’t find it in the App Store. When I type in Ratebeer, Untappd is first. I scrolled for a bit but didn’t see it.

allmyvinyl
beers 19455 º places 21 º 10:46 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by allmyvinyl
Aah. OK then.

Did the test rate on my phone, went to check on the laptop. Once I logged out of my account on the laptop I couldn’t see it. All good.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 11:33 Thu 7/20/2017

Does the app only support apple keyboard on iPhone? Using smartkey is the only way for me to be efficient at entering shitty ratings during fests and tastings!

herrklemann
beers 1279 º places 56 º 11:37 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
Soo...I tried to download the app but can’t find it in the App Store. When I type in Ratebeer, Untappd is first. I scrolled for a bit but didn’t see it.

I was wondering about that - and mildly amused by it - as well. It’s the RateBeer App with the blue icon. It was third in line after Untappd and a sponsored App for me.

I’m amazed by how little this app is offering. The are no other functions than the new rating system. When looking at your profile, half the screen is blocked by my avatar and 4 Weizen glasses. There’s no short list of my ratings. No way to access Top50s. No places.

I’ll gladly stay with Eric’s app until my phone logs me out.

Edit:
And after reading Joe and Adams back and forth here, I’m not even sure I want to renew my premium. Sure, it’s not much. But I need more than the assurance of "I’ve done this before" to spend my money on something.

jercraigs
beers 14882 º places 1051 º 11:53 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by adamnowek
Joe, it is infuriating that you dismiss the calls for attribute ratings from users that give you money every year because we are "a minority" of users.

Not a minority of users but even still a tiny minority of power users. Almost all power raters I talked to, as well as admins, were fully supportive of an abbreviated rating method for "on the go" ratings. On the go rating presents a number of challenges, and most RateBeerians, new and old, have been aware of challenges to ease of use and speed.

I feel like you are interpreting feedback to fit the app rather than the other way around.

Personally I like the idea of being able to do both full ratings (e.g a tasting) and faster ratings (e.g. a festival), if and only if they integrate fully and properly. For me this means having the full attributes available. This means seeing them showing up on the site the same as all of my other ratings. Anything less than that is a waste of my time, and means I need to seek a non-Ratebeer solution if that’s what I want to do.

Bottom line - is the app is seemingly not (currently) designed for 99% of the people commenting in this thread, nor was it intended to be.

Marko
admin
beers 17886 º places 879 º 11:59 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by Marko
Never "or", always "and".

Which is what we have if you count the web site as "and".

And we don’t since the web site is hardly optimal to use while on the phone - which is why the app was needed.

Funny how all those "power users" kept shut when everybody else went ballistic when the attributes were visually removed... But okay, your prerogative. I just hate potential going (potentially) to waste, just because. You continue on with your course of development, I’ll continue with what i deem to be constructive criticism while relaying everything people around me are saying, outside the dev team’s potential echo chamber.

Marko
admin
beers 17886 º places 879 º 12:00 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by jercraigs
Originally posted by adamnowek
Joe, it is infuriating that you dismiss the calls for attribute ratings from users that give you money every year because we are "a minority" of users.

Not a minority of users but even still a tiny minority of power users. Almost all power raters I talked to, as well as admins, were fully supportive of an abbreviated rating method for "on the go" ratings. On the go rating presents a number of challenges, and most RateBeerians, new and old, have been aware of challenges to ease of use and speed.

I feel like you are interpreting feedback to fit the app rather than the other way around.

Personally I like the idea of being able to do both full ratings (e.g a tasting) and faster ratings (e.g. a festival), if and only if they integrate fully and properly. For me this means having the full attributes available. This means seeing them showing up on the site the same as all of my other ratings. Anything less than that is a waste of my time, and means I need to seek a non-Ratebeer solution if that’s what I want to do.

Bottom line - is the app is seemingly not (currently) designed for 99% of the people commenting in this thread, nor was it intended to be.

This.