AB just bought Elysian, thoughts?

Reads 25528 • Replies 395 • Started Friday, January 23, 2015 11:28:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 12:13 Tue 1/27/2015

Originally posted by Reid
There is no way this guy gives a second though about doing anything with Elysian or 10 Barrel if it will save a few cents per unit.

They will do the opposite. There’s a genuine issue for small brewers here, and it’s worth understanding, but this is NOT what it is.

It’s much more likely they will undercut competing small brewers by way underpricing Elysian kegs (along with others in their portfolio). They will be happy to take a write-off in order to hold space in the kinds of bars and bottle shops where they currently have little or none.

77ships
beers 14200 º places 918 º 13:09 Tue 1/27/2015

This actually made the Belgian newspaper that I read. This does count as big news. It was actually printed next to an article about the RB top beer awards.

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 13:58 Tue 1/27/2015

Originally posted by after4ever
There is no way this guy gives a second though about doing anything with Elysian or 10 Barrel if it will save a few cents per unit.

They will do the opposite. There’s a genuine issue for small brewers here, and it’s worth understanding, but this is NOT what it is.

It’s much more likely they will undercut competing small brewers by way underpricing Elysian kegs (along with others in their portfolio). They will be happy to take a write-off in order to hold space in the kinds of bars and bottle shops where they currently have little or none.

Yes i can see that, they tried it with Goose Island stuff but it failed ( up here), they learned a lesson and bought some PNW breweries..probably will succeed this time.
I feel bad for Dick Cantwell..been reading more stuff that he was outvoted.
Must suck for him

X
beers 172 º places 1 º 18:09 Tue 1/27/2015

Any predictions on who will fall next: Rogue? Bells? Victory?

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 23:47 Tue 1/27/2015

Originally posted by after4ever

This.

For example, Microsoft was willing to lose billions on their Games Division in the name of buying market share. (Xbox One lost about $400 million in gross margins for Microsoft during last Fiscal Year alone.) They can afford to do this because of the revenue from their larger software and hardware portfolio. AB has plenty of other places to take up the slack to by craft beer market share.

Sony and Nintendo are way, way bigger than any craft brewer I can name. This doesn’t end well.

obguthr
beers 11686 º places 22 º 07:01 Wed 1/28/2015

Originally posted by X
Any predictions on who will fall next: Rogue? Bells? Victory?

Rogue Nation would revolt. I don’t know about the other two.

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 13:36 Wed 1/28/2015

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 13:56 Wed 1/28/2015

Originally posted by Prufrockstar
Nice Brewbound article: http://www.brewbound.com/news/inside-b-inbevs-acquisition-elysian-brewing

Interesting article.
I still think the smaller breweries up here are about to be f*cked and Elysian will be at the vanguard of the f*cking.
They mention bloodbath in the segment..it will be Elysian at ABs behest leading the bloodbath.
Look for new State laws in the next couple of years restricting smaller breweries.

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 14:03 Wed 1/28/2015

Anyway aren’t Elysian and 10 Barrel just part of AB-Inbev now and can be lumped in with Anheuser-Busch InBev page on here?

theisti
beers 5287 º places 1153 º 14:26 Wed 1/28/2015

Anyway aren’t Elysian and 10 Barrel just part of AB-Inbev now and can be lumped in with Anheuser-Busch InBev page on here?

Appears to have been done already with the standard labeling (AB-InBev)

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/10-barrel-brewing-ab-inbev/9667/
http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/elysian-brewing-ab-inbev/649/