I will never again drink a budwieser.

Reads 15536 • Replies 164 • Started Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:03:14 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hannont
beers 2 º places 7 º 08:50 Mon 2/2/2015

Brian Perkins, vice president of marketing for Budweiser, refers to "a small corner of the beer landscape that is overwrought, true snobbery: Where people make preposterous flavor combinations that are a proxy for high quality. That is the antithesis of what Budweiser is all about."

http://www.askmen.com/sports/fanatic/mystery-budweiser-super-bowl-ad.html

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 09:25 Mon 2/2/2015

I enjoyed it. I watched the game at a brewery, everyone there was laughing. Spot on with the sharing of tiny pours of flights. Lots of neckbeards. Really funny. I appreciate the humor, think they are spot on. Also, it was a Budweiser commercial, not an ABinbev commercial. Budweiser does not own Goose Island or Elysian, it is a brand they are marketing.

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 09:31 Mon 2/2/2015

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
I enjoyed it. I watched the game at a brewery, everyone there was laughing. Spot on with the sharing of tiny pours of flights. Lots of neckbeards. Really funny. I appreciate the humor, think they are spot on. Also, it was a Budweiser commercial, not an ABinbev commercial. Budweiser does not own Goose Island or Elysian, it is a brand they are marketing.

Same megacorp owns all three brands, though. Ultimately, its the same chain of command up past a certain level, and the money goes into the same pockets.

bhops
beers 433 º places 37 º 09:40 Mon 2/2/2015

Take it as a compliment.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 10:25 Mon 2/2/2015

Since the invention of the DVR, I haven’t watched a commercial.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 10:31 Mon 2/2/2015

Originally posted by hannont
preposterous flavor combinations that are a proxy for high quality.

This part of his statement I agree with.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 10:34 Mon 2/2/2015

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Elysian’s Facebook page is classic, right now.

Ahhh, the sweet irony of selling out to new corporate overlords who promptly insult your customer base on the biggest stage in the world!

I’m guessing that 2014 was a tough year for overlords.

I’d be interested to see the overall beer sales numbers for 2014. I don’t see them yet, but in 2013 it looks to me like Bud sales were down almost 10%? I’m saying this because overall beer sales down 1.9%, and craft beer sales in 2013 was 7.8% of the market. (This all assumes that craft beer drinkers are former AB drinkers.)

Given the trends for the last several years, including 20% sales growth in 2013, craft beer ought to be in double digit percentages before too long. And as Everett Dirksen once said, "A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon, you’re talking real money." Real money AB wishes they still had. So now they need to make a concerted effort to acquire craft breweries while avoiding the perception that the no longer "love" customers for their own product. And roll the second AB Superbowl add in three, two, one...

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 10:49 Mon 2/2/2015

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Elysian’s Facebook page is classic, right now.

Ahhh, the sweet irony of selling out to new corporate overlords who promptly insult your customer base on the biggest stage in the world!

There is a long post on their Facebook page explaining the Elysian stance on the sellout. In part it says, "So, what next? Well, this week has been oddly similar to last week with the notable exception that a lot more people hate us."

And that was before the Superbowl ad.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16559 º places 794 º 10:56 Mon 2/2/2015

Man, beer nerds are a whiny, sensitive bunch.

jjsint
beers 7761 º places 1335 º 10:57 Mon 2/2/2015

"Michelob Ultra Tuscan Orange Grapefruit. My God! America is imploding." Ted