AB just bought Elysian, thoughts?

Reads 25535 • Replies 395 • Started Friday, January 23, 2015 11:28:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DrSilverworm
beers 11383 º places 123 º 16:46 Sat 1/24/2015

This thread didn’t exist 2 days ago, and now it’s at 28 pages.. Can I get a tl;dr?

JMerritt
places 72 º 16:50 Sat 1/24/2015

Originally posted by brenn79
Have you ever walked down the chip aisle and tried to buy a bag of chips what wasn’t sold by Frito-Lay? They own like 95% of the space, control the prices ($4.59 for a bag of freakin chips, seriously?), I worry about the industry we love, i just don’t want that to happen!

How many craft potato chip manufacturers are opening up per day in this country?

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 18:05 Sat 1/24/2015

Originally posted by JMerritt
Originally posted by brenn79
Have you ever walked down the chip aisle and tried to buy a bag of chips what wasn’t sold by Frito-Lay? They own like 95% of the space, control the prices ($4.59 for a bag of freakin chips, seriously?), I worry about the industry we love, i just don’t want that to happen!

How many craft potato chip manufacturers are opening up per day in this country?

How similar to the chip aisle was the beer aisle 10 years ago? Actually, the supermarket beer aisle in major parts of this country is still 95% macro.

CLevar
places 23 º 18:10 Sat 1/24/2015

Originally posted by DrSilverworm
This thread didn’t exist 2 days ago, and now it’s at 28 pages.. Can I get a tl;dr?

"THE SKY IS FALLING!"

vs.

"Eh. Drink good beer."

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 18:21 Sat 1/24/2015

Originally posted by CLevar
Originally posted by DrSilverworm

"THE SKY IS FALLING!"

vs.

"Eh. Drink good beer."

or
"I don’t think its a bad thing for AB-Inbev to buy Elysian"

vs

"I thinks its bad"

My 0.02¢

Many of us seem to care very much about where our food comes from- but why is it that beer comes down to taste and price? As a site, at large, I feel that we used to care a bit more about who was making our beer, where the money went, etc. but the more recent trends show otherwise. Do we now consider coporate takeover the endgame of craft brewing? A "mission accomplished" if you will?

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 18:29 Sat 1/24/2015

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
As a site, at large, I feel that we used to care a bit more about who was making our beer, where the money went, etc. but the more recent trends show otherwise.

I don’t remember anyone taking AB’s side when they bought over Old Dominion. However, craft beer has grown as has the audience of RB. So, its either we have more people and that equates to more opinions or we have new people that think differently.

CLevar
places 23 º 18:32 Sat 1/24/2015

Well, I’d say that some of the best beef I’ve ever had is local, grass fed stuff. Nice and fresh, great flavor, etc. The same can be said for veggies; I love going to the farmers market, because I know I am going to get the best tasting produce for the best price I’ll find anywhere.

BUT...if that beef and those veggies tasted terrible, I would not buy them. Period.

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
As a site, at large, I feel that we used to care a bit more about who was making our beer, where the money went, etc. but the more recent trends show otherwise.

I don’t remember anyone taking AB’s side when they bought over Old Dominion. However, craft beer has grown as has the audience of RB. So, its either we have more people and that equates to more opinions or we have new people that think differently.
Some of the folks on this thread who have spoken favorably about AB are not newbies... minds have been changed, and I’m personally curious as to why.

CLevar
places 23 º 18:40 Sat 1/24/2015

Originally posted by beastiefan2k

Some of the folks on this thread who have spoken favorably about AB are not newbies... minds have been changed, and I’m personally curious as to why.

Careful.

Speaking favorably about good beer =/= speaking favorably of AB.

I just so happens that sometimes good beer can be produced by AB.