What ya’ drinking? Part Eight!

Reads 143202 • Replies 1839 • Started Monday, April 1, 2013 7:22:24 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Dedollewaitor
beers 21460 º places 541 º 01:48 Sat 7/20/2013

Mahrs Ungespundets

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 02:54 Sat 7/20/2013

Originally posted by TAR
Originally posted by pinkie

Maybe it was the leafy quality of the noble hops that remind you of rotting fruit? Or the musk that made you think it was not clean.

Northern Brewer is not a noble hop. Either way, though, if used properly, noble hops should never resemble anything but flowers, spices and herbs. Rotting fruit is a fermentation defect from poor attenuation.

Regarding the lack of cleanness with Anchor Steam: it’s the severely husky malt and diacetyl that I am unable to overlook in this beer. And I am not talking slightly unclean; it’s actually unclean to the point of being offensive.

Well I am still a rookie with under 200 ratings so I really like your post. I have 3 more of those and I am trying to observe similarly to what you describe. =)

The malt is husky, I notice that. I notice a musk or musty quality, like dust in the nose. I wasn’t sure if that was hops or malt. I decided it was hops. I had a beer that had this same quality only gone horribly awry and it tasted like pencil erasers. Can you help with identifying that one?

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 05:12 Sat 7/20/2013

Originally posted by pinkie
So what was the Sinners Club?

Back in the day, Lost Abbey sold memberships to Saints Club and Sinners Club and...shipped the beers. The Saints got a lot of the regular lineup whilst the Sinners got some of the rarer stuff. Duck Duck Gooze was one of them.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 05:14 Sat 7/20/2013

Originally posted by IrishBoy
Originally posted by Bill Becker
2010 Red Poppy. My last bottle evah from the old Sinners Club days and most likely, the best!

I still have a Sinners 08 and a couple of Saints Devotion left in the cellar. Guess maybe I will pull those out soon. Busy with my ancient Rogue Imp stouts right now. I have finally decided it is too hard to find people to share with here, so i will do my verticals one bottle each day. FW 10-16 and Stone 030303-121212 on deck.

Holy crapola!

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 05:27 Sat 7/20/2013

Originally posted by Dedollewaitor
Mahrs Ungespundets

The regular or the fantastic wood cask version at the pub?

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 05:29 Sat 7/20/2013

Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by Dedollewaitor
Mahrs Ungespundets

The regular or the fantastic wood cask version at the pub?

I stood there drinking it and said to myself "everything I know about beer is wrong."

I then had the regular keg version back at my hotel and although you can tell it’s the same beer, it just doesn’t have the life, intensity or vitality

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 05:29 Sat 7/20/2013

Corsendonk Blanche d’Ardenne

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 05:49 Sat 7/20/2013

Well I was reading a little about hops and I thought that northern brewer is used as a substitute for noble hops in many american beers.

http://www.homebrewers.com/c=48YKi69bsC3Wk8I95NkR02Ehw/category/aatdvarks.videos.001_beginner.hops/

"Moving over seas, the next variety of hops come from Europe. Most of these varieties are termed Noble hops, because they were the first to be cultivated. These hops are usually lower in alpha-acids as well as the aromatic oils and resins. Common noble varieties include Hallertauer, Tettnang, Saaz, Tradition, and Northern Brewer."

That’s why I thought it was noble hops.

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 05:51 Sat 7/20/2013

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/la-fromulus-biere-de-steenvorde-brune-cuvee-speciale/56536/

Brown beer from Van Eecke. yep it’s a Belgian brown ale.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 07:04 Sat 7/20/2013

Palo Santo Marron