AB just bought Elysian, thoughts?

Reads 25527 • Replies 395 • Started Friday, January 23, 2015 11:28:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 14:49 Sat 1/24/2015

Originally posted by Reid
Originally posted by MaxxDaddy
"Documented" accounts, Reid. We have all heard that this is what goes on on Capitol Hill or local legislatures for a number of industries. For this industry, recent history suggests that InBev and the like will have a much harder time achieving this end you described. People are willing to put in the hard work to prevent stuff like this from happening. Look at Florida. Now, I’m not naive enough to say that InBev won’t try to do this in any number of ways, but I think saying that these laws will definitely pass is pretty alarmist.

Well i agree for the most part. Again the last time they tried in Oregon they failed because they were viewed as outside bullies.
This time they wont be outside.
I worry about that

If you honestly worry about that, your life is sad.

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 14:55 Sat 1/24/2015

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
"Documented" accounts, Reid. We have all heard that this is what goes on on Capitol Hill or local legislatures for a number of industries. For this industry, recent history suggests that InBev and the like will have a much harder time achieving this end you described. People are willing to put in the hard work to prevent stuff like this from happening. Look at Florida. Now, I’m not naive enough to say that InBev won’t try to do this in any number of ways, but I think saying that these laws will definitely pass is pretty alarmist.

Well i agree for the most part. Again the last time they tried in Oregon they failed because they were viewed as outside bullies.
I worry about that

Why are you even on a site dedicated to beer if you really dont care about stuff like this?

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 15:05 Sat 1/24/2015

The amnesia strikes again. OK lets make it simple. Large corporations wants law that favor them. Get lobbyists to wave money in front of politicians. Politicians draft bill that favor large corporations.
And they all live happily ever after.

ANHEUSER-BUSCH ranks 17th amongst lobbying organizations
Last year they spend for Lobbying Expenditures: $3,830,000
This was actually a decrease from 2013.

They spend $2,710,000 on their OWN INTERNAL lobbyists
They have two former congressmen as external lobbyists

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 15:08 Sat 1/24/2015

I really dont think those under 40 understand the struggle to get a choice of beer.
Thats why i worry when young people take the side of a megalith like AB-InBev

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 15:25 Sat 1/24/2015

I worry about that

Why are you even on a site dedicated to beer if you really dont care about stuff like this?

Because I like beer, some of the people and the database.

My life has more important stuff going on than worrying about brewery takeovers and Anheuser Busch lobbyists.

sthlm
beers 790 º places 147 º 15:34 Sat 1/24/2015

I worry about that

Because I like beer, some of the people and the database.

My life has more important stuff going on than worrying about brewery takeovers and Anheuser Busch lobbyists.

Your last two posts have been pretty condescending and uncalled for.

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 15:38 Sat 1/24/2015

Re: "My life has more important stuff going on than worrying about brewery takeovers and Anheuser Busch lobbyists."

Surprising to find you so active in a thread about brewery takeovers by AB, then. :)

Beerdrinker79
beers 2189 º places 7 º 15:49 Sat 1/24/2015

Have you ever walked down the chip aisle and tried to buy a bag of chips what wasn’t sold by Frito-Lay? They own like 95% of the space, control the prices ($4.59 for a bag of freakin chips, seriously?), I worry about the industry we love, i just don’t want that to happen!

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 16:03 Sat 1/24/2015

Thats why i worry when young people take the side of a megalith like AB-InBev

I think I have a general skepticism when it comes to large corporations like ABIn-Bev. So, basically anything they do I consider evil.

I too am surprised when anyone on this forum takes a non-offensive stance against macro breweries. Its usually followed with comments about quality of beer, price, and free market, which I find to be a very shortsighted view. Large companies like ABIn-Bev and Kraft will always lead their products toward homogenization to appeal to the largest audience possible. Smaller companies do not need to appeal to as large of an audience, thus their product isn’t subject to the same market forces. This is already obvious in most Red Hook, Widmer, and common Goose Island beers. When was the last time anyone cared about Old Dominion Brewing Company?

On the flip side, I absolutely loved my visit to the AB StL brewery for festival lights.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 16:39 Sat 1/24/2015

Originally posted by adnielsen
Originally posted by Prufrockstar
Re: "My life has more important stuff going on than worrying about brewery takeovers and Anheuser Busch lobbyists."

Surprising to find you so active in a thread about brewery takeovers by AB, then. :)