Official RateBeer Folding @ Home Team - Join NOW!

Reads 26710 • Replies 357 • Started Monday, October 21, 2013 2:52:44 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 02:52 Mon 10/21/2013

There’s a thread in the premium forums where a few members joined and began contributing to this software that helps find cures for various diseases. I think there are a few non-premium RBers that may want to contribute so I’ve put together a handy guide:

What is Folding @ Home: (via Wikipedia)

Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. The project uses the idle processing resources of thousands of personal computers owned by volunteers who have installed the software on their systems. Its primary purpose is to determine the mechanisms of protein folding, which is the process by which proteins reach their final three-dimensional structure, and to examine the causes of protein misfolding. This is of significant academic interest with major implications for medical research into Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, and many forms of cancer, among other diseases.

How do you install it?:

You can download Folding for Windows, Mac and Linux - http://folding.stanford.edu/home/the-software/

Joining the RateBeer Team:

After you install, open the client software (later versions have settings within your web browser) and enter team #225053. This is the RateBeer team and will allow us to get points based on the protein calculations you perform. Please use your RB name in the identification area so we know who’s putting in the most work. Here’s a screenshot:

=========

FAQs: (Stolen from here) but these are common questions in the OTL thread.

What are the minimum system requirements?
All computers can contribute to Folding@home. However, if the computer is too slow (e.g. wasn’t bought in the last 3-4 years or so), the computer might not be fast enough to make the deadlines of typical work units. A Pentium 3 450 MHz or newer equivalent computer (with SSE) is able to complete work units before they expire.

Does Folding@home run on dual processor or multi-core machines?
Yes it can. Our V7 client will automatically set this up by default. Folding@home was one of the first project to utilize multi-core processing for distributed computing. This additional power significantly accelerates our research, allowing us to complete our simulations in a few months when it would otherwise take several years. In return, we award additional points to donors who run Folding@home on these multi-core machines. See the High Performance and Passkey FAQs for further details.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 02:53 Mon 10/21/2013

Will running the Folding@Home client in any way hurt or impact my computer? (via DSL Reports):
No. The only time it could become an issue is in a computer that in not cooled properly. The program does keep the CPU busy, which generates heat. This should not be a problem as long as the CPU has the proper cooler and the case is properly ventilated.

========

There are a few Folding @ Home people on here that can answer questions if you have them. Right now, our team is in the top 4,000 Folding teams and we have 20 machines active doing tasks. You can check out our team stats below:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=225053

Please consider joining. You can set your machine to work full time or only work when idle. It doesn’t affect performance and you contribute to a great cause.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 10:20 Mon 10/21/2013

I posted this early so BUMP for the west coasters. Reply if you joined the folding team!

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 10:21 Mon 10/21/2013

founding member, suckas

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 10:25 Mon 10/21/2013

Originally posted by womencantsail
founding member, suckas

This makes me wish RB had a system for more badges!

"OTLER"
"Premium 5+ Years"
"Folding Contributor"
"Best of RateBeer winner"

or like if you’re on any of those lists like "sour heads" you get a badge for that as well. Would be really cool! but probably not in scope any time soon.

MicroGrog
beers 3249 º places 165 º 10:35 Mon 10/21/2013

I did a lot of folding, Seti, Prime, Rosetta, etc. for a team on a tech website a few years back. I use to have a decent sized farm in my basement. I’ve since downsized, but if you are a stats geek, however casual, you will find yourself over analyzing your results all the time. It can become a serious hobby for some.

If anything, however slim, there is always a chance we’ll help discover something.

Sledutah
beers 11279 º places 952 º 12:34 Mon 10/21/2013

I think I will give it a try.

maxwelldeux
beers 4373 º places 148 º 12:45 Mon 10/21/2013

It also comes pre-installed on the PS3, so you can run it on that, as well.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 13:02 Mon 10/21/2013

Originally posted by maxwelldeux
It also comes pre-installed on the PS3, so you can run it on that, as well.

They pulled that with an update a year or so ago.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 21:43 Mon 10/21/2013

join join join groin

TheBeerSommelier
22:02 Mon 10/21/2013

It’s like getting a flu vaccine - totally painless and potentially helps everyone.