AB just bought Elysian, thoughts?

Reads 25532 • Replies 395 • Started Friday, January 23, 2015 11:28:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Originally posted by footbalm
It’s going to happen, there is nothing we can do to stop it. It’s part of the American dream to start a business and then sell it and be financially secure. It happens in EVERY industry in this country but because we are beer people it bothers us. If this was Boise Cascade & Weyerhauser we wouldn’t give a shit. The day that Larry B. & Joey R sell out I will be worried. Let’s stop berating each other.
I agree with the not berating each other sentiment, but we owe it to ourselves and this community to examine our feelings about these kinds of purchases. I have never had a beer from Elysian, and as far as that goes, I don’t have a "dog in the fight." However, I’m very concerned about AB takeovers being a good thing, especially if we justify this based solely on taste and price. Again, we consider the ethics behind the food we eat, and we are often shocked to find out what lies beyond our vision when granted a glimpse via media. And again I worry about a craft beer climate where AB buyout is considered some sort of goal. Will brands then start to focus their efforts on a perceived buyout, and take the focus away from brewer/patron centered beer? What other hard to see realities await us if this is our future?

BuckeyeBoy
beers 17555 º places 275 º 20:53 Sat 1/24/2015

Nice positive post footbalm. Your such a lover and not a hater

poisoneddwarf
beers 5619 º places 26 º 20:59 Sat 1/24/2015

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
And again I worry about a craft beer climate where AB buyout is considered some sort of goal. Will brands then start to focus their efforts on a perceived buyout, and take the focus away from brewer/patron centered beer? What other hard to see realities await us if this is our future?

There was some talk when AB bought 10 Barrel that the owners of 10 Barrel had this planned from the very start. Their father was a prominent Budweiser wholesaler. So they grow up their whole lives with a father who is a fairly prominent figure in the AB company, they create a craft brewery years later, then sell to AB for tons of cash when it gets big? Seems pretty fishy.

Brigadier
beers 4930 º places 334 º 21:44 Sat 1/24/2015

I have not had time to read all 30 pages of the thread but my feeling is that even if the quality does not change too much at Elysian this is a mixed blessing for the craft beer scene. On the one hand it allows brands to get much more reach than they would have otherwise. On the other it very well may encourage people to try to start more breweries in the hope of being purchased (the same way that certain people approach startups in other industries).

Assuming an end game is similar to wine or spirits where you have many brands all owned by a few umbrella companies there are worse outcomes. The barrier to starting your own brewery isn’t that high so I think there will always be a place for those who wish to truly drink local. The problem will come with the squeeze on shelf space. If InBev can force normal stores to give over a higher share of stock that does hinder the ability of the Against the Grains and the Modern Times to build market share. If that happens then maybe I stop caring so much and shift my focus to other hobbies.

CLevar
places 23 º 21:56 Sat 1/24/2015

What’s this "Shelf space" thing?

You can always go buy beer on tap and in growler on site.

Can’t get more fresh. Can’t beat the price. Won’t ever be more "local". And you are supporting the brewery/taproom well as they are getting much better margins.

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 22:05 Sat 1/24/2015

Originally posted by CLevar

Can’t get more fresh. Can’t beat the price. Won’t ever be more "local". And you are supporting the brewery/taproom well as they are getting much better margins.

I agree mostly,but sometimes your in a small strange town without a brewery and you want a beer to enjoy in your tent/cabin/trailer/hotel room.
Even in Oregon this is possible.
And also you’ve just finished work ay midnight and want to go home have a beer then go to bed.

bhensonb
beers 21964 º places 678 º 22:12 Sat 1/24/2015

Depends on how things develop. Miller buying Celis/Austin didn’t go all that well. AB buying Goose Island seems to go better than that. If the big guys keep hands off, and encourage creativity, all will be well. Miller buying Crispin Cider seems to be going decently.

dicemanstl
beers 21 º places 1 º 22:47 Sat 1/24/2015

I am happy for the Elysian guys since I am always happy when an entrepreneur can cash the fuck out, but sad that AB has a foothold in Seattle/PNW...

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 23:21 Sat 1/24/2015

What if your last name was O’Pinion?

Beerdrinker79
beers 2189 º places 7 º 23:37 Sat 1/24/2015

Originally posted by CLevar

As if you’ve never bought a beer off the shelf, seriously!