I will never again drink a budwieser.

Reads 15547 • Replies 164 • Started Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:03:14 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

williamherbert
beers 1544 º places 61 º 22:34 Tue 2/3/2015

This is like Michael Bay shitting on Martin Scorcese.
This is like Wendy’s shitting on a gourmet grass-fed angus burger.
This is like Jerry Springer shitting on "The Wire."
This is like Jon Bon Jovi shitting on Led Zeppelin.

Just because the monkeys start flinging their feces at the civilized, it doesn’t mean they have a point.

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 23:42 Tue 2/3/2015

I didn’t see the ad during the Super Bowl, so I thought this was a parody because it made Bud drinkers look like drunks with no taste. I laughed pretty hard when I found out it is real. That was my only reaction to the ad.

Well, that and there are going to be so many peach pumpkin ales now that it’ll almost warrant being its own style.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 23:53 Tue 2/3/2015

Had a brief chat with a former marketing VP for Miller. His thoughts:

1. The ad was created long before the Elysian acquisition, so the whole "Pumpkin Peach" thing was a non-issue when the ad was written.
2. The idea behind the ad was "be proud of who you are," which he applauds, BUT... the execution was pretty horrible. He says he imagines that the people at AB were really excited to get the the ad in front of the Superbowl audience, but the day after had to be a horrible experience in the marketing department.

So, as I’ve already said, there really is such a thing as bad publicity.

poisoneddwarf
beers 5660 º places 26 º 07:32 Wed 2/4/2015

I think the best response from craft beer drinkers is either outright mockery of AB or a "who cares, ignore it, let’s keep drinking good beer" attitude. Getting all pissed off and fussy makes craft beer drinkers look exactly like those stereotypes in the commercial. Ninkasi does it right: http://youtu.be/ZEKqLxtjwDQ

poisoneddwarf
beers 5660 º places 26 º 08:31 Wed 2/4/2015

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
Originally posted by bitbucket
AB in talks to acquire one of the 5 largest craft brewers...

Do they make a pumpkin peach beer?

I assume you’re referring to this?

Much, much larger. My uncle is a prominent businessman in Rehoboth Beach, DE. Was talking to him tonight about my trip there this summer and he mentioned some stuff. Not saying its Dogfish Head (it isn’t) but he heard it from someone at DFH whom he knows quite well.

Please say it isn’t Deschutes or New Belgium. Both companies have made comments along the lines of "AB isn’t that bad." And since the owner of NB is Dick Cantwell’s girlfriend, it seems pretty possible.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 09:50 Wed 2/4/2015

Originally posted by poisoneddwarf

Much, much larger. My uncle is a prominent businessman in Rehoboth Beach, DE. Was talking to him tonight about my trip there this summer and he mentioned some stuff. Not saying its Dogfish Head (it isn’t) but he heard it from someone at DFH whom he knows quite well.

Please say it isn’t Deschutes or New Belgium. Both companies have made comments along the lines of "AB isn’t that bad." And since the owner of NB is Dick Cantwell’s girlfriend, it seems pretty possible.

rdp303
beers 1 º 11:02 Wed 2/4/2015

I don’t get it - it was an add that IMO says "This Bud is for you" - the ones that don’t fuss or smell the beer but like a consistent cold beer. I am not a Bud drinker (do enjoy PBR and High Life on Friday nights playing darts) but some in the thread act like the craft world has no secrets. Look at how much "craft" is contract brewed. Is it really the hard way if it is contracted out to be produced? I am all about the final product being something I enjoy no matter if it is from a mom and pop 10 barrel set-up or 16M barrel maker.

poisoneddwarf
beers 5660 º places 26 º 11:27 Wed 2/4/2015

Isn’t NB employee owned? That would mean they would all have to agree to sell, right? Unless you mean it’s Deschutes.

BlowOffTube
beers 501 º places 2 º 12:23 Wed 2/4/2015

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 13:22 Wed 2/4/2015

If i were to guess one of the "top 5" i would say Gambrinus, i have heard Deschutes say in the recent past they would never sell.
But then so did Elysian.