FedEx exception. Returning to Sender

Reads 36067 • Replies 61 • Started Friday, June 21, 2013 4:15:48 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 04:15 Fri 6/21/2013

Got an email from FedEx that said "exception" and the website says the following. It was a box coming to me. Any advice on the best way to proceed or what to do? Not sure if they contacted the sender yet.

Improper shipment - Unable to deliver shipment - Returning to shipper
Recommended action:
No action is required. The package is being returned to the shipper.

Any advice is appreciated. This is the first time I’ve had something like this happen in a trade.

blklab2007
beers 2121 º places 17 º 05:16 Fri 6/21/2013

Something probably broke while in transit.

GH734uKzl
beers 702 º places 1 º 05:16 Fri 6/21/2013

As the sender, all I can say us damn. Hope nothing broke.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 05:25 Fri 6/21/2013

Hey Eric, I wasn’t trying to call you out. Hope you didnt take it that way. This is the first time I’ve had a box on either end break with fedex so I figured some veteran advice could help us figure out what best to do.

GH734uKzl
beers 702 º places 1 º 05:31 Fri 6/21/2013

Didn’t take it that way. When it gets back to me I will repack in the lovely bottle shipper you used and send it on back your way.

Bvdubn
beers 17 º 07:19 Fri 6/21/2013

I had bottles break in a shipper at the end of April. I would love to see what happens to a box when bottles break in a foam shipper. I saw someone drop a foam shipper full of beer while carrying it and everything in the box was fine. I would think it would have to be dropped from pretty high up (i.e. the truck) or maybe hit with a forklift but I never worked in shipping so I am just speculating.

---Posted via Beer Buddy for iPhone

BrewtopiaofPJ
beers 67 º places 4 º 07:32 Fri 6/21/2013

I’ve had fedex return box to me that had nothing broken, but had been repacked and put into a different box, with the remains from the original box. It looked like exterior of box was in a mangler. Another box was returned to me with tire tracks on box and crushed bottles inside, they just put entire box in a plastic bag.

blklab2007
beers 2121 º places 17 º 07:42 Fri 6/21/2013

My favorite is when I hear the boxes slam into my front door as they throw them up onto my porch. They toss boxes from ten feet away. I actually was outside and witnessed it once and called the guy out on it. Thankfully now my Fedex driver is a friend of mine and boy has he told me some stories about "safe handling" of packages.

Cleg
places 1 º 07:51 Fri 6/21/2013

call them up and be polite at first, (They will ask what is in the box). Then ask to speak to the person who runs the distribution center (where it last arrived) and talk to them. Tell them some BS story about how your brother in law (in this case, sender) sent you some beers that you cannot get here in FLorida and didnt realize that it was against policy, etc. They might be nice and send your way if you explain.

I had this happen with a shipper that I sent FROM myself in Illinois, TO myself in Florida. Spoke with teh guy at the Orlando distribution center where it was at, told him a contrived story about rare beers and didnt realize it was against policy, ya da ya da ya da.

Next day, box was on my door and repackaged by them.

IF YOU DO NOT CALL, your beer is on its way to UTAH, where nothing will see the light of day again.

Good Luck

Bvdubn
beers 17 º 07:52 Fri 6/21/2013

Originally posted by blklab2007
My favorite is when I hear the boxes slam into my front door as they throw them up onto my porch. They toss boxes from ten feet away. I actually was outside and witnessed it once and called the guy out on it. Thankfully now my Fedex driver is a friend of mine and boy has he told me some stories about "safe handling" of packages.

I am sure that fragile means nothing to some handlers but I would think if they break enough stuff then action would need to be taken. FedEx would know who the delivery guy was if he was throwing boxes and breaking things at people’s houses (assuming they file a claim).

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 07:57 Fri 6/21/2013

Action would only be taken if something was broken and reported...and some shipping beer illegaly is unlikely to report anything.

Trading Policy  

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

View Beer Deliveries
New To Trading?
Mail Order Beer
 P  Most Wanted Beer