AB just bought Elysian, thoughts?

Reads 25531 • Replies 395 • Started Friday, January 23, 2015 11:28:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 03:09 Fri 1/30/2015

Originally posted by mkgrenwel
Originally posted by CharmCityCrab

Craft beer fans didn’t seem to really buy into all-malt Michelob or Shock Top, though the latter sells well to a different market. I think AB-Inbev at that point decided "Hey, if we can’t invent our own version of craft beer in a way consumers of craft beer respond to, why not just buy some pre-existing craft companies and tell them to keep doing what they are doing the way they are already doing?". It might work. How’s Goose Island selling?

This is the way I’m reading it. They’ve had trouble launching their own quality craft brands and being taken seriously by the craft drinkers, so they’re trying the next move: buy established, respected craft brands and see if they can hold on the majority of that cred.

I’m really curious to know the sales numbers on Goose Island. From my vantage point it’s looked remarkably successful. I know Reid has been banging the "GI is a failure in the PWN" drum, but I’m not convinced that’s anything more than limited anecdote and wishful thinking.

This idea that they want to buy these brands so they can corner the market and then go back to selling pale lagers is some tin foil hat level shit. They don’t care what they sell, they just want to make money. They’ve seen craft beer whittle away their market share for a number of years now, and figure if they can’t beat ’em, join ’em.

Well it is of course anecdotal about Goose Island up here, but over a year ago the shelves of all the big grocers carried a couple of Goose Island beers ,Safeway carried some of their "big bottle" beers like Sophie, many of the Growler rooms started getting a Goose Island tap in and many marginal dive bars suddenly saw a Goose Island tap take the place of the old reliable Bridgeport IPA.
Of course by popular demand LOL
They are almost all gone now just Safeway and a few cheap cig and beer places.
Which is why i guess they bought 10 Barel and Elysian because they had no idea of the local loyaltry of craft drinkers up here.Must have flabbergasted them.
Who wouldn’t in Oregon shell out more for a 6 pack of Honkers from NY then they pay for Deschutes etc?
Everything i have seen recently seems to scream that AB weren’t the experts on beer that we all thought.
From not being able to persuade folks that Shock Top was as good as real craft brew..to not being able to brew their own IPA and sell it and from not knowing much about the PNW scene.
Maybe they also got it wrong with Elysian and they will be defeated.
But at the moment this feels like a grave blow to the craft beer movement.

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 03:36 Fri 1/30/2015

BY the way why arent Goose Islands beers that are brewed in AB facilities under the Anheuser-Busch page at least?

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 12:03 Sat 1/31/2015

Sorry to revive this thread again, but out of interest in AB "craft" penetration i looked around many of the places that sell beer in Salem including large retailers.
Goose Island seems to have totally vanished except a few old six packs in Grocery Outlet..and they are selling that for HIGH prices.
10 Barrels is more prominent in the big grocers, they have 6s,12s and bombers all with good space. Its weird their bombers are reasonable/cheap but there 6s and 12s are very expensive..around $2 more than the rest of the pack.
Elysian hasn’t changed yet..a few bombers and the odd six pack. Again bombers reasonable six packs way expensive.
Im finding it hard to discern ABs tactics here..charge far more for their "crafts" so they don’t compete with Shock Top?
I hope so because they have a good chance of failure

and oh the likes of Michelob has all but gone

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 21:05 Sat 1/31/2015

Just came back from my pre-Superbowl trip to the local grocery store.

Elysian bombers are on sale for just a skosh more than half price.

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 21:20 Sat 1/31/2015

Originally posted by bitbucket
Just came back from my pre-Superbowl trip to the local grocery store.

Elysian bombers are on sale for just a skosh more than half price.

WOw..
Trying to keep customers?

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 21:29 Sat 1/31/2015

Its looking obvious to me now that AB-INbev at first thought they could buy Goose Island and ramp up production in their own mega breweries and make GI a nationwide brand probably to compete with Sierra Nevada or even Sam Adams.
It didnt work..at least up here so they needed to buy some PNW breweries to cover.
Damn IT why couldn’t we have at least pretended to buy crappy Honkers Ale!!

Prufrockstar
beers 2132 º places 83 º 13:05 Mon 4/13/2015

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 13:20 Mon 4/13/2015

Originally posted by Prufrockstar
Dick Cantwell resigns from AB/Elysian: http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/dick-cantwell-resigns-from-anheuserbusch-elysian/

Damn you. I was just about to start a new thread titled:

"No More Dick @ Anheuser-Busch"

or something equally childish.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 13:43 Mon 4/13/2015

I feel awful for Cantwell, really. His baby is not his baby anymore, really. It’s been kidnapped.

He will land on his feet for sure, and probably never needs to work again, anyway (though I imagine he has to give back his share of the buyout proceeds since he is leaving so early).

But that dude basically was that brewery for two decades, and did an awful lot for the Puget Sound region brewing scene. I wish him nothing but the best.

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 14:25 Mon 4/13/2015

Don’t expect painted bottles, the original illustration of a picket fence, or beer brewed in glass-lined tanks with water from the original area using the same recipe as was used pre-buyout...

Signed,
Bitter Rolling Rock drinker