RateBeer Summer Gathering 2014 Thread

Reads 51902 • Replies 613 • Started Monday, April 7, 2014 6:41:54 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

phaleslu
admin
beers 16538 º places 792 º 07:53 Mon 6/23/2014

A couple found items:

-Pair of flip flops. Brown. Left in the hotel suite after the Saturday night post-Grand Tasting bottle share.
-XXL shirt. NielsenRatings handed it to me.

Let me know if either of these are yours.

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 08:17 Mon 6/23/2014

Originally posted by Keir
The two Side Project releases will be:
Unblended (Barrel #40) - 375ml bottle
Oude du Furmier - 750ml

And if you made it to the dinner, you had the chance to try the BA Imperial Stout that will be released later this year. Cory is considering not carbing it and release it "as-is." Follow @sideproject to voice your opinion on this idea and for more details.

Thanks

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:40 Mon 6/23/2014

An amazing weekend.

I can say with confidence that the organization of the whole weekend was on a level I’ve never seen before. A lot of care to details and time went into this. It was an amazing weekend by the STL bros. Made sure to take some time to thank each of them.

Tons of ratings and a great feel for STL Beer was gained overall. Perennial and Side Project went above and beyond all weekend as well as the other locations that participated. I didn’t get out to 2nd Shift but of the 7-8 ticks I grabbed all weekend around town, the brewery is DEFINITELY doing the right things.

A whirlwind of faces and friends all weekend made this a great time.. but a very quick one indeed.

Spent Sunday bumming around town with deyholla ticking some places, watching US Soccer before I dropped him off at the airport and headed home.

Nice day to catch up today.

Cheers till next time,

pussypete

phaleslu
admin
beers 16538 º places 792 º 08:50 Mon 6/23/2014

Thanks for the kind words, everybody.

This weekend was the result of ~2 years of conversations between me, Keir, and Will, and about 6 months of actual planning and work. All we could ask for is that the planning paid off and resulted in a good time for everyone - and it sure seems like that is the case. If I personally seemed frazzled at any point during the weekend, I hope it didn’t rub anyone the wrong way. I was juggling a lot and operating on almost no sleep. But I can assure you that I had an awesome time and was thrilled to meet those of you I hadn’t already met, and to hang out with those of you I already had.

There were a couple mishaps (hard to say if it was a single incident or if it counts as two), as indicated in the post by jandd1983 a few pages back. I’m not sure what I want to say publicly about this quite yet, but these are being addressed privately to the best of our abilities.

Returning to the good stuff: we were showed the highest level of hospitality and generosity at 100% of the locations this weekend:

-The Omni Majestic Hotel put up with a lot and hooked us up with a few extra perks on top of it. Only one noise complaint all weekend, too.
-Urban Chestnut provided a warm, welcoming environment for the meet and greet on Thursday.
-Square One was impeccably organized in presenting four beers, and opened the bar early.
-Morgan Street promised 6 beers to pour and had 9 laid out and labeled when we got there.
-4 Hands released a new beer as we walked in the door and poured one of their most limited releases ever for us, not to mention let us eat lunch and fill their whole tap room.
-The Civil Life opened early, had a full staff, showed us around, let us try their flagship American Brown out of the tank, poured three things for free sampling, and even gave away some magnets and stickers.
-Perennial and Side Project presented bottles of their most coveted, limited releases and said, "Help yourselves." I’ve never seen anything like this. Then they let us crowd their taproom for a while.
-Dressel’s Public House served five outstanding courses for us, and all five brewers (Schlafly, 4 Hands, Perennial, 2nd Shift, and Side Project) were gracious and poured outstanding beer, including a never-before-seen, fresh-from-the-barrel one from Side Project.
-Schlafly hosted us not once, but twice on Saturday - for brunch at the Bottleworks and for the Grand Tasting at the Tap Room. Their professionalism and organization are unmatched elsewhere in the industry.
-Public House, Augusta, Scratch, and Charleville delivered great beers for us to try with brunch.
-All local brewers were generous by pouring more at the Grand Tasting.
-Anheuser-Busch was a nice way to end the weekend and had some serious macro whales for us to try.

I’ll be thanking them individually, but a very special thanks to all of the breweries and places that participated in RateBeer Summer Gathering 2014.

I’d also like to thank all of you for attending and being gracious, generous, and all-around fun to hang out with for the weekend. This community is awesome. And the brewers above sincerely appreciate your feedback here in the forums, your beer ratings, and your place ratings.

Last, but not least, thanks to Keir and Will for doing a tremendous amount of brainstorming, emailing, negotiating, organizing, calling, driving, storing, asking, listening, and everything else people can do to make sure something like this goes off with out a hitch. I’m lucky to call you two my friends.

Cheers,
Peter

phaleslu
admin
beers 16538 º places 792 º 09:07 Mon 6/23/2014

The shirt has been claimed by its owner. Still looking for the flip flop wearer who must’ve left room 808 barefoot Saturday night/Sunday morning.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:12 Mon 6/23/2014

Originally posted by phaleslu
The shirt has been claimed by its owner. Still looking for the flip flop wearer who must’ve left room 808 barefoot Saturday night/Sunday morning.

#partyen

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 09:31 Mon 6/23/2014

Originally posted by TheAlum

#partyen

Lots of LIVIN going on Saturday night.

Pretty sure NielsenRatings197 chugged a pint of Black Tuesday. Homer321’s newest favorite session beer also appears to be Barrel Aged Sump.

Also a solid combo of dance moves and 40 oz chug by CanIHave4Biebers.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 10:03 Mon 6/23/2014

Originally posted by brokensail
Originally posted by TheAlum

#partyen

Lots of LIVIN going on Saturday night.

Pretty sure NielsenRatings197 chugged a pint of Black Tuesday. Homer321’s newest favorite session beer also appears to be Barrel Aged Sump.

Also a solid combo of dance moves and 40 oz chug by CanIHave4Biebers.

All accurate except it was Kyoto BA Sump

Keir
beers 183 º places 1 º 11:23 Mon 6/23/2014

Well, I’m hooked! I can’t imagine missing another one of these and wonder how I made it this far in life without this as part of my summers.

That being said, not only did the St. Louis beer community step up and make this a great event, but all you folks who traveled from near and far to attend the events we planned helped make it a total success. Thank you! I am so happy to have met all of you and made some friends that I can’t wait to hang out and drink with again soon. Looking at you, Canadians!

I can agree with Peter on everything he posted earlier except for one minor error. We started the ground work in August of last year and pounded the pavement and sent emails time and time again to get the full buy-in of the breweries. This took a full 10 months to put together. I can’t say we didn’t have our glitches and miscommunications and fuck ups along the way. I was solving problems as late as Friday afternoon.

Anyone who wants to put together a proposal for next year, PM me and I’ll tell you where we failed and how to not do the same thing.

Can’t wait til next year when I don’t have to "work" the events and can simply drink beer until the wee hours and I can bitch about how much better the STL RBSG was.

foppa78
places 12 º 11:38 Mon 6/23/2014

Originally posted by Keir
Oh, and the Foppa cheese! The fucking Foppa cheese was a hit at Perennial and will be served at the Grand Tasting tonight as well. So damn good!

Glad as hell that my cheese made an appearance and was enjoyed. Hope some new people who hadn’t had it before were able to give it a try. This was a good place for it.