Official RateBeer Folding @ Home Team - Join NOW!

Reads 26705 • Replies 357 • Started Monday, October 21, 2013 2:52:44 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Sledutah
beers 11279 º places 952 º 10:50 Thu 1/30/2014

Originally posted by sethdude
I don’t think I’ve mentioned this here, so I’ll let you in a bit on why this project is so important to me:

I lost my paternal grandmother in May to Alzheimer’s, and my grandmother on my stepfather’s side is currently living out her last days in a nursing facility as an Alzheimer’s patient- confused, alone, and terrified. Even though her loving husband of 70 years is at her side constantly, she sees only strangers.

When you see firsthand how horrific degenerative disease is, it shocks you. You feel hopeless as you watch your loved ones slip away, their physical body continuing to live while their minds are lost forever. A project like this allows some sort of action to combat the absolute hopelessness of the disease. If any of this science can help one person avoid or defeat the horror of erasing an entire life’s worth of memory, then I’m happy to help. At whatever cost.

All the other diseases this helps, well, that’s just the icing on the cake.

I really appreciate the dedication and level of contribution from everyone involved in this project. It means a lot to me, that’s for sure.

Sorry to hear that. It is very hard to watch a person going through that. My grandma died of Alzheimers 10 years ago (along with her Mom before that). My Mom unfortunately also ended up with this. It is something she feared she would get for several years. She has gone downhill the last year, surprised how fast this takes hold and doesn’t let go. She is still at home with my Dad as the major caregiver with some help from at home services. It kills me to watch what this disease does, she was so smart, kind and would help anybody. Now she wonders around her house confused and dazed. Very sad!

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 07:47 Sat 2/1/2014

My machine is off until Monday

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 10:46 Sat 2/1/2014

Really thinking about investing in a gaming computer. If that happens, I’d be down for getting in on this.

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 10:49 Sat 2/1/2014

It’s killing me knowing that my computer I left running while on vacation must have restarted or shutdown. I was hoping to keep helping the cause. I better hit it had when I get back 12 Feb.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 18:08 Mon 2/3/2014

Originally posted by pepsican
Really thinking about investing in a gaming computer. If that happens, I’d be down for getting in on this.

Your contributions would be welcomed

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 18:09 Mon 2/3/2014

We should be in the 800s tomorrow sometime

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 21:23 Mon 2/3/2014

Does this run on an ipad?

blomster
beers 294 º places 7 º 21:52 Mon 2/3/2014

A few hours of work today, then off to RBWG in Asheville tomorrow morning and my work computer can fold full time for a week.

sethdude
beers 708 º places 17 º 06:30 Tue 2/4/2014

Originally posted by TheHOFF43

Nope.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 06:37 Tue 2/4/2014

Originally posted by sethdude
Originally posted by TheHOFF43

Nope.

Damn. Hoping to add a machine sometime, just to boost my scores a bit.