New RateBeer app: feedback

Reads 12929 • Replies 163 • Started Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:30:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

explosivedog
admin
beers 12867 º places 582 º 04:58 Thu 7/20/2017

Same problem as most people. Let me know when I can rate beers properly in the new app and I’ll switch over.

MarcoDL
beers 9607 º places 213 º 05:31 Thu 7/20/2017

The fact that rating is not possible on the RATEbeer app is absolutely ridiculous. That’s the main function of this entire community.

Marko
admin
beers 17886 º places 879 º 05:41 Thu 7/20/2017

Downloaded, checked it out.

Pros:
-Yup, the search is fast and gives no fuck about strange characters.
-Looks kinda nice and sleek
-Internationalization through translation is something I truly love and support (can do a Croatian translation, which would help in ex-Yu areas).

Cons:
-Called 1.0.0 while clearly missing a huge amount of features one would expect from Ratebeer. A polished work in progress beta at most.
-As I said before, catering solely to the lowest common denominator and the least serious user, so it’s useless for me and I’ll likely be deleting it or simply dumping it in a folder and "forgetting" about it until I see/hear that I have any use at all for it.
-No flexibility - the "compromise" solution is not a real final solution. I see no reason why it shouldn’t be up front, but give us options! If anybody still clings to that shitty feedback after all this time and all the rage and hate about that....
-Sole insistence on to-style ratings everywhere is massively irritating, though I can see why they did that (the casual shopper angle).
-The search is completely made useless by something as simple as word order - which is terrible as you can easily get that wrong from labels, heck, even beer lists at a bar wrong, in thousands on thousands of occasions
-A mobile rating app without a barcode scanner is crippled (not finding one, sorry if it’s there). If they are drooling all over Vivino and Untappd @ZX, it boggles my mind why they hadn’t implemented it immediately.
-Places aren’t implemented yet, but will be hopefully. I’m just afraid that they don’t get crippled as much as rating is.

-Is the language automatically set through phone settings? Bad idea if so, people might want to use other languages.

mathieuc
beers 3997 º places 5 º 05:51 Thu 7/20/2017

Yeah, the search function is cool looking but it has some quirks. A search for "Auval 001" yielded no results altough it was entered exactly like that and has a rating or two (I thought it was zero rating beers that didn’t show up at first). Can’t tell what could be wrong then, I hope it is an easy thing to fix as it is a really slick app and I’ll surely use it to speed up my buying process next time I’m at the store!

mathieuc
beers 3997 º places 5 º 05:54 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by mathieuc
A search for "Auval 001" yielded no results altough it was entered exactly like that

Clicking the link on the website does bring me to the right beer showing all informations and rating, though, but that defeats the purpose of an in-app search box really.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 06:50 Thu 7/20/2017

Feedback (I submitted some via the app itself already):
Pros:
- Really like the design
- I’m cool with the single slider and no breakdown options for ratings. I am probably one of those filthy casuals that only cares about the overall average score of a beer when making purchasing
- To style % are a good thing according to me (much rather know its a 100 percentile pils than a 67 overall beer)

Cons:
- Barcode scanner missing (actually a big deal!)
- Places missing, would be especially good with a geo-location thing that shows nearby places and such.
- Search is efficient but won’t recognize word order which is a pretty big setback as Marko mentionned.

Requests:
- Would love to see some preference settings, like sorting ratings by recent or top, or sorting search results, looking at a full brewery page and seeing places nearby.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 06:56 Thu 7/20/2017

Also, I rated a beer on the app and I can see my rating on the website but it’s not tallying to my total rating count.

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 07:03 Thu 7/20/2017

When I tried to rate on the site, it redirected me to the app, which I then promptly deleted. I’m not ticking just an overall score here and calling it a day.

gregwilsonstl
beers 2979 º places 37 º 07:10 Thu 7/20/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk

I know Joe consulted on this but i still feel its been aimed at getting New Users, not the Current User base.

Any consultant worth a damn would tell Joet that the best and easiest way to get more users would be to have us users think the app and website are worth telling our friends about.

As is, I tell my beer friends that I am on the MySpace of beer sites.

We arent given reasons to recruit and refer, we are only getting steps backwards.

cgarvieuk
beers 37626 º places 457 º 07:32 Thu 7/20/2017

what the rating to style bit people are talking about?

ay you mean it shows the rating to sytle not the rating over all. In fact id far rather the Bloody score.

I dont actually care if its top in style or 50 overall, i care its average is 3.8 and i gave it 3.1