What’s on the go?

Reads 11740 • Replies 102 • Started Friday, February 13, 2015 7:18:04 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 14:23 Tue 2/17/2015

First runnings are DARK

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 21:45 Wed 2/18/2015

Originally posted by drowland
First runnings are DARK

Looking at your malt bill, hell yes. Gonna be dark.
I see that some of it is debittered. One other way to reduce the astringent quality when you’re adding a whopping lot of dark malt is to add it to the end of your mash.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 10:31 Sat 3/28/2015

Originally posted by bitbucket
Originally posted by drowland
First runnings are DARK

Looking at your malt bill, hell yes. Gonna be dark.
I see that some of it is debittered. One other way to reduce the astringent quality when you’re adding a whopping lot of dark malt is to add it to the end of your mash.

That was just a leftovers batch - toss everything in and fuck it! It turned out as sort of a black ipa. Quite tasty, actually.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 10:31 Sat 3/28/2015

Transferring a strong porter onto toasted coconut today

bgburdman9
beers 861 º places 25 º 11:59 Sat 3/28/2015

I have an all citra ipa dry hopping now that will be kegged middle of next week. Also have a helles that is moving down to lagering temps where it will stay for the next month. In kegs there is a hefe, cider fermented with s04, and an oatmeal stout that was split in half and half got coffee and the other half got cocoa nibs, cinnamon, ancho and pasilla peppers.

Trying to figure out what to brew next as I have tuesday off work. Probably will do something sessionable maybe a saison or a hoppy amber.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 04:06 Mon 3/30/2015

My strong, dark sour isn’t off to a great start. Rodenbach Vintage doesn’t contain any yeast, the Struise Ypres was a bit rubbish, so I dumped the dregs. I’m trying to culture the Rodenbach Character Rouge dregs but there doesn’t seem to be much activity after 7 days. Going to leave it and see what happens, but if it doesn’t work, I’m going to have to look elsewhere for bugs.

I have a lot of stuff cultured but it’s mostly for saisons and pale, funky sours, so it’s not really the sort of funk I want in this beer. I want something more fruit forward. I might go with a vial of White Labs Flemish Sour blend and a vial of The Yeast Bay’s Lochristi Brettanomyces Blend, but I normally prefer to have at least some bottle dregs in addition to any commercial cultures I end up using.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 09:45 Tue 3/31/2015

Brewed a 10 gallon batch the weekend before last. 83% German Pils, 11% Rye and 7% Oats. No boil hops, just a load of Simcoe and Nelson with a little Equinox and Exp. 07270 thrown into the whirlpool.

Half the batch was fermented with US-05 and is pretty much done. I kegged it with the dry hops last night. 4 ounces of Nelson, 1.5 ounces of Equinox, 1.5 ounces of Exp. 07270 and 1 ounce of Simcoe. It smells amazing!

The other half was pitched with Wyeast 3724 (the notorious Dupont strain) and is still chugging away very slowly. I checked the gravity after 5 days and it was only down to 1.038 from 1.054. It’s sitting at 77 degrees F right now, and I plan on raising it a little each day over the next couple weeks. Eventually, I’m thinking of pitching some Brett B in a closed secondary (probably a sealed keg) to get some funk and dry hopping with more Nelson before bottling.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 09:57 Tue 3/31/2015

Just moved a small batch of APA onto 6 oz of dry hop (Simcoe Amarillo Centennial) Getting some starter wort ready today in order to brew a Svetly and a low-gravity saison this weekend as well.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 10:18 Tue 3/31/2015

The Florida Weisse I mentioned earlier has not really gone according to plan. pH only got down to 3.7 before I killed of the lacto (there wasn’t any activity and hardly any sugar left anyway) with a boil and now it’s sitting at 1008. Would ideally like it to drop a point or two more. Anyway, we’re adding fruit to it tomorrow. Leaning towards passion fruit, raspberries, lime and mint leaves. Kind of mojito inspired, even if I’ll be careful with the mint, should only be more of a hint. Also planning to add a bit of lactic acid to it in order to get the pH down a bit. A fake sour in the end really.

The imperial stout I mentioned has been chugging along nicely. Added about 10 points of honey to it and now half of the batch sits at 1027 and the other at 1025. Will transfer to secondary soon and try to blend the batches 50/50 in the process. Half of it will get a healthy dose of Maker’s Mark and oak chips and the other one some cold brewed Ethiopian coffee. Will also bottle a few bottles without adjuncts to send in to the judged competition at the Swedish Nationals.

Did a test batch (5 litres) of a "modern"/New England IPA a few weeks back that has turned out really nicely. Will do a full 19 l batch next Wednesday (not tomorrow) with a news team (!) on site. Apparently, the press is interested in local brewers competing in the Swedish Nationals.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 10:38 Tue 3/31/2015

Originally posted by VsXsV
The Florida Weisse I mentioned earlier has not really gone according to plan. pH only got down to 3.7 before I killed of the lacto (there wasn’t any activity and hardly any sugar left anyway) with a boil and now it’s sitting at 1008. Would ideally like it to drop a point or two more. Anyway, we’re adding fruit to it tomorrow. Leaning towards passion fruit, raspberries, lime and mint leaves. Kind of mojito inspired, even if I’ll be careful with the mint, should only be more of a hint. Also planning to add a bit of lactic acid to it in order to get the pH down a bit. A fake sour in the end really.

If you don’t want to go fake, you could do a small batch of a few litres (either a small mash or extract), then stick in a handful of grain or some lactobacillus, and keep it very warm until it gets very sour, then boil to sterilise and blend with your main batch. Shouldn’t take more than a couple of days if the temperature is high and there’s a decent amount of lacto. Just a thought.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer