55% ABV: BrewDog The End of History

Reads 32801 • Replies 213 • Started Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:48:00 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 07:46 Thu 7/22/2010

Originally posted by FlssmrBrewAlum
Where’s the cad when you need him?

You called.

It seems you chaps knew about this before me, I only found out about an hour ago!

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 08:38 Thu 7/22/2010

Sold out already?

traPISSED
beers 106 º 09:22 Thu 7/22/2010

If they were able to stuff a tiny bottle up a mouse I might be able to afford it.

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 09:27 Thu 7/22/2010

Originally posted by puzzl
If it’s still beer "in form," do you consider scotch "still beer?" It’s really no different.

There is actually a huge difference between freeze distilling beer and the normal distilling process. W/ distilling, you leave behind all the residual sugar from the beer in the still. When you freeze distill, the end product still has the residual sugar of the beer. The effect is essentially reversed depending on the process. In the regular distilling process, most of the flavor of the fermented mash is removed and you are left w/ a spirit which is much more neutral flavored than what you started w/. W/ freeze distilling, the original flavors are concentrated for a more strongly flavored beverage in the end.

Phischy
beers 1 º places 57 º 09:38 Thu 7/22/2010

Freezing liquids isn’t brewing.

This euro ABV humping shit is just stupid. I be that beer tastes like complete ass. It’s just concentrating all the off flavors and impurities.

Brewdog has jumped the shark and have made themselve irrelevant with their media whoring.

Christian
beers 17313 º places 278 º 09:40 Thu 7/22/2010

Originally posted by Frank
Originally posted by puzzl
If it’s still beer "in form," do you consider scotch "still beer?" It’s really no different.

There is actually a huge difference between freeze distilling beer and the normal distilling process. W/ distilling, you leave behind all the residual sugar from the beer in the still. When you freeze distill, the end product still has the residual sugar of the beer. The effect is essentially reversed depending on the process. In the regular distilling process, most of the flavor of the fermented mash is removed and you are left w/ a spirit which is much more neutral flavored than what you started w/. W/ freeze distilling, the original flavors are concentrated for a more strongly flavored beverage in the end.

That’s the long version.

The short version:

You clearly haven’t tasted freeze destilled beer vs. whisky

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 09:52 Thu 7/22/2010

Originally posted by Phischy

This euro ABV humping shit is just stupid. I be that beer tastes like complete ass. It’s just concentrating all the off flavors and impurities.

Brewdog has jumped the shark and have made themselve irrelevant with their media whoring.

Tell that to eisbock makers...

DocLock
beers 11541 º places 158 º 10:50 Thu 7/22/2010

What’s the going price for a thimble full? I think 10 bucks is fair.

Phischy
beers 1 º places 57 º 11:00 Thu 7/22/2010

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by Phischy

Tell that to eisbock makers...

It still isn’t brewing, it’s distilling. Brewdog is taking it to absurd levels on top of that. Some jackass is going to say its’ the best thing they’ve ever had. 200 bottles distilled down to 1? Lot of garbage being left in that beer as it’s concentrated down.

This is just a stunt and a dumb one at that.

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 11:13 Thu 7/22/2010

It is not like BrewDog is getting cases of Carling at the grocery store and making this stuff from that. They do make the initial beer in question so they brewed that at least.