I will never again drink a budwieser.

Reads 15538 • Replies 164 • Started Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:03:14 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 15:00 Mon 2/2/2015

Originally posted by puzzl
Originally posted by hannont
Brian Perkins, vice president of marketing for Budweiser, refers to "a small corner of the beer landscape that is overwrought, true snobbery: Where people make preposterous flavor combinations that are a proxy for high quality.

Couldn’t agree more with this part, at least. I am sick to death of these flavored, shitty adjunct beers that have come to dominate the scene. Every single one I drink fucking sucks and I’m done wasting my money on gimmicks. Try making a real beer.

The issue isn’t the additions, though. I applaud any brewery trying new flavor combinations. That’s part of the fun, trying new things simply because you can.
The problem is when the additional flavors and additions transcend the beer itself. Balance is still a key factor, and a lot of brewers are forgetting that. If I wanted fruit juice, I’d buy some Welch’s, so don’t make my beer taste like fruit juice, just add a bit to make an interesting combination.

X
beers 172 º places 1 º 16:12 Mon 2/2/2015

Originally posted by bhops
Take it as a compliment.

Sort of like Weird Al parodying a hit song? Its usually considered a compliment to the original artists success. OK, I can see that angle.

Indra
beers 2711 º places 78 º 16:29 Mon 2/2/2015

MURICA

BEER

FOOTBALL

YEAH

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 16:31 Mon 2/2/2015

My reaction: I looked over and told my wife, "It’s cute how desperate they are."

Dogbrick
beers 18597 º places 883 º 16:41 Mon 2/2/2015

So where are all the multinational conglomeration shills from the Elysian thread now that it is a week after they purchased a craft brewery, only to shit on the people who drink the beer of the company they now own. Business is business, right?

minutemat
beers 14713 º places 551 º 16:49 Mon 2/2/2015

Last year i was lucky enough to share a pint or six with a guy who was Guinness’ head brewer in their Nairobi brewery (bigger than their Dublin plant). He told me he once met Budweiser’s head brewmasters and explained why he had the deepest respect for them. Not because he liked the beer. They clearly knew the beer was terrible. It was simply that it took great skill to make a beer so consistently lowest-common-denominator bland with the ingredients that Bud uses. The brewers know its bad. Bud’s owners & executives know its bad. But marketing & drinkability make it the biggest selling beer in the world. And thats worth protecting no matter what the cost.

Originally posted by minutemat
Last year i was lucky enough to share a pint or six with a guy who was Guinness’ head brewer in their Nairobi brewery (bigger than their Dublin plant). He told me he once met Budweiser’s head brewmasters and explained why he had the deepest respect for them. Not because he liked the beer. They clearly knew the beer was terrible. It was simply that it took great skill to make a beer so consistently lowest-common-denominator bland with the ingredients that Bud uses. The brewers know its bad. Bud’s owners & executives know its bad. But marketing & drinkability make it the biggest selling beer in the world. And thats worth protecting no matter what the cost.
Consistency (or at least quality control) is definitely something to be lauded, but are you really arguing that making consistently bland beer is something worth our respect? I have a hard time buying that.

Most of the Urquell cans, Bitburger cans, SNPA I’ve ever bought is pretty consistent, and I’d rather have any of those (and many more) over Budweiser.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 17:43 Mon 2/2/2015

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Originally posted by puzzl
Originally posted by hannont
Brian Perkins, vice president of marketing for Budweiser, refers to "a small corner of the beer landscape that is overwrought, true snobbery: Where people make preposterous flavor combinations that are a proxy for high quality.

Couldn’t agree more with this part, at least. I am sick to death of these flavored, shitty adjunct beers that have come to dominate the scene. Every single one I drink fucking sucks and I’m done wasting my money on gimmicks. Try making a real beer.

The issue isn’t the additions, though. I applaud any brewery trying new flavor combinations. That’s part of the fun, trying new things simply because you can.
The problem is when the additional flavors and additions transcend the beer itself. Balance is still a key factor, and a lot of brewers are forgetting that. If I wanted fruit juice, I’d buy some Welch’s, so don’t make my beer taste like fruit juice, just add a bit to make an interesting combination.

Very true. And the whole pumpkin peach thing still seems like a straw man fallacy.

It’s not the weird fruit beer that’s kicking so much ass all over the pale lager, which has dominated American brewing for over a century -- it’s the hop forward pale ales. These are the game changer and the reason why fewer and fewer people care about the whole category of industrial light lagers.

I can buy 250 of those locally, at very reasonable prices, that dominate every single macro pale lager offered. Most of the cheap beer people I know will now drink one if offered. They know what they taste like and will quaff one without suddenly being hammered, wimping out halfway because of bitterness, or questioning their manliness because industrial lager is somehow like power tools, trucks and football.

bhensonb
beers 22011 º places 678 º 18:15 Mon 2/2/2015

Basically the ad denigrated craft beer aficionados. The message: Don’t be a pansy ass* craft beer drinker. Be a real man and drink a zillion cans/bottles/kegs of bud.

*pansy ass
weak, spineless, head hanger who doesn’t have the guts to ask his motherfu**king deadbeat of a friend to pay back the money he owes him. (Urban Dictionary)

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 18:28 Mon 2/2/2015

Reverse beer snobbery. Admittedly, on a much grander scale.

LOL. Every time I post, it seems, I get the it’s added on the last page message.