What ya’ drinking? Part Nine!

Reads 100942 • Replies 1271 • Started Friday, November 1, 2013 7:31:53 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 17:43 Tue 12/17/2013

kdm1984
beers 1100 º places 14 º 17:46 Tue 12/17/2013

Speaking of London Pride, I am having Founders Porter. I liked LP, but as far as I’m concerned, Founders Porter blows all other somewhat widely available porters out of the water. It is so tasty my dad wanted to take it from me. lol.

EDIT: Whoops. I read London Pride and my brain translated it to London Porter. The former is a bitter, of course. I guess I need to cut off my beer for the night. :)

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 17:52 Tue 12/17/2013

Originally posted by kdm1984
Speaking of London Pride, I am having Founders Porter. I liked LP, but as far as I’m concerned, Founders Porter blows all other somewhat widely available porters out of the water. It is so tasty my dad wanted to take it from me. lol.

EDIT: Whoops. I read London Pride and my brain translated it to London Porter. The former is a bitter, of course. I guess I need to cut off my beer for the night. :)

Here are my notes from a sample I tried in 2010:

Dark, Rich & Sexy. You have my attention.

That’s a pitch black pour I’m seeing which looks great but the foam, what little there is of it to start with shrinks to a ring around the glass in an eye blink. Checking on the lacing..heck, there is some there so there’s some redemption.

The smell is light but nice. Notes of roast, chocolate, sweet malt, and a strange but nice fruity nose.

The taste is much more assertive and is delicious. Light note of milk chocolate evolves in to some good dark chocolate bitterness with a hint of some dark fruits and now, the sweeter aspects of chocolate come back to the forefront.

Now I’m getting a sense of a coffee presence...very light but I doubt my palate is lying to me. A very tasty Porter and it will be a pleasure finishing the bottle.

Medium bodied, it has a light carbonation profile. A very nice mouthfeel is the result.

Drinkability? 6.5%abv isn’t crazy strong..I guess that’s why I’m looking at the last few ounces in my glass. A good drinker and I agree with the dark and rich but sexy? lol. Good stuff.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 18:12 Tue 12/17/2013

Originally posted by kdm1984

lolz

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 12:29 Wed 12/18/2013

Troegs Mad Elf. Went great with the duck I made today and is the first beer I have cooked with that Ithought did not give up a bitterness to the dish.

Onebigtymer11
beers 59 º 15:25 Wed 12/18/2013

Drinking a bottle of Hill Farmstead Birth Of Tragendy. Really really good. I think this is right up there with bcbs if not better! I'm not just saying that just because I'm a Vermonter either!

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 16:44 Wed 12/18/2013

Goose Island Sofie. Very darn good and a good value at $8.99.

Jamesthebrit
beers 422 º places 22 º 18:10 Wed 12/18/2013

Founders Breakfast Stout!

IrishBoy
beers 4710 º places 141 º 19:58 Wed 12/18/2013

Tonight a 2011 Firestone Abacus (first bottled batch before they were forced to change the name to Sucaba)

kdm1984
beers 1100 º places 14 º 02:28 Thu 12/19/2013

Double Agent IPL.