I will never again drink a budwieser.

Reads 15539 • Replies 164 • Started Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:03:14 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

rennat42
beers 5366 º places 205 º 22:02 Sun 2/1/2015

Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
I think they could have touted the quality of their beer without basically calling out people who sometimes like to drink more flavorful beer or variant styles. I have no problem with Budweiser making Budweisers, they taste fine for what they are, and I like the lower price point relative to craft. I’d just rather drink a good IPA or something than a macro lager 99% of the time, if you take price out of the picture (In the real world, price is in the picture a lot more often than 1% of the time, though!).

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I didn’t dislike the ad because it touted Budweiser as a beer, I didn’t like the ad because it made fun of craft beer and craft beer drinkers. Although, you know, I’ll live. ;) It was an interesting enough ad to log in and talk about. That’s something. I’m sure this thread will provide me some good reading the next couple days, so I guess in a roundabout way I have Inbev to thank for that.

I thought they were a little out of line, though.

I agree with a lot of what you’ve said. I have probably had less than a 6 pack worth of Bud in my entire life and I just finished up going through college, where I should have been downing a 30 pack every weekend, but I will drink it if someone offers it to me, even though I don’t purchase it.

Personally, I thought the commercial was a funny jab and had no intent in making craft beer drinkers look bad, it’s just advertising. You’re suppose to try to sell down your competition and make them look worse than you are. Hell, the average Bud drinker probably had no idea what they were talking about and probably thought it had to do with foo-foo coffee or some new espresso flavor at Starbucks.

I have a feeling though a lot of people are going to be offended or pissed at this commercial, yet have no problem talking about how shitty Bud or any other macro is. Why can craft folks talk crap about macros but Bud puts out a commercial with some snarky comments and they should be boycotted.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 22:09 Sun 2/1/2015

Originally posted by Drjohnrock
Originally posted by joet
The Bud ad looks down on beer geeks like a bunch of theater people or chess enthusiasts.

Judging by my admittedly less-than-scientific observations in my area, a growing number of sports bar loving rednecks are starting to drink craft beer. A-B must be shitting their pants. I love it!

I keep seeing the shitting your pants comments and I have to ask why people think that?

Originally posted by pepsican
Originally posted by Drjohnrock
Originally posted by joet
The Bud ad looks down on beer geeks like a bunch of theater people or chess enthusiasts.

Judging by my admittedly less-than-scientific observations in my area, a growing number of sports bar loving rednecks are starting to drink craft beer. A-B must be shitting their pants. I love it!

I keep seeing the shitting your pants comments and I have to ask why people think that?
Besides craft beer’s growing market share, I think a strong answer lays within the advertising. When you feel threatened by a group, one way to handle that is to frame the other group in a certain light. It’s especially effective if the picture you are painting contains some elements of truth- such as the idea that craft beer drinkers take themselves too seriously (not a completely out of hand idea). The fact that they attack "us" in their advertising does show a level of fear on their part- if they didn’t perceive us as a threat, then why would they target us in such a way?

Drjohnrock
beers 1292 º places 67 º 22:28 Sun 2/1/2015

Because A-B/InBev is starting to get very uneasy about craft. While they still sell a hell of a lot of Budweiser, it has slipped in market share while craft beer has gained share. And if the blue collar types they see as their most loyal customers are starting to drift over to craft, then that heightens their anxiety. As noted upthread, if they didn’t see craft beer as a real threat, why acknowledge craft at all in the commercial, much less diss it? If they weren’t really worried, they would stick to cute dogs.

mstrcrwly
beers 1000 º places 19 º 23:33 Sun 2/1/2015

commercial was total bullshit..AB bought Goose Island a few years ago and just bought Elysian..two faced advertising as usual..who gives a fuck..all based on fear and consumption and now they want in on craft beer train.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 23:38 Sun 2/1/2015

I didn’t really think much of the ad other than it kind of reverted to the lowest common denominator mentality. And I’m guessing for the most part, people with that sort of mindset aren’t likely "converts" to micros anyway.

It mostly just reminded me of acquaintances who think that it’s the correct approach to toss homophobic insults to the guy who brings a sixer of some micro beer to a BBQ while they chug 18 Keystone Lights. I’m not opposed to either means of consumption, but it’s not really doing anything except showing who the asshole at the party is.

Personally I am "that guy" at a brewery or bar a lot of the time who is sniffing this and that and taking notes, and I recognize that it’s kind of ridiculous. So while I didn’t really take any umbrage with them poking fun at that behavior, I think the intent wasn’t just to tease the beer losers like myself but to somehow insinuate that you’re less of a man or whatever because of what/how you drink.

So...yeah, basically I didn’t think it was that much different from any other low level manipulation you see in advertising, whether it’s cell phones, cars, computers, or whatever. Just trying to make somebody feel insecure enough with their behaviors or possessions to spend a few bucks.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 02:52 Mon 2/2/2015

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 02:54 Mon 2/2/2015

It is different because this reeks of desperation and is confirmation that they are threatened by good beer. People like flavors. Budweiser is here to let you know to "Fuck flavor! Be an alcoholic!"

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1252 º 04:29 Mon 2/2/2015

People here are acting like the commercial is intended for us at all. It’s not. We’re the butt of a joke, not an attack. This is what their core customer already thinks about us anyway.

Leighton
beers 33786 º places 1204 º 04:48 Mon 2/2/2015

Beechwood aged since 1876? That’s a long time to age a beer.