I will never again drink a budwieser.

Reads 15540 • Replies 164 • Started Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:03:14 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 04:56 Mon 2/2/2015

Originally posted by Drake
People here are acting like the commercial is intended for us at all. It’s not. We’re the butt of a joke, not an attack. This is what their core customer already thinks about us anyway.

Then why spend $1M telling people who are not craft beer drinkers that craft beer is silly if they already know it is silly?

Leighton
beers 33786 º places 1204 º 05:02 Mon 2/2/2015

I was moderately repulsed by this ad. Aside from the glaring hypocrisy, misinformation and sexism, I was probably most bothered by the attempt to drive a wedge between two sub-sets of American society.

If you ask me, there are already enough rifts in the US: political, ideological, racial, social, etc. A corporation actively trying to set two groups in opposition to each other is, I think, a bit off-putting.

Additionally, AB InBev encouraging people to NOT think critically (don’t ’fuss over’ or ’dissect’ your beer; just drink it) is astoundingly unsavory.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 05:08 Mon 2/2/2015

I liked it. Bud embracing what it is instead of trying to be something it’s not. Meanwhile craft geeks make an easy and humorous target, and I’m surprised the big companies haven’t done more of that.

ghawener
beers 1671 º places 101 º 05:45 Mon 2/2/2015

Now millions of non craft beer drinkers know that there is something else out there..... Start brewing your pumpkin peach ales!

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 06:07 Mon 2/2/2015

Watching all the beer nerds get upset about this on Twitter last night was so sad.

Like people actually tweeting at ABInbev they were so mad.

The commercial was definitely a commercial targeting their base. Their base customers are not interested in craft beer. They feel exactly like the commercial said. They probably enjoyed the commercial immensely.

Watching the "Respect Beer" crowd get all bent out of shape and madbro about it was like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.

GlasgowTAD
beers 2015 º places 38 º 06:12 Mon 2/2/2015

Originally posted by Leighton
I was moderately repulsed by this ad. Aside from the glaring hypocrisy, misinformation and sexism, I was probably most bothered by the attempt to drive a wedge between two sub-sets of American society.

If you ask me, there are already enough rifts in the US: political, ideological, racial, social, etc. A corporation actively trying to set two groups in opposition to each other is, I think, a bit off-putting.

Additionally, AB InBev encouraging people to NOT think critically (don’t ’fuss over’ or ’dissect’ your beer; just drink it) is astoundingly unsavory.

The Divide & Conquer strategy springs to mind...

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 07:11 Mon 2/2/2015

Elysian’s Facebook page is classic, right now.

Ahhh, the sweet irony of selling out to new corporate overlords who promptly insult your customer base on the biggest stage in the world!

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 07:15 Mon 2/2/2015

Originally posted by TheAlum
Watching all the beer nerds get upset about this on Twitter last night was so sad.

Like people actually tweeting at ABInbev they were so mad.

The commercial was definitely a commercial targeting their base. Their base customers are not interested in craft beer. They feel exactly like the commercial said. They probably enjoyed the commercial immensely.

Watching the "Respect Beer" crowd get all bent out of shape and madbro about it was like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.

You’re just butthurt because your boys at Goose Island are already known sellouts.

b3shine
beers 12211 º places 372 º 07:29 Mon 2/2/2015

I drink Budweiser when I don’t want to have to think.

It’s okay that tens of millions of people nationwide prefer this approach throughout their entire lives. Keeps more of the good stuff around for me.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 07:42 Mon 2/2/2015

Just watched the ad and love it. The exact choice of hipsters portrayed was a bit odd, or at least seemed so to me: bit chunky.