All Cantillon & 3 Fonteinen pulled from Ebay

Reads 53989 • Replies 369 • Started Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:36:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

skycracksopen
15:36 Sun 7/29/2012

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but it looks like it may have just happened earlier today.

I often use Ebay just to see what kind of values people think that rare beers have, and I’m not finding any results for bottles of 3F or Cantillon like I usually would. There could be other breweries too, I just noticed these two. Maybe the brewers got in touch with Ebay and asked them to put a stop to it.

A good thing in most ways, but maybe bad for the people who are willing to pay the ridiculous prices.

I assume you’re all happy about this, right? Might make the trading market more lucrative, and the ripping people off market less lucrative.

skycracksopen
15:38 Sun 7/29/2012

Actually, searching through the completed listings, it looks like most of them were pulled at 4:44 on July 28th.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 15:41 Sun 7/29/2012

Looks like all beers, Lost Abbey, Russian River, everything. Thank the lord. No more people in line for beer ready to eBay it immediately.

javit
15:46 Sun 7/29/2012

There has been tons pulled in the last 24 hours but there are a lot of other breweries still up. It’s just a reaction to the latest eBay/brewery dust up. It will pass I’m sure.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 15:47 Sun 7/29/2012

How my rar Pokémon are now worthless )):

StFun
beers 567 º places 11 º 15:48 Sun 7/29/2012

Originally posted by skycracksopen

Might make the trading market more lucrative, and the ripping people off market less lucrative.

Many times, those two markets are one and the same. I’ve been asked to pay higher prices in the trading market than on the ebay market several times. In fact, I have bought a few bottles of EBay strictly because it was much cheaper to pay $50 and get the bottle shipped to me than to send some beer-ransomer $70-80 in beer, spend the time packing it up, and then paying for shipping. Honestly, I’d go as far to say that the trading market is worse than the ebay market right now (I’m talking about just the markets, and not factoring in trading partners, trade reps, etc). I hate ebay in theory, but the trading market has gotten so bad that ebay looks better and better by comparison.

Honestly, I am very lucky to have gotten into trading when I did and to have made the friends and contacts that I have. While I can’t get near *everything* I’d like to try, I just really can’t really imagine getting into the game in the past 18 months with hoarding and ransoming off the charts.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 15:50 Sun 7/29/2012

That can happen, but on this site there are a ton of ebayers and thus a ton of people sympathetic to the grey market whenever this topic comes up.

skycracksopen
15:57 Sun 7/29/2012

Originally posted by StFun
Many times, those two markets are one and the same.

True. I am guilty of buying on eBay a few times for things I couldn’t find for trade, or if I didn’t have anything good enough to trade for it at that time. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

tyler_mn
beers 1475 º places 67 º 15:58 Sun 7/29/2012

Honestly, I am very lucky to have gotten into trading when I did and to have made the friends and contacts that I have. While I can’t get near *everything* I’d like to try, I just really can’t really imagine getting into the game in the past 18 months with hoarding and ransoming off the charts.

Well put. I couldn’t agree more.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 16:05 Sun 7/29/2012

Originally posted by tyler_mn

Well put. I couldn’t agree more.

+1

beeralert
16:53 Sun 7/29/2012

Dear XXXX (XXXXX),

You recently listed the following:

XXXXXXXXX

Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because of the following:

You listed craft beer. Craft beer (or beer from a microbrewery) is gernerally [[sic]] sought after for its contents and not for the bottle so we have made the decision not to allow it on the site. Please do not list any more craft beer.

We understand that it is a frustrating situation to have your item removed from eBay, especially if you have seen other listings like yours on the site. If you do come across any other items that are the same or similar to yours, and you feel that they are in violation of our policies, please report them to us using the "report item" link on the listing page.

eBay does not permit listings for most alcoholic beverages and tobacco products on our U.S. Web site. This includes cigarettes, cigars, and smokeless tobacco. In addition, non-U.S. members are not allowed to sell alcohol to an eBay member who is located in the United States.

However, listings for some tobacco- or alcohol-related collectibles, such as packaging, containers, and other memorabilia, are permitted on eBay under certain conditions.

For more information about this eBay policy, please visit:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/alcohol.html

Please note: violation of this or other eBay policies may result in forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings, limits on account privileges and account suspension.

You can review our list of prohibited and restricted items here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/items-ov.html

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay

Why did eBay remove my listing?
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/listing-ended.html

Knowing the rules for sellers:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/policies.html

-----